close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 2 Digi. World - Please Help / Canon Rebel XT/Nikon d70 or d50

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by GLOCKADOODADOO, Aug 20, 2006.

1. GLOCKADOODADOO

GLOCKADOODADOO

Man, I haven't asked for help in a long time but I need it now !!

I need some help as I'am new to the degi. camera realm & I figure I would buy me something decent right off the bat. Here is what I'am looking at. www.fotoconnection.com/vi-34797________.html

www.fotoconnection.com/vi-51140________.html

www.fotoconnection.com/vi-11457________Canon-EOS-Digital-.html

Any & all input would really be appreciated !!

I have read the reviews on these & I just can't decide !!

There is a dealer in town with the Nikon Refurb " kit " D 50 setup for $ 570

He says he may get the Canon Rebel XT Refurb " kit " later for about $ 600 later in the month.

Should I stay away for the " Refurb " models ???

2. Aaron S

Aaron S

I would find each one and play with it and see what they feel like. I would buy the D70, but of course it will be the most expensive. I wouldn't mind the refurb as long as it was a factory job and was a lot cheaper. Whatever you do, don't by from that link you provided. Here is their reseller ratings page.

FotoConnection

Aaron

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If the savings was more than a few bucks, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a FACTORY refurb. Look at it this way: something was wrong with it and a factory tech has been over it and fixed it, and retested it. It should have the full warranty so you will be getting a camera that has merely had more factory testing/attention than one straight off the line.

As far as Canon v. Nikon: do you own any glass now? If so, stay with your mount. Otherwise, you will *not* go wrong with either.

I went with the 350D because it is lighter and felt more comfy in my hands. To me, it was more intutive but it is also smaller and some people joke the "xt" stands for extra tiny. I have a bad shoulder so weight was a concern to me.

I didn't have any glass so I was starting fresh. If I had already had glass, I would have stuck to the mount I used.

Both Nikon and Canon have cult followings. Nephilim and Nipperwolf here use Nikons. I along with a few others use XTs. I haven't heard anybody say they wish they had went with the other.

One thing to consider: do you plan on spending much time post-processing? With a DSLR most people do a lot. Canon includes some software and I have heard that Nikon doesn't. Check to make sure because that extra cost might sway your decision!

4. LuckyGlock

LuckyGlock

I just purchased a Canon 350D about six weeks ago, and I could not be more impressed or happy. I also own a Kodak V603 and a Sony DSC-F717. Both have been great cameras, but do not come close to the Canon. The detail in the pictures that I've taken with the Canon are just amazing. I am nothing close to a professional, and this camera makes me look like I know what I'm doing, and I'm just using the standard settings. I just now am starting to learn how to use all of the custom settings.

Like you, I also looked at the Nikon's when I went to purchase a digital SLR. The price of the Nikon's were comparible, except for the fact that they are only a 6 megapixel camera compared to the Canon's 8 megapixels. I think the Nikon's are great camera also, I just couldn't get myself past the extra megapixels.

Miss Kitty was right on when she said you can't go wrong with either. She is also dead on about if you own glass, stick with that system. I've purchased three additonal lens for my system, and they have run me about 1.5 time the price of the original kit!

Good luck, and enjoy your choice!

5. GLOCKADOODADOO

GLOCKADOODADOO

Thanks for the replys !!
    As for owning any glass now,the answer is no.
    I hear ya on the xtra megs. on the canon but man I really am leaning toward a nikon D70 or the d70s model.

I really won't have the funds till the end of next month anyway as I JUST had to buy one of those darn Walther p5 pistols from SOG. Like I really need it!! :freak:

Just more time in front of the screen reading reviews on them. MAN I need some sleep !!! :supergrin:

6. fellow14

fellow14 The Member

I went through this a couple months ago. You wont go wrong with either. I chose the Canon for the extra MP but I really am not too sure it matters. My deciding factor was just looking at pictures taken by both cameras. The pictures people had taken with the XT just seemed more crisp, and the colors seemed more vivid. Perhaps they were better at post processing or just better photogs in general but I could see a difference. But on the other hand I have peen pretty impressed with the pics Nipperwolf has gotten out of his D50. I have also read that the Canons do better in low light conditions, which is where I have done a lot of my shooting. I'm happy with my choice and the camera out performs me and will probably continue to do so for quite some time.

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

GLOCKADOODADOO, do yourself a favor and wait a few days till August 24 announcements from Canon - just to see what's coming up. In the worst case you'll be able to purchase a current model for a little less.

8. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I have the D70s. It is outstanding and a 2mp difference is not going to make a difference for the casual photographer.

The Nikon D80 is coming out so you should be able to pick up some great bargains on the D70 in the near future.

9. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

thanks, the quality of the D50's pics is impressive. I spent a couple months searching info the D50 vs D70s. I kept reading that the D50 produces better pics 'out of the box'. as well as better pics at higher IS0s (lower noise).

ISO 1600
    1/200, f 1.8
    [​IMG]

I have been extremely happy with my D50. it gets my vote.

I say get the D50, but not in the package you have linked. the 18-50 lens is not nikon, its a sigma. not a big fan of those 'package' deals. their listed prices on the card and tripod are way out of line. you can buy brand name 1g cards for less than that. besides, a 256g card is worthless in a DSLR.

my .02, get the D50 kit with the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 from B&H
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...588&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

you won't get the card, tripod, bag, but you'll have a complete nikon outfit.

edited to add;

take a look at this outfit I found on your linked site;

http://www.fotoconnection.com/vi-51044________Nikon-D50-Commander-D50KIT7.html#spec_detail

10. Aaron S

Aaron S

If nothing else, click the link I provided in my first post before even visiting that site the OP linked from.

Aaron

11. General Sherman

General Sherman

Glockadoodadoo,

I see several possible problems in your selections for a camera.

1. I would advise never buying a refurbished camera. They are problem cameras returned to the maker for replacement. The problem may or may not have been fixed.

2. If I buy by mail I would only use the very top rated sellers of which I consider B&H photo and JandR electronics to be the only ones. Maybe one or two others.
    Read the sob stories on DPReview forums for bad luck in mail order.

3. I would get the kit lens with the camera, and not whatever lens the dealer decides to throw in. Some may not be appropriate for everyday use or lack features.

4. It does not matter between Nikon or Canon. They are both top notch choices in a DSLR. Even the bottom of the line are more than adequate for a beginner or advanced amateur.

5. Both Canon and Nikon are constantly adding new models so buy what you like now. It will be outdated when it arrives, but so what.