New 17 HMR

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SLing438, Jul 12, 2003.

1. SLing438

SLing438 Millennium Member

I currently zap groundhogs (among other pests) with a Savage 223 in varmint configuration & a Ruger bolt action in 22 Mag.

I'm hearing that the new 17 HMR will the same thing up to 200 yards without the weight of my Savage, but with the same accuracy. Anyone tried one yet?;b

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

I would have to say that you are hearing things. I will say this up front so it will save someone else from saying it. I am speaking from a prejudice frame of mind. I am a fan of the .17 Rem not the 17 HMR.

WOW! That's out of the way. From what I understand the 17 HMR is much closer to the 22 mag and quite aways from the 223. It is using basically the same case as a 22 mag necked to a 17 cal bullet. The bullet is much lighter than the 22 mag bullet so you will experince a lot more problems with wind drift. The 17 Rem is extremely fast and extremely accurate until it runs out of steam, about 400 yards. With a lighter bullet I could only imagine the bullet will run out of steam much sooner, more like a 22 mag.

In my own humble opinion if you want a 17 cal rifle go with the 17 Rem, you will be a lot happier. It is a .223 case necked to 17 cal and it uses a 25 gr. HP. You can get other bullets but that is the standard for that round. If you shoot that you can stay in the red vapor club that you are already in with the .223

IMHO:)

3. vafish

vafish

I'll disagree,

I haven't picked up my .17 HMR yet, but check out the guys at the Rimfire Central forums. They have a forum dedicated to the .17 HMR.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/

The .17 HMR is much closer to the .22 mag than the .223. But It should do fine on groundhogs out to 200 yards with a well placed shot.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The .17 HMR is no .223 at any range, but it is extremely effective on groundhogs and prairie dogs and can cleanly take them out to 200 yards. The problem is hitting them at that range. Most of the .17's that I have seen so far have been 100-150 yard prairie dog rifles. My Marlin 17VS is as accurate as any .17 I've ever seen before, and I would say that it has an honest limit of 150 yards on a target that small. I may be able to hit at 200 yards, but it would be a 50/50 shot at 200 yards. Add wind and the odds get even worse. The .17 HMR is a "chip-shot" varmint cartridge. Past 150 yards, you should really be using a centerfire.

I love my 17VS, but I'm okay with a 150 yard limit for most of my varmint shooting.

5. RH45

RH45

I agree with plastic guy

I went to the Dakotas last month for prarie dogs and took quite a few with my .17 HRM. It was no problem out to 160 yards, but was iffy at 200. Of course there is no such thing as a calm day on the prarie. It shoots the heck out of them, compared to a .22 mag, but, I think I still prefer to take them with a .223, or 22-250.

6. Dogbite

Dogbite

I think Ruger is making a revolver--single action in .17,i bet it would be a cool plinker..

7. tjpet

tjpet

I've owned one .17HMR and have shot another 6 or so. Not that impressed. Accurate and loaded with CF-type bullets (which will always keep ammo prices high) it's a 150 yard gun. Can't really plink with one (unless you've got deep pockets) or turn to a cheaper source of ammo as there is none.

The .22 mag is a more versatile, harder hitting caliber. Just want to bust a few jacks or chucks out to 125 or so yards? Buy any of the $4.99 per box stuff at the local Cal-Ranch. Want to shoot flatter and more accurately? Buy some Remington Premier rounds. It's a more versatile caliber that hits harder further out. Don't get wrapped up in just velocity/trajectory. Focus more on down range energy where the actual killing takes place.

8. Sgt

Sgt

I purchased one of these just to see what the new round was all about. The rifle has turned out to be amazingly accurate and the round does an excellent job on smaller varmits (Woodchucks and smaller). I can not attest to anything larger because I have yet to try a shot at anything bigger.

The ammo. sells for about $9.00 per 50 around these parts. My son has the same rifle and now carries the bullseye portion of a target in his wallet. The group was from 100 yrds. (laser range finder) and two of the bullets are touching and the third is spread out enough to make it a 1/2 inch group. He was making headshots on prairie dogs out to 200 yrds. earlier this year. A Bi-pod really comes in handy at longer ranges.

Body shots on prairie dogs and woodchucks at longer range (150+ yrds.) will kill the animal but they sometimes crawl down the hole before you can reach them. The head shot works better to make an instant stop.

Two woodchucks fell to my rifle in the last two days. The first was a body shot at 65 yrds., the animal didn't move. Just the sound of the bullet striking the animal and it just fell over. The second was 110 yrds. with a head shot from prone position. Again, just fell over and didn't move. These body weight of these animals is around 10 pounds.

It may not be the best varmit rifle in the world, but if you keep it within it's capabilities you should be well satisfied. The nicest thing is the sound signature isn't much louder than my Ruger 10/22 using CCI Stingers. Keeps the neighbors happy. Also to be noted, the pairie dog towns stayed active while shooting the .17 HMR. The animals all disappeared when the .223 was fired.

9. vafish

vafish

I finally got to shoot my .17 HMR Savage 93R on a 200 yard range last week.

Started out at 100 yards, got tired of puttting little holes close to each other so I grabbed some 16 oz water bottles out of the trash can and filled them up, screwed the tops down tight. At 100 yards the bottles blew apart, pretty impressive.

Next I carried some of the bottles out to the 200 yard berm. I was shooting about 7-8 inches low so I cranked up the scope to compensate. Hit the first bottle dead center, it barely fell over, had a little hole going in and another little hole going out. The red plastic tip was in the bottom of the bottle with some bits of jacket material. Second bottle pretty much the same thing.

I didn't have any other bottles to test at other ranges, but I'd say 100 yards on ground hogs is ok, 200 is too far.

10. skfullgun

skfullgun

I have a single shot NEF that is extremely accurate (.75 @ 100 yards). That said, even a 5 mph wind opends the group to 1-2 inches, and gusts of wind make it difficult to keep in the 3-4" range.

I bought mine to plink with for squirrels and such after deer season is over. I'll probably take a .223 and the .17 with me to the stand and alternate depending on wind and distance.

11. vafish

vafish

I'm thinking about brining my Savage 93R17 into the tree stand with me during Deer season to thin out the squirrels.

12. nanookalexkaye

nanookalexkaye Supports Troops

Steve, I gotta get there as soon as they open to shoot my 17s.
    Wind kicks up across the range as the days gets on. It was actually humorous trying to steady my 17 low wall on the last trip out. The big octagonal barrel caught the wind like a sail, the schnabel style forend wasn't exactly steady on the sandbag either. I gave up on even trying to finish sighting it in after 3 rounds.

13. Sharker

Sharker

I dont own a .17hmr, but have shot a couple. The bullets my buddy shoots (17 grain with red tip) did a number on a water filled bottle, but as VaFish said, that changed quickly once you got to 150+ yards.
    Personally, I have never shot prarie dogs, but I look forward to being able to some day (not many around these parts... praries or prarie dogs... but when I go, my .223 will be getting the bulk of the duty.

14. lomfs24

lomfs24

AND..... your .223 will probably be a helluva lot cheaper to shoot. I was shooting dogs (prarrie dogs) last fall with my AR-15 with FMJ's. It's kind of entertaining in it's own right. The dogs didn't explode because of the FMJ but they would be standing up and you could watch the bullet hit the ground behind the dog. Then you could slowly watch him topple over. I kinda got a chuckle.

15. nanookalexkaye

nanookalexkaye Supports Troops

yah, it sounds real funny to enjoy watching something die slowly...
    :upeyes:

16. lomfs24

lomfs24

You mean like when you wound a prarrie dog with a 17 HMR and it runs down it's hole. I personally don't think a 17 HMR is big enough to consistently get the job done.

And just for your info. The prarrie dogs I mentioned don't die slowly. Their insides are pretty much jelly, they just don't explode.