Glock Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the increased gun restriction talk spewing out of the whitehouse I figured now was the time to do it.Picked up a LMT mws 308 and a Trijicon ta11e 308 acog today.I kept going back and forth between the lmt and a kac sr25 ECC but ultimately the lmt won out.I would have loved to have the sr25 to go with my sr15 but I couldnt justify the extra cost right now

its a great shooting gun so far

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your MWS must be a newer version than mine, looks lighter.

Great platform either way, though!

yeah they offer 2 different receiver versions.They offer the slick rail version that I have which I believe is 9 ounces lighter and they offer the traditional quad rail version you have.They had both versions(16" cl) and I was originally going to go with the same as you but I got dealer cost and this was only 50$ more.Figured the few extra ounces saved would help with how much this thing weighs lol.

Went out and put 160 rounds through it today and couldnt be happier.My buddies with an sdn6 started ripping case heads after about 100 rounds.Any problems with yours and the can? Im gonna throw a saker on mine soon.

· Banned
42,095 Posts
yeah they offer 2 different receiver versions.They offer the slick rail version that I have which I believe is 9 ounces lighter and they offer the traditional quad rail version you have.They had both versions(16" cl) and I was originally going to go with the same as you but I got dealer cost and this was only 50$ more.Figured the few extra ounces saved would help with how much this thing weighs lol.

Went out and put 160 rounds through it today and couldnt be happier.My buddies with an sdn6 started ripping case heads after about 100 rounds.Any problems with yours and the can? Im gonna throw a saker on mine soon.
I had some initial feeding issues that have since been solved with an extra heavy buffer and spring from heavybuffers.com

· Registered
1,260 Posts
OP, glad you are happy with your new toy!

NeverMore, if I bought a $2500 rifle that I needed to modify to run right, I'd have driven to LMT and tossed it through their front window. You, sir, are a more patient man than I!

· Registered
1,272 Posts
I drooled all over an LMT 308 in a local gun shop a while back.

Everything about the gun felt rock solid.

I was there looking at other AR-10 type rifles in .308Win. The shop owner was helping me kick the tires on them all.

He told me to close my eyes and hold out my hands and he placed the LMT in it. He said to shake it....which I thought was strange.

It took all of two seconds to feel a difference......and hear a difference. Tight, solid and no rattles. I know this is a ridiculously simplistic evaluation of a battle rifle.....and my knowledge of such is very limited......but it was a stark difference in feel to the other guns I was looking at.

The controls felt better. The trigger was excellent. The stock and grip made me want to buy the exact same model for my future AR's.

I'd gone there with a little over a grand in pocket to buy a rifle. That LMT was two and a half times what I'd planned on spending.

I walked away not buying anything because I wanted to rethink it further. What I've found out since is that I should've figured out a way to get that LMT 308 as they aren't always easy to find and it would have been one super rifle.

Well done on yours. You'll be well served.

· Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys its been awesome so far.I have 180 rounds through it now(would be more but need to order bulk).100% happy with my decision

I drooled all over an LMT 308 in a local gun shop a while back.

Everything about the gun felt rock solid.

I was there looking at other AR-10 type rifles in .308Win. The shop owner was helping me kick the tires on them all.

He told me to close my eyes and hold out my hands and he placed the LMT in it. He said to shake it....which I thought was strange.

It took all of two seconds to feel a difference......and hear a difference. Tight, solid and no rattles. I know this is a ridiculously simplistic evaluation of a battle rifle.....and my knowledge of such is very limited......but it was a stark difference in feel to the other guns I was looking at.

The controls felt better. The trigger was excellent. The stock and grip made me want to buy the exact same model for my future AR's.

I'd gone there with a little over a grand in pocket to buy a rifle. That LMT was two and a half times what I'd planned on spending.

I walked away not buying anything because I wanted to rethink it further. What I've found out since is that I should've figured out a way to get that LMT 308 as they aren't always easy to find and it would have been one super rifle.

Well done on yours. You'll be well served.

thanks and you definitely made the right choice.Ive been looking to step up to the 308 style AR's for awhile now.After all the reading and shooting a few of the different options ive come to the conclusion that theres only a few companies that make a production 308 that are worth the price tag.

kac/lmt/larue/lwrc/jp/

There's quite a few cheaper models coming to market now ,but they just lack the quality and reliability of the more expensive options.Ultimately I was down to the sr25 and this lmt and after shooting and handling My buddies(hes got the same lmt and a sr25 ecc) for while I went with the cheaper option lol.Im a huge knights fanboy just diddnt have big enough balls to fork over 5k for a rifle I felt was pretty near equal as far as my use goes.

(cant believe im saying this) Id keep an eye on the new dpms g2 line of 308's.From a company who has a pretty poor reputation overall they sure are putting out some decent stuff these days.The g2 line made alot of improvements that the other rifles in its price range dont offer.Im not a fan of the rails they use but its a quick painless swap.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Thanks guys its been awesome so far.I have 180 rounds through it now(would be more but need to order bulk).100% happy with my decision

thanks and you definitely made the right choice.Ive been looking to step up to the 308 style AR's for awhile now.After all the reading and shooting a few of the different options ive come to the conclusion that theres only a few companies that make a production 308 that are worth the price tag.

kac/lmt/larue/lwrc/jp/

There's quite a few cheaper models coming to market now ,but they just lack the quality and reliability of the more expensive options.Ultimately I was down to the sr25 and this lmt and after shooting and handling My buddies(hes got the same lmt and a sr25 ecc) for while I went with the cheaper option lol.Im a huge knights fanboy just diddnt have big enough balls to fork over 5k for a rifle I felt was pretty near equal as far as my use goes.

(cant believe im saying this) Id keep an eye on the new dpms g2 line of 308's.From a company who has a pretty poor reputation overall they sure are putting out some decent stuff these days.The g2 line made alot of improvements that the other rifles in its price range dont offer.Im not a fan of the rails they use but its a quick painless swap.
I agree on the waiting. I was way too indecisive and uneducated to plunk down that much hard earned money on a gun. The one gun that almost got me......almost.....was a Springer M1 Socom16. Again, I'm glad I held off. Another buddy bought one and he loves it......but it's one of 3 big bore battle rifles he has. I pity him the first time he's in the deer stand with it and doesn't use hearing protection prior to shooting. That pepperbox brake is going to deafen him. It's a cool little gun that I like other than the integral brake.

Two guys on another hunting forum I post on recently bought those DPMS G2's with the intent for long range fun battle guns but will be deer hunting some with them, too.

I don't think either has outfitted theirs with glass yet.....one was saving up for a Nightforce...so it may be a while before I hear something from them.

Fortunately....unfortunately.....I have a number of other guns on my wishlist so it may be a while before I get back on the hunt for a .308 semi-auto. It's on my list, though.

Gonna enjoy reading your future posts 'n pics of the LMT beauty. You did really well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.