Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm only 22 so as you can tell I'm still raw when it comes to guns. I got my G21 when I turned 21 and love it but today on a trip to Turner's with my dad, I saw they had the Citadel M1911 .45 Full Size on sale and I...pulled the trigger :supergrin: will pick it up in 10 days (California)

My Glock is really all I know and I have a few questions. The sights on the Citadel are all black but I couldn't find brand specific night sights like on my Glock...are 1911 sights universal? I believe the sights on this one are Novak style?

I also want to change the grips, are 1911 grips also universal?

Finally, I read somewhere that 1911s can have issues shooting JHP so throating the barrel, polishing the feed ramp, etc...are mods to get it to load JHP reliably..is that true?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
The grip panels are universal, but not the sights. Depends on who the manufacturers are, the sight dove tail sizes are different. Not to mention that the front sight is probably staked in, and they're different too.

The thing is that people don't want to "copy" Colt, so they'd go out of their way to change things around just a bit and end up giving the gun owners plenty of opportunities to pull out their hairs.

The Citadel is made by ARMSCOR of the Philippines, I believe. The sights that it has is "Novak like". That means the sights are knock-offs of Novak sights. Whether or not the dove tails are cut to Novak's Colt dimensions...I don't know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing all the research I can and I dug up that ARMSCOR uses .85 depth on their front sight and novak uses .75. What a PITA...luckily I found a place that sells RIA fiber optic front sights that fit, would prefer tritium but whatever, better than all black.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
352 Posts
Actually, the grips are almost universal; apart from different frame sizes, you'll need special screws and bushings if you choose a set of "thin" grips.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Set a baseline before you start making changes. Shoot it stock, no changes, with 230gr FMJ bullets (any mfg will do). The gun should shoot just fine.

Then when you start making changes you have a point of reference.

[you have a great dad, my parents got me a S&W K22 Combat Masterpiece for my 21st birthday, still have it. Both parents have moved on to heaven, but they have left a legacy]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Set a baseline before you start making changes. Shoot it stock, no changes, with 230gr FMJ bullets (any mfg will do). The gun should shoot just fine.

Then when you start making changes you have a point of reference.

[you have a great dad, my parents got me a S&W K22 Combat Masterpiece for my 21st birthday, still have it. Both parents have moved on to heaven, but they have left a legacy]
Yeah that's what I was planning. I just have a thing about researching everything I think I'll want beforehand and I just know that black front sight will bug me to hell. The old man said we'll probably give em a quick clean just to be safe and go to the range when we pick up my 1911 and his new HK45 so I'll put in as many rounds as I can and see how well I do.

Thanks my dad is pretty cool. :) I'm keeping that Glock forever.

·
JAFO
14,211 Posts
What's wrong with the black front sight? It's well defined.

I know a lot of hardcore target shooters prefer them but I have a couple pistols with them and I can't stand em.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't really say either way how I'll feel about them until I shoot the thing. I'm just so used to the white dots.

I'm getting too anxious...I hate having to wait 10 days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I'm really excited and can't wait to shoot my G21 and 1911 together.

I also think I'm getting a little ahead of myself haha I should probably get the gun and spend time with it before I do anything else.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Can't really say either way how I'll feel about them until I shoot the thing. I'm just so used to the white dots.

I'm getting too anxious...I hate having to wait 10 days.

I was like you once. Then I discovered why the old timers prefer black iron sights.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Banned
4,850 Posts
Actually, the grips are almost universal; apart from different frame sizes, you'll need special screws and bushings if you choose a set of "thin" grips.
Lemme expand on that. I've found that grips that fit perfectly on one gun with not fit perfectly on another. There bushing spacing may be off my a millimeter or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lemme expand on that. I've found that grips that fit perfectly on one gun with not fit perfectly on another. There bushing spacing may be off my a millimeter or two.
That would make sense. If it's hardly noticeable I won't really mind. If it is, I'll get creative

·
Registered
584 Posts
Congrats on the new 1911. The 1911 world is much different than the Glock world. It's kind of like comparing an Apple computer to a PC. Only Apple makes an Apple computer, so there is a level of consistency that's utterly lacking in the PC world. It can be great in some ways, but quite frustrating in others.

In all probability, you'll love the Citadel. The trigger of a 1911 is completely different than the one on a Glock. The best Glock trigger is still short of a mediocre 1911 trigger. I'm not knocking Glocks. I own and carry a G23 daily. I'm just saying that the 1911 trigger is really quite nice by comparison.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on the new 1911. The 1911 world is much different than the Glock world. It's kind of like comparing an Apple computer to a PC. Only Apple makes an Apple computer, so there is a level of consistency that's utterly lacking in the PC world. It can be great in some ways, but quite frustrating in others.

In all probability, you'll love the Citadel. The trigger of a 1911 is completely different than the one on a Glock. The best Glock trigger is still short of a mediocre 1911 trigger. I'm not knocking Glocks. I own and carry a G23 daily. I'm just saying that the 1911 trigger is really quite nice by comparison.
You know, I've heard that alot. I had 3 coworkers who owned 1911s and other guns. One owned a Beretta 96(now my dad's), and HK USP 40, and he somewhat recently bought a Kimber Raptor II. He said the Kimber shot like none of the other guns he's had.

Another one owned some pistol and bought a Springfield 1911 years ago....hasn't owned anything else since then because he says he liked the trigger pull too much and finally my other coworker owned a I believe he said Para Ordinance 1911 which he also loved.

Finally I'll get a turn at shooting one. Really looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts