close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 1d Mark III announced

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Hokie, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8736-8850

Canon announces EOS-1D Mark III
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 | by Rob Galbraith
    Canon has taken the wraps off their next 1-series digital SLR. The EOS-1D Mark III is a 10.08 million image pixel, 10 fps digital SLR that offers so many improvements over the model it replaces that it's best to describe it as a new-from-the-ground-up camera.

Here's a quick glimpse at what's changed in the EOS-1D Mark III (as quoted from a Canon USA white paper on the camera):

• World's fastest AF DSLR with approximately 10 fps continuous shooting in One-Shot AF or AI Servo AF
    • Maximum burst (JPEG Large, compression level 8) approximately 110 shots; RAW, approximately 30 shots (based on Canon’s testing standards)
    • Dual DIGIC III Image Processors for fine detail, natural color reproduction and high-speed performance
    • ISO 100-3200 with ISO speed extension, L= 50, H = 6400
    • 14-bit A/D conversion for fine gradation
    • Live View in camera and remote, wired and wireless
    • New 45-point Area AF sensor with 19 high-precision, cross-type points (f/2.8 compatible), 26 standard-precision AssistAF points
    • New AF point selection methods
    • AF micro-adjustment (fine adjustment of AF point of focus)
    • Adjustable operation characteristics for AFpoint selection, shutter release priority and focus-tracking sensitivity with AI Servo AF
    • New methods of AF point expansion during manual AF point selection
    • New 10.1-megapixel CMOSsensor, APS-H size
    • Improved microlens array and pixel fill factor plus optimized photodiode structure to increase light-reception efficiency
    • Professional EOS Integrated Cleaning System with Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit, Dust Delete Data acquisition
    • RAW, sRAW (new SmallRAW), RAW+JPEG, sRAW+JPEG, JPEG+JPEG simultaneous recording
    • Increased shutter durability of approximately 300,000 cycles
    • Large and bright 3.0-inch LCD monitor with 230,000 pixels and wide viewing angle
    • Five custom WB settings
    • Selectable noise reduction for high ISO images, 50% less shadow noise for all images
    • Selectable Highlight Tone Priority
    • High-speed shutter with 1/8000 sec. maximum speed and high-speed X-sync at 1/300 sec. with EX Speedlites
    • Startup time approx. 0.2 sec.
    • Shutter release time lag approx. 55 ms. (approximately 40 ms. at maximum aperture with C. Fn IV-13-1) and viewfinder blackout time 80 ms. at 1/250 or higher
    • Compatible with SDHC (SD High-Capacity) memory cards as well as high capacity CF cards
    • Compatible with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed image transfer
    • Faster writing to memory card
    • High-magnification, wide-coverage viewfinder and improved focusing screen with 100% finder coverage
    • 63-zone metering sensor for more stable exposure control with ambient light and flash
    • High-capacity, lightweight and compact lithium-ion battery with estimated battery life display
    • Enhanced recording options include automatic switching ofrecording media, separate recordings to media and identical recordings to multiple media
    • Silent mode for single images
    • Image copying and backup to external media enabled
    • ISO speed safety shift
    • ISO speed and metering pattern always displayed in viewfinder and on top LCD data panel
    • New control layout with SET button, AF On button and Multi-Controller
    • Displayable camera settings and better image information during playback
    • Histogram display, jump display, error code display, and shooting settings display
    • Chassis, mirror box, and exterior covers made ofmagnesium alloy
    • Maintains water resistance with new 580EX II Speedlite
    • Personal Functions consolidated with Custom Functions, resulting in 57 Custom
    Functions in 4 groups
    • Custom Function settings can be registered and called up
    • Camera settings can be saved and read
    • Camera's basic settings can be registered and applied
    • New “MyMenu” function can be registered and displayed at startup
    • Camera direct printing (PictBridge) improved and DPOF print ordering provided
    • Direct printing of RAW and sRAW images
    • Direct image transfer
    • Wireless/wired LAN for image transfers via new WFT-E2A dedicated Wireless File Transmitter
    • External USB recording media and GPS unit usable via the WFT-E2A
    • Verification data can be generated, encrypted and appended to the image with new Original Data Security Kit OSK-E3
    • Compatible with original image verification system
    • Speedlite Custom Functions settable with the camera when the 580EXII Speedlite is attached
    • New software package includes Digital Photo Professional 3.0 and EOS Utility 2.0
    • New EF16–35mm f/2.8L II USM lensfeatures improved peripheral image quality

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You forgot to mention the price: $4000 expected street. Ouch. :sad:

That would be separate announcement.

3. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

That is the same price the 1d Mark II went for when it was first released.

4. hippy john

hippy john

Probably won't be getting it in the first week that it's released, but wow, talk about more bells and whistles than a box full of elves at Christmas. I just got a 30D and havnt begun to use everything that thing can do, but somehow, I think I need this one.....I think I need help.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I was hoping for 5DII to be announced at PMA, but I guess it won't be until fall. I don't do sports photography, so 1DIII is not essential to me. Still, the specs are pretty incredible.