new 135 9mm gold dot

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by FYRELT, May 14, 2020.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Very good pics man...! Notice how 'long,' the skiving /serrations, are on the 'elastomer filled G2 bullets' and how much thinner the copper is at the nose, than the 'deeper cavity and thicker nose,' and almost NO skivings/serrations, on your other pics with 'NO elastomer.." (filler).

I'll take the deeper penetration from the 'non-plastic/filled rds.' That filler can 'only work' as the
    "hydraulic," with 'thinner pedals' and a longer 'skiving/serrations, in order to 'open up' that nose on 'impact,' therefore hindering deeper penetration as it meets with clothes, muscle, bone, , obstacles etc...

Great comparison pics!
    Good job, Thanks.
    Stay well and safe pard.

CanyonMan
    :horse:

2. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    If you can copy/paste, you're mostly there. With a pic, you just right click instead of highlighting it. I have no kids/grand kids. I am "self-taught." :)

CanyonMan likes this.

3. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

There seem to be changes to Gold Dots, in the last year, or so. I’ve though about starting a thread on it. You can see the different styles in this pic, posted earlier (I stole it).

[​IMG]

I’m talking same caliber, weight, and part number, but different bullets.

4. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

124 HST standard...a "proven" performer with documented "street creds"...the new GD may be a winner, but I carry what has a proven street record

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Very good. I'll work on it in a day or two.... "Thanks again my friend." I really appreciate it.
    I can doctor livestock, deliver calves that are breech, and horses as well, do vet work on most everything, and and took horse anatomy in school, and all ranch related things, I can handle. But man, sit me in front of a computer, and I am brainless...! HaHa. I'll figure it out! Can't be that hard. I used photo bucket waaaaaay back years ago, when I was active a good deal on GT, But when I had a long long, sabbatical from here, I lost all the PB account and had no clue how to post pics 'out of my picture folders on PC,' Still don't get it. BUT, I'll work on it this week as time allows, cause I do want to be able to post pics. "Your advice and instruction is very good, I really appreciate it amigo!" ;)

Thank you man!

CM
    :horse:

6. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I am unaware of that but it could be a good subject for a discussion. The gold dot 38/357 135g short barrel had seven petals. This new 9 mm is down to five. For what it’s worth.
    However that is my speed strip in that photo and those are from the same box as far as I know. I bought those over a year ago. They are 357. I’ll check and see if I have any 38 left to compare.

Edit to add I see the difference between the top and the bottom one if that is what you’re writing About. The other four in the strip look like the bottom one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/d...r-and-size-even-the-same-part-number.1829564/

8. 30roundmusket

30roundmusket US Army Vet.

There is a review on YT by tnoutdoors9 on the G2 gold dot in 9mm and it did not do well. That being said, I've had great testing results with the regular 124grain +p 9mm gold dot. The 124+p is also what the SC highway patrol and the NYPD carry to name a few.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  9. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

FBI says to weigh penetration > expansion. They chose critical duty 135 +p

I quit worrying about expansion and barrel length and velocities. I chose Black Hills Honeybadger 100gr +p.

It is mono copper, barrier blind, low recoil, and accurate as anything I’ve seen. It will print slightly lower than you’re used to. But your followups will be so much quicker versus the 124 and 135 +Ps.

10. mongo356

mongo356

I'm excited to try them.

I was a Winchester mostly person until recently. 9mm- I'm tired of out of stock anything from Winchester even before the ammo crunch BO was a common. With Winchester they send you to to a "dealer" which varies greatly on price and in stock.
    Hornady is ok, but the Critical Duty is for duty length barrels. I don't like light weight 115 in the Critical Defense line. Their XTP line is great but I don't think the XTP line utilizes sealant or nickel cases.
    Speer & Federal you can order right from the website as a regular joe, and get the same quality as LE, no steel case rusty second hand from a hurricane, or marketed to LE only ammo. BTW I am LE and can use LE credentials I just don't agree with it-marketing.

SlickCZ85 likes this.
  11. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

Good to know that you can order direct. You can get XTP loaded from many other reputable manufacturers. Fiocchi loads the XTPs in their higher end SD ammo and in nickel cases I believe. https://fiocchiusa.com/9mm-luger-124-wt-xtphp-1100fps-500-cs-25-bx-20bx-cs.html
    But this was a rare find before the pandemic.

mongo356 likes this.
  12. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I carry 124 grain Gold Dots and they work fine. 147 grain work fine too.

13. Tree Rat

Tree Rat CRB original

Is it me or does it seem we have come full circle in law enforcement trends the last 30 years or so?
    Back then it seemed that 9mm and particularly 147 jhp's for the time were very suspect, not the least of which 115 grain, which I never thought was a good choice in caliber.
    Fast forward to today, and after a 20 year run with 40, major agency's are back to 9mm and stuff like Critical Duty and G2 with filled cavities.
    To my way of thinking, and by the indications on performance, ballistically we are back closer to the same performance as we were with the old 147 jhp stuff.
    I've always been a 124 guy, HST and GD, with a nod to specifically 147 HST as a second preference in 9mm.....
    But then again, I'm still a staunch 40 advocate, so there's that.

TR

fastbolt and mongo356 like this.
  14. Tree Rat

Tree Rat CRB original

Make that.....nearly a 30 year run for 40.

TR

15. TNOUTDOORS9

TNOUTDOORS9

Agreed on these points. All this tweaking with bullet cavities, eslastomers, skives, etc. and LOWERING velocities. While companies are deploying these same manufacturing concepts to the primary service calibers, it seems that 9mm is being subjected to lower velocities to "achieve optimum performance" using said enhancements. And, to help confirm a high degree of reliability for the proliferation of lightweight short-barrel semiautos. Another example is the 135 gr Hydro-Shok Deep at advertised 1060 fps.

Optimum penetration is desired....with some expansion, but I've noticed a trend of dropping already low 9mm momentum to achieve the vaunted 12-18" standard. Part of me thinks we have reached 9mm peak performance with the now "legacy" crop of Gold Dot, HST, Critical Duty, etc. I'm concerned those standards will be compromised a bit in favor of selling technology that moves us past the plateau and into a downward curve regarding overall performance.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep, I tend to lean toward the 124gr (+P) & 127gr +P+ JHP's, although some of the better 147gr loads (think modern era, although I like the "legacy" term ;) ) seem to offer a decent balance of potential expansion while still catering to the "penetration" crowd.

Anything is arguably better than the old W-W OSM or Rem 147gr small nose cavity JHP loads they gave us in the 80's. :p (I don't mean to step on the toes of the 147gr "white box" enthusiasts.)

CanyonMan likes this.