close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New .357 Glock owner; bring me up-to-date, folks...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DJ Niner, Jan 8, 2003.

1. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Picked up a used G32C last weekend, came with three 10-round mags. Also managed to find an NFML G23 mag, a FML G23 mag, and a NFML G22 mag. This is all I will likely need (and darn sure all I can afford at this time!).

I'm gonna be reading-up on the old posts here, but my main concern right now is ammo: where can I get it online, cheap, a few boxes at a time (buying a case to try it out isn't the way I do things); is there any ammo to avoid, or that you've had problems with; any other notes/helpful hints?

I fired it for the first time yesterday; was expecting a snappy-lightweight-.40 kind of recoil, but got a LOUD yet very controllable push. I swear it doesn't flip as much as my Glock nines. Initial impression: I LOVE IT!!! :)

Chalk me up as a new fan. I'm in learning mode now, whatcha got for me?

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Welcome!
    Natchez has some good sales.
    Based on past reports, S&B is not reliable in the .357 Sig loading.
    YMMV
    Enjoy!

;)

3. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

I use www.georgia-arms.com for my practice ammo.
    Good cheap fun:)

Of all the practice ammo I use the speer lawman 125 grain seems to be the most accurate.

Looking for a carry load...
    Most of us carry the 125 grain speer or proload Gold Dots.
    The winchester ranger T is also pretty nice when you can find at a good price.

4. Screaming .357G

5. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I have several guns and/or barrels in .357SIG; they are great fun to shoot.

Off the top of my head, the most intelligent advice I can bestow is:

BEWARE OF BULLET SETBACK !

Have fun.

6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

So bullet setback is bad? ;f

Hope that's not the voice of experience I hear...

So far I have tried Winchester/USA 125 FMJ; same brand 125 JHP (personal protection load); UMC/Remington 125 MC (FMJ); and Cor-Bon 125 JHP. Had one minor hang-up with a Cor-Bon; it was at the end of the session, gun was 250 rounds dirty, maybe had something to do with it? Failure to fire, so I extracted the round; it had a light hit slightly off-center, which usually means the slide failed to close completely and then the firing pin hit finished closing it. Read something familiar here in another post; maybe it's Cor-Bon related, but I will try another hundred rounds or so before I pass judgement on the load.

Anything else is appreciated....

7. Screaming .357G

I dont see the bullet setback being any worse than the .40 S&W.
    I have seen more of the .40's with a set back than any other caliber.
    (funny how those neutred 10mm's keep getting shorter all the time);)

But anyways the .357 sig can have a problem and I have seen it first hand.
    Dont keep rechambering the round and you should not have problems.
    You can give the bullets a quick thumb/pointer finger test squeeze if you have any doubts.

Most of the bullets I heard that have problems are older ammo or blazer (aluminum case) although it can happen to any of them.

8. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

i had a batch of CCI about a year ago where i could push the bullet into the case with my thumb and index finger. so far that you could see the rim of the case. thats the only problem i ever had and i still use it for practice. i think it's cheap and pretty clean too. i can't find a walmart anywhere that carries it, so when i run out, i have to throw my 40 barrel in or shoot another gun.

9. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Yes, but the subject was .357SIGs. Bullet setback is never a good thing, regardless of caliber. I think bullet setback can occur more easily with the .357SIG because there is less gripping surface between the bullet and the case. YMMV.

10. Screaming .357G

Catbird,

I know that it was about the .357 sig but what Im saying is that it is not really any worse than some other calibers I have shot/owned.

It seems that some people get really scared when they hear about the .357 sig having a set back.
    Yes it can happen and it has happend to me.

Am just saying that when a person starts getting into a caliber like .357 sig and hears that it may have a high chance of bullet setback it may or may not scare them off even though it has and can happen to many other calibers.

I remember a time when the .40 S&W 180 grain was a no-no because of bullet setback and extream case pressure.
    Heck I even heard that the infamous Glock .40 KB's were do to a combonation of bullet setback/unsupported chambers (even though most semi auto pistols dont have a fully supported chamber).

That always seemed werid to me to hear about people using the mid grain ladings like 155-160-165 to avoid the chance of a set back and high case pressure even though the .40S&W started its life as a 180 grain loading.

People should keep in mind that some of the ammo companys use a sealant to keep the bullet in place.
    Heck I remember someone on this board has a way to handload the .357 sig case full with the right powder that accualy keeps the bullet from setting back while still keeping it within the pressure limits.

But for a pic of the .357 sig set back here are two photos of one I had.
    These pics have a normal .357 sig beside of it to compare it to and this is the same bullet before and after a push to see if it would drop down into the case futher.

11. Screaming .357G

and here is the bullet after a push.

12. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Screaming .357G -

Yes, I understand. We're on the same page. Basically, we (shooters) need to be on the alert for bullet setback with any ammo. I was just trying to stay on topic. :)

I've even had bullet setback occur with .45 ACPs.

It's NEVER a good thing.

13. Screaming .357G

I just hope none of us ever have a bad set back with any ammo.
    Heck we might be Screaming then;P ;);P