GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Rational
14,225 Posts
SWATing is a crime because it's making a false police report.
LMAO, you think it's about filing a false police report? Wrong. In many states, it's a felony offense because it's incredibly dangerous. You are crazy if you think someone who SWATs another person is just out for a fine and a slap on the wrist. Just in the past 5 years, there have been several high-profile cases of people getting seriously hurt or killed when a SWAT team kicks in their door because some idiot online doesn't like them.

So, how is Swatting any different than Doxing a person? It's not. Freedom of speech does not protect against the threat of violence, which is exactly what this clown was doing when he posted these women's personal information.

Doxxing doesn't involve threats
This is the statement of a fool. And I challenge you to take yourself to Portland and handout "Trump2020" cards with your address on it, and find out what happens. Then we'll see if you feel threatened or not when they show up to burn your house down at 2 AM.

How will it punish those who doxx the nuns and not those who doxx the plumber? For that matter, how would it not cover a whole host of legitimate news stories? Is a local HS Football Blog "Doxxing" when they post a pic and name of local star QB?
Firstly, I highly doubt that blog would post personal information about a high school QB. Secondly, you are going to compare a local football blog posting a story about a star QB to that of a CEO with a major social media following who deliberately posts personal information about people he doesn't like for the purposes of getting them doxxed?

And I'M the one that needs to keep thinking?

Wrong. It's you, Harl. You are either completely out of touch with reality, or purposely being disingenuous about just how dangerous this stuff really is. Which is it?

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
He needs doxxing if it is a he. Or she needs doxxing. I'm not judging, just playing PC coolness.
I would go a bit further and say a dirt nap but well I am just tired of all the whiners and complainers.

IF you are gonna hate on someone strictly because they want someone you disagree with for POTUS you probably shouldn't be breathing air and wasting it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've had at least one person try (and fail) to dox me here, so I'll pass. But I don't think it should be illegal.
My point, stated pretty plainly in my original post, was that the posts on Twitter and Facebook, with a reach of billions, would basically eliminate the garbage if all had to post under their real names.

Fake names on message boards are not a problem as far as I can tell. If GT reached millions, I would certainly reconsider the point.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
LMAO, you think it's about filing a false police report? Wrong. In many states, it's a felony offense because it's incredibly dangerous. You are crazy if you think someone who SWATs another person is just out for a fine and a slap on the wrist. Just in the past 5 years, there have been several high-profile cases of people getting seriously hurt or killed when a SWAT team kicks in their door because some idiot online doesn't like them.

So, how is Swatting any different than Doxing a person? It's not. Freedom of speech does not protect against the threat of violence, which is exactly what this clown was doing when he posted these women's personal information.
Have you even read what I have posted? You continue to conflate posting someone's identity with making threats. Those are two separate actions. One is legal, one is not.

This is the statement of a fool. And I challenge you to take yourself to Portland and handout "Trump2020" cards with your address on it, and find out what happens. Then we'll see if you feel threatened or not when they show up to burn your house down at 2 AM.
That someone could use legally posted personal information to help them commit a crime does not make the posting of that information illegal.

Firstly, I highly doubt that blog would post personal information about a high school QB.
Picture, name, school, town are all commonly reported. What else do you need to identify someone? I watch a number of HS recruiting websites for college football, there are complete bios on thousands of players.

Secondly, you are going to compare a local football blog posting a story about a star QB to that of a CEO with a major social media following who deliberately posts personal information about people he doesn't like for the purposes of getting them doxxed?
Yes, I compare them because it's the same damn thing. Posting "That's Sister Mary and Sister Louise from Sacred Heart" is no different than posting "That's Sam Smith from Union HS". It doesn't matter how many people saw the post, or who made the post. That you think being a "CEO with a major social media following" has anything to do with this legally shows how much you misunderstand the issue.

And I'M the one that needs to keep thinking?
On that, I was likely wrong. I don't think any continued thinking on your part will help.

All that said, please, give us a quick summary of your proposed law. What information should it be illegal to post on the internet?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
My point, stated pretty plainly in my original post, was that the posts on Twitter and Facebook, with a reach of billions, would basically eliminate the garbage if all had to post under their real names.

Fake names on message boards are not a problem as far as I can tell. If GT reached millions, I would certainly reconsider the point.
Facebook is a message board, the user interface is a little different, but there isn't much difference. legally speaking, between posting on GT and posting on FB and Twitter.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts