close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 1911 owner prank

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Krimlin, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Krimlin

Krimlin

So a friend just bought a 1911, thinks he was high and mighty (his first pistol) so to teach him a lesson, his 1911 is field stripped and I'm outside listening to failed attempts to put it back together and laughing my rear off.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

2. Breadman03

Breadman03

I've only touched a 1911 once, so I don't know how hard it put back together.

If you have a click pen, you could take the spring out. Then when he is done, you can "find" the spring. Call it the grip safety return spring, or something else just believable enough.

3. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

Next to S&W DA revolvers and Colt SAA's the 1911 is one of the simplest guns in the World to pull totally apart and put back together. Although I did know a guy that could pull a Glock apart in record time and put it back together. I love the design of the 1911, so few parts make up a gun that can do so much.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

It may not be hard, but calling it one of the simplest guns in the world is just a blatant lie. Every single one of the modern combat guns(Glock, Sig, CZ, HK, M&P, Steyr, XD, etc) is easier to assemble/disassemble. As far as handguns go it has more part than most others. It usually has a tighter overall fit as well. Tighter pieces are generally harder to get back in place.

5. TN.Frank

Seems like it's pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble to me. Maybe you have trouble with it but it's a piece of cake IMHO. No lie to it, JMB knew what he was doing when he designed this gun.

6. MD357

MD357

Field stripping or detail stripping a number of polymer guns is a joke compared to the 1911. No, it's not hard to do either to a 1911 but it's common knowledge that it's a bit down the list compared to other modern platforms.

To the OP, sink or swim..... good way to learn. :supergrin:

7. TN.Frank

I know when my buddy did his Glock it was pretty simple. My Beretta 92F Compact was a nightmare to detail strip, especially if you want to replace the firing pin. I guess it boils down to what you're more familiar with and what you've owned the most of.
    I thought my '71 Harley Sportster was a real easy bike to take apart, I didn't hesitate to pull the motor apart. I'd not even try to pull the '87 Honda Magna that I had apart, way too complicated IMHO. I'm sure there are Motorcycle Mechanics out there that could pull a Honda apart in their sleep though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  8. Camu Mahubah

Camu Mahubah 9=Fine

I'd be in there making sure he don't get the "idiot scratch"...never know...he might get hard up and you might buy that gun!

9. SigFTW

SigFTW

I detailed my 1911 one night over a year ago. This was my fist attempt and went well on the take down. When I started reassemble, around 11pm, I was up till 2am when I finally properly seated the leaf spring and finished the assembly. It was a slow, tedious and frustrating process at times for my first attempt. Now I have no problem at all :supergrin:

I found my Beretta 92F to be easier than the 1911.:wow:

10. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

That's what I was thinking...

11. TN.Frank

Even with having to drift that little pin out of the right side safety lever in order to get to the firing pin and spring? I don't know, the 1911 is a piece of cake to get the firing pin and spring out, don't think I've ever seen a more simple, efficient design. The Extractor is also very simple to remove and replace, no pins or springs to worry about. I totally love the 1911 design.

12. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

should take 45 seconds for field stripped guns? Where's the issue?

13. TN.Frank

Yes, but we're talking Detail Strip. Takes just a few seconds longer I'd think.:supergrin:

14. Alizard

Alizard

Depends: a .40 1911 can be an absolute bear because of the heavy recoil spring if you have to fight it back in. I used a drilled full length guide rod so I can capture the spring on the rod, but without that, the gun is absolutely MISERABLE to reassemble..... and puts dents in the ceiling and walls when the cap goes flying.

15. MD357

MD357

A 1911 in .40 isn't significantly worse than a .45.... you are talking about a ~19-20lb spring so I'm a bit lost as to why you have so much trouble.

16. mikeg1005

mikeg1005

Damn, whats up with you guys and your heavy recoil springs for the 40sw 1911s?

Granted I run 172ish pf ammo in my 1911s... 14lb for the 45acp and 12.5lb for the 40sw(STI 2011 and SA Loaded) feels much better than factory springs.

Mike.

17. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

1. If you're a passenger, don't touch the radio.

2. If it ain't your car, don't lean on it.

3. If it ain't your gun, don't $%^& with it.

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

id rather have a gun that is tought to put back together if it doesnt have a design rep of being unreliable with h.p. ammo.

19. TN.Frank

Stock for a Full Size 45acp is 16lbs and Commander size is 18lbs. I'm running a 20lb without issue with full power ball ammo. I guess it all depends on what kind of ammo you shoot. I also got a 12lb with my WC spring kit, no idea what I'd use something that light for.LOL.

20. mikeg1005

mikeg1005

Why don't you stop being a jackass and help your friend out?