Glock Talk banner

New 31 Gen4--I love it!

10K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  clarkstoncz 
#1 ·
My new 31 Gen4 shot excellently today...about a hundred rounds of 4 different reloads with nary a malfunction of any kind. The G4 texture felt great, my smallish hands appreciated the slightly smaller grip, the stock trigger is the best Glock trigger I've ever had, and it's accurate.

I'm thrilled. :supergrin:

#4 · (Edited)
It's just another Gen4 Glock, so I wasn't going to post pics, but here they are.

Compared with my many other Glocks, this new one's slide is grayer. It feels great with no additional backstrap.

More visible here is the Gen4 texturing, larger-area mag-release button, and the larger slide-lock release I had installed.

Three of the loads I shot today--left are my practice load with the Montana Gold 124HP at about 1300FPS; center are my former favorite PD load with the Hornady 124XTP at about 1400FPS; and right are my new PD load with the Barnes TAC-XP all-copper 125 at about 1300FPS. All cases are Speer once-fireds. All 3 functioned perfectly and were plenty accurate.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm curious as to why you went to the Tac-XP over the XTP? Those are the first 125s that I've seen.
KEV
First, I fell victim to Barnes's advertising and bought a couple boxes. I tested expansion in my normal way, with 1-gallon waterjugs with the first jug covered with 4 layers of denim...
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356994
...and loved the results. Since I don't consume my PD loads by the hundreds punching holes in paper, I can afford them.*

The XTPs are excellent PD bullets and excellent value too, but I feel the Barnes all-coppers are a little better.

Have tested the .45-caliber 160s too.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357431

* A box of Barnes TAC-XPs is about the same price as a box of other premium PD bullets, but you get only 40!

#8 ·
Congratulations, what a nice pistol, have you had a chance to shoot it? Indeed, as indicated in the 1st post above.

Impressions re the recoil spring v. Gen 3 setup? Haven't shot a Gen3 fullsize Glock except for my 37 in ages, so my muscle memory is as bad as my mental memory, but I didn't notice any difference. Also, I did not shoot my 32 yesterday so couldn't compare it with that pistol's recoil.

Bet the 1400 fps loads really are accurate in the longer barrel of the 31 over the 32. All 3 reloads I shot were quite accurate yesterday. I have a 4.5" LW barrel in my 32, and I'm considering buying a Storm Lake 5.2" barrel for the 31. As a Glock Certified Armorer, have you any opinions on those?

Have lots of fun shooting the 31! TYVM.

#9 · (Edited)
I guess I skim more than read nowdays, I dont have any experience with Lone Wolf barrels. I do own a Storm Lake barrel and a KKM barrel. The KKM barrel is a little more expensive, and the workmanship is much better than my Storm Lake. My Storm Lake came with a manufacturing defect. I sent the barrel back and they fixed it by reboring. SO I can say the customer service at Storm Lakes was better than their quality control. Hands down the KKM is the better made barrel and I would certainly buy another. That said I dont believe KKM makes an extended barrel for the 31. A lot of people seem to have good things to say about Storm Lake and the Lone Wolf barrels and are very satisfied with them.
PS Glock certified armorer doesnt make me an expert, just a beginning learner; wanted a better understanding of the inner workings of a glock

#11 ·
Any need for an aftermarket barrel in .357 if you are only shooting factory ammo?
No, no need; I just want a longer one.

Here...

...is my former 20SF,

and here...

...is my 32, both with longer LW barrels. I guess I just like that stainless-steel barrel sticking out there. :cool:

#13 ·
JB-Just curious why did you sell the 10m? I'm thinking of getting one, I also love the 357 SIG, thinking the 10mm is to the 40 what the 357SIG is to the 9mm. Appreciate any comments you may have re the 10
Lee, I believe your analogy is correct. The disadvantage for me was the size of the grip of the 20SF. I'm discovering that not only are the SF frames a little large, I actually prefer the feel of the Gen4-fullsize pistols--like my new 31G4 and with no additional backstrap added--even more. For me, it's much more the pistol than the caliber.

The 10mm Auto is a VERY powerful cartridge, and if that's what you want to shoot, Glock has pistols for you!

#14 · (Edited)
Received my (used) Glock GTL 21 tac-lite/laser-sight today. It works very well, and the laser is visible even on an almost-white target with Arizona-desert sun shining on it.

The laser-sight adjustments are very coarse-threaded--a quarter turn moved the dot more than a foot at 10 yards. (Fortunately, I was just smart enough to figure out how NOT to shoot my chrono-screen shades.) I learned quickly to make very small adjustments, and the laser and the 'iron' sights are now dead on...at least as closely as I can hold with a rest.

#15 · (Edited)
Lee, I believe your analogy is correct. The disadvantage for me was the size of the grip of the 20SF. I'm discovering that not only are the SF frames a little large, I actually prefer the feel of the Gen4-fullsize pistols--like my new 31G4 and with no additional backstrap added--even more. For me, it's much more the pistol than the caliber.

The 10mm Auto is a VERY powerful cartridge, and if that's what you want to shoot, Glock has pistols for you! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
I am interested in the 10mm for hunting, I may wait until the 10 mms come out in G4, in the interim I need to decide whether to get the 20 or 29, I could use the g29 with an extended barrel for hunting, standard barrel otherwise, or just go with the 20
Thank You for the info
Have fun with the 31!

#17 ·
I've discovered why I prefer the Gen4 grip to the Gen3 grip--the 4's is smaller, and now I know how much smaller.

I measured the depth--front to back--of my 31G4's grip compared with my 32G3's. I measured at right angle to the 'vertical' line of the front of the grip, in the bottoms of the finger grooves.

The G4's grip at the top groove is about 0.040" shorter, at the 2nd groove it's about 0.090" shorter, and at the 3rd (bottom) groove it's about 0.10" smaller. A tenth of an inch (and less) is not much difference, but it's enough for me to prefer the feel of the G4 grip.

I did not measure the add-on backstraps; I didn't even see if they're in the box.

#18 ·
G33, is your 'handle'--Debbil!--intended to combine Debbie and devil?

If that's you in your avatar-pic, my compliments, mademoiselle.

Fifty-five-THOUSAND posts?

#19 ·
Shot another hundred-or-so rounds today--TY God for airconditioned indoor shooting ranges!!!!!!!!!!!!--since it was 114dF today.

The more I shoot it, the more I love it. The grip is just smaller enough to feel quite better to me than the G3 fullsizers.

I'm amazed at the complaints the G4 is generating--mine is PERFECT.

#21 ·
First off...Congrats on your new purchase!

I was wondering since your following pics show a JPoint red dot on the slide have you considered buying an aftermarket slide from Caspian that has a place for the JPoint already milled in and lowered into the slide so you could use the rear sight notch on the JPoint with your existing front sight if your battery ever failed or something else went wrong with your mini red dot? I ask because I have a Nikko-Sterling on my G-35/357 Sig and that little sight has made that pistol amazingly accurate beyond any expectations I ever had before I mounted it on. It's mainly a range gun, but I would like to have back up iron sights if I ever had a failure of the primary sight. Unfourtunetly I'm broke right now or I would buy a milled slide and JPoint to replace my current setup.

#22 · (Edited)
Skip, TYVM.

No, I've never considered a milled-low slide for the J-Point, and, in fact, the JP was on the gun only a few days. After those pics, I bought a Glock GTL 21 tac-lite/laser sight, and my avatar-pic now shows the current version of my 31 (and 32).

#23 ·
I wish Glock would let me trade in a few gen3 31s for gen4 31s. I have 10 sitting in the safe unused, well soon to be 8 since we are hiring two officers. But I think the gen4 grip would solve some issues with our, ummm' smaller statured officers.

I am PATIENTLY waiting for the gen4 32 to be released so I can buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.