Never thought I would be a Glock fan...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by USP-45, Mar 30, 2010.

1. USP-45

USP-45

But I bought a G27 for a back-up weapon and it shoots surprisingly well!

I was hired by a police department that issues the G22 and am in an academy right now. We have not gotten to the range yet and as such have not been issued our duty weapons, but I have been shooting for about 25 years and reloading for about 14. As the G27 can use the G22 magazines it just made a lot sense to pick up the G27. Now for the fun part, I am a HK fan. Not to the point of drinking the HK Kool-aid, but I have had my USP45 for 15 years and have put 17,000-18,000 rounds through it having only replaced the recoil spring a few times. Simply put it has been unfailingly reliable (it has stove piped a few times when my wife limp-wristed it, but other then that is has never had an issue when I shot it, not even once) and it is super accurate to boot.

So, I had shot a Glock a few times and while it was OK, I was just really happy with my USP and other auto pistols that I own. But then I bought the G27 a few weeks ago and put 200 rounds through it last weekend. That little pistol actually shot some really nice tight groups. I do not claim to be Dave Sevigny or anywhere even remotely close, but I am not too bad. That G27 was grouping with my USP out to about 12-15 yards. Now past that the USP does pull away a bit as I can put 10 rounds in the 9 ring pretty consistently from 25 yards with the USP and could not keep it that tight with the G27, but for being a sub-compact pistol it did really well.

I will not drink the Glock Kool-aid, but I am impressed and my wife liked shooting it too. I look forward to getting my issue G22 to see how the larger pistol does in comparison to my USP45, XD45 Compact and Tactical, my other auto's, and the G27. I never though that I would think much of Glocks until my arm was somewhat twisted into giving them a try. When I was out shooting it at our farm last weekend my father saw me smiling as I shot the G27 and said "I thought you didn't like Glocks." I told him that I thought I didn't either, but that little G27 was doing a great job changing my mind. I am going to a local range tomorrow to rent a G22 and shoot it, might as well get a head start... :)

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Congrats and welcome! I just got my G27 earlier this month. It carries like a dream.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010

3. cmcinc

cmcinc

Congrats on your G27...it is my fav and very accurate.

4. Rayden

Rayden

Rentals might not be the best to try though as some of them are poorly maintained ... not that Glocks need much maintenance.

5. Ninja10

Ninja10

Same here. Never really wanted a glock until I shot one and just bought my first glock 23.

I rented a glock 19 one time at a ragged looking gun range and every time I pull the trigger it would fire and then the mag would pop out of the pistol. I only shot 3 round and it would do it every time so I got frustrated and returned it. That was the only glock they had and the guy was giving me a hard time when I asked for a refund on the rental fee.

6. mymini40

mymini40

Welcome.You just made a good choice for a back up to your G22. Plus you can always use the same mag for it.

7. vwjeff

vwjeff

I gotta say I never thought I would be a fan of Glock either. I bought a 29, freakin loved it! A few weeks later I bought a 31, loved it to!.

I liked the 2 Glocks so much I traded my USP 40 and got a 19.

8. USP-45

USP-45

Thanks. My local range has a pretty new G22 RTF2 and a very new Gen4 so I am fairly confident in the equipment. I really want to see how much of a difference the longer sight distance has on the shooting, they should also have a pretty nicely broken in trigger. Most of my other firearms (though not all) have smoothed out with time/rounds. I do not know if the Glock is the same or not, my G27 is pretty good right now having only 200 rounds through it. I picked up another 300 rounds of Federal 180gr FMJ today at Wal-Mart for $13.96 a box which I did not think was too bad. I reload a lot of 45acp so this was the first time that I have bought ammo in a while. I have a Beretta Vertec in 40s&w, but it is not a favorite (not very accurate truth be known, way behind the G27) so I have not started to load 40 yet. Actually with the prices for 40 ammo I do not know if I will start loading it for a while, finding primers right now can be a headache and fitting my Dillon 550rl will run $150-$200.

9. chemboy

chemboy

The Glock triggers do seem to get better with use, at least that has been my experience.
    My current G19 has 5-6000 rds and the trigger is pretty nice, for certain.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520

They do get better with use. I noticed this with my G23 and G27. My G23 was my first and has about 500 rds through it(I know, I need more practice). It has a nice smooth trigger pull. When I got my new G27 I noticed the trigger pull was somewhat rough and gritty, at least it seemed that way in comparison to my smooth G23 trigger. After having put 200 rds through my G27 it's much smoother, nearly as smooth as my G23.

It will get much smoother if you lurbicate the interface between the connector and trigger bar. That's the area in the frame where the Glock manual says to use a small drop of oil. Here's a video showing it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc
    This guy uses way too much lubrication in each area, but at 3:25 into the video he shows the interface between the connector and trigger bar.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  11. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Congrats on the G27.

12. chemboy

chemboy

Voyager,
    Thank you for that link, I will give that a try on my new G35!
    :wavey:

13. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

14. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G27. :)

15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats and welcome to GT:wavey:

16. ChrisTKHarris

ChrisTKHarris I like to shoot

I never thought I would be either. I'm more of an HK and Sig guy, but I just recently bought my first G19.