new 135 9mm gold dot

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by FYRELT, May 14, 2020.

1. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Meh. Don’t see 135 grain doing anything for you that 124 grain won’t. It’s just product line diversification to try and entice more buyers to have the “latest and greatest.“

Bomber Nav and powernoodle like this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

But it would be slightly better if the bullet were designed properly. More mass pushng behind a 65cal + bullet means deeper penetration. Much better, no, but you are right, more a marketing decision. There was a time the only reliable expanding 9mm were 90-100gr. The 124gr bullets then were considered heavy for caliber & wouldnt expand. Kind of like the early 147gr.

Last edited: May 16, 2020

3. Teecher45

Teecher45

I’ll wait a bit.
    It’ll have to do a lot to get me away from the 124+P GD’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredj338, CanyonMan and nikerret like this.
  4. fastbolt

fastbolt

I thought the Federal LE9T5 135gr Tactical Bonded disappeared from the Vista Federal LE catalog some time ago. Wasn't the remaining stocks of it washed out through the wholesale vendor market?

Granted, it got some good press among the ammo aficionado testing crowd back about 10 years ago. I think it was Gary Roberts who said it would run 12"/.50 in his testing back about 2011, which is rather pedestrian for a good JHP.

It was said to be an accurate load, though.

Just not enough interest in the LE market, apparently.

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I believe it has been discontinued a couple of times. More accurately, I think they just don’t make it very often. I’ve found talk of it getting discontinued in 2010, and other places talking of it getting discontinued in 2018. It hasn’t been in the Federal LE catalog, for a while. A lot of places sell out of it and get more, so perhaps Federal still has some warehouses full or they are still making it, to some extent.

Lucky Gunner still has it and included it in their tests.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

I know the HST line has been a good seller because it's basically an attractively low-cost budget JHP for LE, and costs a lot less than some of the other "premium" duty lines. It's significantly less expensive than the other Vista product also on the current CA state ammunition contract, which is the Speer GDHP line.

7. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Hornady Critical Defense is the rapid expander. Critical Duty is designed for duty use, with more emphasis on penetration than expansion. Tests I've seen it regularly achieves 16"+.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey fellow "OKIE," I appreciate the word man...! Amigo, I am just not a fan of HP cavities with plastic or other 'fillers,'. I am a "Major, Minority.." HA. I am not even a HST fan ! :alex: I admit, I know nothing about the critical duty ammo. I have been so extremely set in my ways over WW PDX1, in ALL my handgun calibers, and along with Speer GD's, I just cannot warm up to rapid expanders....But, anything that will give me the deeper penetration, I'll gladly look at and test! ;)

Thanks again, hombre. I'll take a look at the Hornady Critical Duty..
    Appreciate it.

Stay well and safe amigo !

CanyonMan
    :horse:

newglocker10mm likes this.
  9. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

The Critical Defense is designed for shorter barrel pistols. Therefore, in a full size, it tends to open up more quickly. For full size pistols, the Critical Duty is designed fir that. Running Critical Duty in a shorter barrel usually shows less expansion. If I recall correctly, barrels under around 3.75” long are “short”, over that the Duty tends to do better.

Overall, the Critical Defense and Duty don’t expand very much, compared to the competition.

Dom Pastore likes this.
  10. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

I like and carry 135gr +p jhp in gold dot short barrel 38spl. Great carry ammo and test are very good.

11. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

My personal preferences for 9mm is currently Ranger T 147 +P, 147 +P HST, and then the 135 +P Critical Duty. All three shoot POA/POI out to 15 yards in my Beretta 92, Centurion, M17 and M18. Expansion, as related to ordnance gel tests that I have seen, Critical Duty on the low end to HST on the high end. To me recoil in 9mm is nonexistent in my pistols, being that I carry service sized handguns.

CanyonMan and Dom Pastore like this.
  12. Dom Pastore

Dom Pastore dpast32

As for myself, I usually run Federal 147 HST+P in most of my 9mm pistols, pretty much anything with a barrel of 4" or over. I do deviate with my KAHR PM9, due to its short
    3.1" barrel. With it, Speer's 124 GDHP+P is the norm,for in addition to exhibiting more velocity than the 147's, it also shoots closer to the PM9's sights. While I'm on the PM9, I should note that even though I've thought about retiring it for a Glock 43, I just can't justify such an action. In addition to being smaller than the G43, my PM9 performs just fine, in all areas ! OK, I guess I've 'talked' long enough off the original topic here, for which I apologize.

Best, dpast32

13. powernoodle

powernoodle

You clearly don't understand ballistics. Those 11 additional grains are 0.025 ounces; or about 2/3 the weight of a stamp. That's some serious knock down power.

TheDreadnought and pittpa like this.
  14. fredj338

fredj338

Its phyiscs. Greater mass = greater ability to penetrate. So better, a bit, but probably not enough to matter. Btw, postage stamps weighs about 1.5gr, just sayin.

15. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Here are some snips to go with your description, from Speer's video.
    @CanyonMan I am EDITING post to add pics below of my Speer 357 135g SB round (note the extra petal) and my Speer 124 GDHP 124g for comparison.

IMG_1730.jpg IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1728.jpg IMG_1727.jpg upload_2020-5-17_13-28-13.png upload_2020-5-17_13-29-7.png upload_2020-5-17_13-29-54.png

https://www.speer.com/ammunition/handgun/gold_dot_carry_gun/19-24260.html

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    CanyonMan likes this.
  16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey 'thanks man.' That's the "stuff," I was referring too...!
    Then Hornady has their 'red plug.'

Just not a fan of these things. As I described somewhere here, the nose of these bullets does not have as much "meat," if you will, as the regular GD's/XTP HP's, so that, these "fillers," can do their "hydraulic," work, and push back the pedals 'upon impact,' thus opening, (for my taste, to quick) to soon and not gaining good penetration. I understand that the "other purpose," is to keep the cavity from plugging up with whatever 'material it encounters,' BUT, the designers did put these materials (fillers) in the nose to 'help promote greater expansion,' and the problem there, again, is a thinner nose material/jacket/lead, and retards the penetration "I require," to call it a reliable carry load. (for me).

Amigo, I really appreciate ya posting the pics. I have NO clue how to post pics. I used to many years ago on here, but was gone for such I long time, GT changed on me! HA..

Stay safe!

CanyonMan

4949shooter likes this.
  17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yeah, hey amigo, that is great, and I am glad it is working for your needs and confidence, 'seriously'. As said, I am a real 'minority,' it seems, when it comes to bullets with fillers, or HST's. Just not a fan of either, in any caliber... Sayin this, is about as welcome as a rattler in your bed roll! HA! But I guess by now it ain't a secret. HA!

The Rangers
    PDX1's
    Gold Dot Bonded

That about does it for me, and all my 'in town' hand gun calibers. Dang, it took me until just a few years ago to get 'weaned off' FMJ for my EDC 1911 45acp carry! I got so "lovingly hammered on" here on GT by some buddies, (right) I 'finally' took the plunge, and went to these HP's I named here, for 'in town.' Far as I can move for in town SD. ;) :fred:

Thanks Pard.
    Stay safe man, and well!

CanyonMan

newglocker10mm likes this.
  18. pittpa

As often as not, I just right click on an image to copy it and then paste it into a thread, as I will do below with the snipping tool. You can type Control-v keys together and it will paste whatever you copied to the clipboard into the reply right where the cursor is.

You can also right click a picture and select "save as" then use the upload-a-file button on the page where you reply, as long as you saved it where you can find it. Download or photos folder work.

Windows has a snipping tool that allows you to capture any portion of your screen that you want to. That's how I was able to pause the video above and snip from what was on the page.
    Snipping tool looks like this. You hit "new" and use your left mouse key to outline the portion of the page you want to use. Once you snip something, you can use the file menu in the snip tool to copy or save-as, depending what you're doing. Or if you screwed up, just select new agaain and it goes away.
    My snipping tool keeps telling me it will be replaced by Snip & Sketch, but I'm still using it.
    OK, back to the thread. :)

[​IMG]

CanyonMan likes this.
  19. pittpa

I don't know what GD 124 or HST goes for nowadays, but Ammoseek has 3 vendors selling this new 135g for $1.05 to $1.20/round.

20. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey amigo, thank you man!
    I copied and pasted your instructions to look at later when a 10 year old grandkid is over here to tell me what all that means! HA. Seriously! I'll get it figured out! ;)

Thanks again for the time and info...!

CM