Banned
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a new 300 Win Mag, help me pick apart these three:
Browning A Bolt III
Weatherby Vanguard Select
Steyr ProHunter
Again, all three, new, in 300 Win Mag
Goal; looking for a hunting weight in that caliber, to go along with my old 300 WM 1000 yd target rifle.
Will look at optics after, but figure 3-12, 4-14, something like that, and of commensurate quality.
I have a bunch of Sierra 190 gr BTHPs that I will be plinking with, so I am thinking that if all 3 come with 1:10 twist barrels, that is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm not far from AK_stick. Tikka T3 or Sako would be my first choice. Vanguard is second. I prefer detachable magazines, lightweight, and stainless for hunting rifles. If the manufacturer can't guarantee 1MOA or less, I don't even consider it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'd also say Tikka T3. Three of my hunting buddies have them in .300 win mag and it is one sweet shooting rifle. If you can get your hands on last year's model (T3, not T3x) you can find them for a great blow out price, under $500'ish for black/black style. I'vt shot an a-bolt. It shot fine, but not as well made as the Tikka T3. I believe the Weatherby Vanguards are made in Japan by Howa. Looked at one at the lgs and wasn't impressed with the fit and finish. Steyr makes a great rifle. My buddy has the scout and it's very nice. I'd imagine the hunter models are nice too, but probably hard to get parts for if ever needed. You really can't beat the T3 these days.

Also, I wouldn't let barrel rifling twist determine your choice. I shoot 180 grain .308,. .30-06, and .300 win mag in 1:11", and 1:12" rifles, and they are all very accurate. I think barrel quality, length, bullet velocity, etc. play a significant role in accuracy than just rifling twist rate.

·
Registered
12,436 Posts
Mountain10mm used the term "lightweight" in describing his choice for a 300 Mag. I don't think I'm recoil sensitive, I shoot my .458 Win Mag decently and am relatively speaking, better with my .500 Mag revolvers. Having said that, I'd rather carry a couple pounds more than be pounded by a really lightweight 300 Mag. Don

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have you considered the Thompson Center Venture Weathershield? Might be worth a look.

Reactions: JoeOU1

·
Bird Catcher
2,762 Posts
I'm a fan of the Weatherby. I have a Vanguard S2 that is MOA right out of the box with factory ammo in 6.5CM. Good trigger and it handles well.

·
AAAMAD
31,575 Posts
Mountain10mm used the term "lightweight" in describing his choice for a 300 Mag. I don't think I'm recoil sensitive, I shoot my .458 Win Mag decently and am relatively speaking, better with my .500 Mag revolvers. Having said that, I'd rather carry a couple pounds more than be pounded by a really lightweight 300 Mag. Don
He said huntingweight. And the Prohunter weighs in at a fairly hefty 8.2 lbs empty.

Not exactly what I think of as lightweight. But I agree lightweight magnum calibers are not much fun to shoot.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
Reactions: SpamtownG19

·
Registered
12,436 Posts
He said huntingweight. And the Prohunter weighs in at a fairly hefty 8.2 lbs empty.

Not exactly what I think of as lightweight. But I agree lightweight magnum calibers are not much fun to shoot.
OMCHamlin said "huntingweight", Mountain10mm said "lightweight". You don't make mistakes very often AK. Don

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I like Tikka, Sako, Kimber, and CZ.
Kimber, Sako and CZ, sadly, are out of the price range that I am looking to spend on this project. If that were no object, the CZ would get bought, a very nice classy looking rifle.
Although I didn't stipulate, all three of the rifles I mentioned can be had in the mid $400s to 600 price range, so cost is a factor.
I think the Steyr is off the table though, 8.2 pounds and all reviews really complain about the flexy stock.
I looked at the Tikka, very nice, but it has a 1:11 twist rate, and I have a bunch of heavy 190gr ammo, that may not be a great twist rate, all I have experience with is 1:10 for the Win Mag 190 BTHP though.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think the Steyr is off the table though, 8.2 pounds and all reviews really complain about the flexy stock.
I looked at the Tikka, very nice, but it has a 1:11 twist rate, and I have a bunch of heavy 190gr ammo, that may not be a great twist rate, all I have experience with is 1:10 for the Win Mag 190 BTHP though.
The Thompson is 7lbs., has a 1:10 twist, adjustable trigger and in your price range. Also has a guaranteed 1 MOA with the weathershield finish. Might want to give it a serious look and try to get your hands on one at a local dealer or gunshow before your purchase.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
He actually had termed it huntingweight. When hunting with a .300 Mag you should be done after firing one shot, quite different from target shooting.

·
AAAMAD
31,575 Posts
He actually had termed it huntingweight. When hunting with a .300 Mag you should be done after firing one shot, quite different from target shooting.
No Don is correct. Mountain10mm did say lightweight.

I thought he was responding to the OP as well.

That said, getting a light gun that kicks you so hard you start to flinch isn't going to be beneficial to most shooters.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
IMG_2113.JPG

Ok, you guys decide if this is lightweight or hunter weight. Tikka T3 lightweight, magazine, optic, rings, and four rounds. The only thing it's missing is the sling.

I can say my last elk rifle was a Sako that weighed over 10lbs with the optic. Dropping two pounds made a HUGE difference at 10,000' elevation. If I shoot it in the summer with only a t-shirt on, I add a recoil pad. It's a hunting gun, not a 500 round/day bench-rest wanna-be sniper gun. I will trade lighter weight for a little more recoil at the range any day on this type of rifle. In the woods, the recoil is negligible.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 309953

Ok, you guys decide if this is lightweight or hunter weight. Tikka T3 lightweight, magazine, optic, rings, and four rounds. The only thing it's missing is the sling.
I'm inclined to agree, 8.3 or .4 is pretty good, neither too light, nor too heavy. Like I said, hunter weight.
My LR rifle, a Rem 700 with a bull barrel and McMillan stock, weighs much more then that. On the flip side, I would shoot as much as 28-30 rounds from it, prone in a sling and jacket. To tell you the truth, the thing made the web of my support hand hurt worse then my shooting shoulder, because of the tight sling and the hand stop (even with a glove). When guys started shooting the 6.5/284s, we promptly dubbed it the "Fagnum", but they were on to something, I'm sure...

·
AAAMAD
31,575 Posts
View attachment 309953

I can say my last elk rifle was a Sako that weighed over 10lbs with the optic. Dropping two pounds made a HUGE difference at 10,000' elevation. If I shoot it in the summer with only a t-shirt on, I add a recoil pad. It's a hunting gun, not a 500 round/day bench-rest wanna-be sniper gun. I will trade lighter weight for a little more recoil at the range any day on this type of rifle. In the woods, the recoil is negligible.

8 lbs empty is pretty good weight for a hunting gun, but I wouldn't call it lightweight.

You are correct though. Two lbs is a good savings. I think my light sheep rifle weighs something like 6.4 lbs, but I had to put a brake on it, because it was a hard kicking SOB at that weight.

Normal hunting rifle is a touch under 11 lbs loaded. She's heavy. But damn does she shoot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts