GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never shot a Glock but I we have a G41 on the way. I’ve shot a 1911 full size in 45 ACP exclusively my whole life. . I like the slender grip of a 1911 and the heft. , . I fell in love with 1911s as a kid, I had a Daisy bb guy that was a WW2 1911 I’ve always loved the lines and the feel it’s perfect. Except for the magazine capacity!! I live in the wilderness and open carry, I decided to really shake stuff up and get a Glock. I wanted the longest slide and I’ve heard the 41 is an accurate pistol, I carry to protect me the missis and the dogs from cougar, rattler and black bear. The lack of stopping power of a .45 acp to black bear is a myth. I open carry in the wilderness ( non griz country ) and we have monster cougar , rattler as well. That’s the extent of my carrying for defensive purpose. Other the. That I Love punching paper and heard the Glock was going to be a little more accurate then my 1912 s out of the box ?
So I have Glock 41 on the way with some upgrades and woukd like to understand more of what these upgrades will add to a pistol I have no idea about. I don’t know if flocks have a beaver tail type safety and the trigger looks odd, it’s double . I’m totally Glock ignorant please help me , I wanted a high capacity 45 acp that was durable, light, high capacity , accurate and NOT 3k. Here is the listing with the upgrades. I’d be appreciative if you all could give me any feedback on the upgrades pos or negative knowing I love the 1911 AND
What to expect out of the box as far as “ quirks “.

Comes with 4 mags (Vickers Base Plates),
NEW Ameriglo Night Sights,
Lone Wolf Stainless Steel recoil spring, extended mag release, Hogue palm-swelled rubber grip, and Orange County Custom Trigger.
I’m interested in knowing about the grips , the spring ( metal rod too?) and the trigger . Also I are these hogue grips for larger hands? Are the original grips closer to a 1911 ?

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’ve never shot a Glock but I we have a G41 on the way. I’ve shot a 1911 full size in 45 ACP exclusively my whole life. . I like the slender grip of a 1911 and the heft. , . I fell in love with 1911s as a kid, I had a Daisy bb guy that was a WW2 1911 I’ve always loved the lines and the feel it’s perfect. Except for the magazine capacity!! I live in the wilderness and open carry, I decided to really shake stuff up and get a Glock. I wanted the longest slide and I’ve heard the 41 is an accurate pistol, I carry to protect me the missis and the dogs from cougar, rattler and black bear. The lack of stopping power of a .45 acp to black bear is a myth. I open carry in the wilderness ( non griz country ) and we have monster cougar , rattler as well. That’s the extent of my carrying for defensive purpose. Other the. That I Love punching paper and heard the Glock was going to be a little more accurate then my 1912 s out of the box ?
So I have Glock 41 on the way with some upgrades and woukd like to understand more of what these upgrades will add to a pistol I have no idea about. I don’t know if flocks have a beaver tail type safety and the trigger looks odd, it’s double . I’m totally Glock ignorant please help me , I wanted a high capacity 45 acp that was durable, light, high capacity , accurate and NOT 3k. Here is the listing with the upgrades. I’d be appreciative if you all could give me any feedback on the upgrades pos or negative knowing I love the 1911 AND
What to expect out of the box as far as “ quirks “.

Comes with 4 mags (Vickers Base Plates),
NEW Ameriglo Night Sights,
Lone Wolf Stainless Steel recoil spring, extended mag release, Hogue palm-swelled rubber grip, and Orange County Custom Trigger.
I’m interested in knowing about the grips , the spring ( metal rod too?) and the trigger . Also I are these hogue grips for larger hands? Are the original grips closer to a 1911 ?
My advice is to get familiar with the different format.
There aren't any safeties, and a round chambered the gun is practically fully cocked.
Congrats,
Good luck with your new Glock,

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Its better in every way other than the trigger from carrying a 1911. For self defense purposes you have made the correct decision. Reliability and simplicity in manual of arms is the name of the game once fight or flight kicks in and glock is the ticket for that.

As for quirks compared to a 1911 the recoil impulse will be different but not worse. Also be ready to not like the trigger at first but you will grow into it.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
The grip will be much wider than a 1911, especially with the hogue thing on there. It’s a double stack .45

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is a popular video, I'm just letting you know it's a different animal then the 1911.
I love my Glocks, I want you to love them also.
Great reliability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its better in every way other than the trigger from carrying a 1911. For self defense purposes you have made the correct decision. Reliability and simplicity in manual of arms is the name of the game once fight or flight kicks in and glock is the ticket for that.

As for quirks compared to a 1911 the recoil impulse will be different but not worse. Also be ready to not like the trigger at first but you will grow into it.
I shoukd prob dry fire a bit. I have heard the trigger is different .

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I shoukd prob dry fire a bit. I have heard the trigger is different .
It is different however in my humble opinion when willing to put in the effort to learn anybody can be accurate with a glock. It sounds like you are willing to put in the effort to learn the differences so I believe you will be just fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a popular video, I'm just letting you know it's a different animal then the 1911.
I love my Glocks, I want you to love them also.
Great reliability.
Hey thanks . Wow , there is a learning curve I see. I may have made a wrong choice considering I carry in the woods , a lot of brush. A lot to think about.

·
17,587 Posts
My advice is to get rid of the custom trigger and put a stock factory trigger back into the gun.

You're never going to make a striker fird trigger feel like a Single action trigger. It's more like a double action trigger which has to bne learned befor you can shoot the gun well. When I gof my first double action revolver I cocked the hammer before every shot because the gun was more accurate that way. Then one day I saw a guy at the range shooting a revolver doublection an dgetting better groups that what I was able to do. I asked him how he did it and he said "Practice". And he added, "And just focus on hitting the target, and go slow at first and then from hthere you can build up speed."

And a Glock factory trigger can be learned just like a DA Revolver trigger can be learned. I shot and carried a 1911 for many years but was able to transition to a Glock

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Hey thanks . Wow , there is a learning curve I see. I may have made a wrong choice considering I carry in the woods , a lot of brush. A lot to think about.
the trigger is not light like a 1911, and the trigger has to be pressed in the correct manner to deactivate thetrigger safety to fire the gun. Things can get into the trigger to unintentionally fire. But it wouldn’t be something I would be concerned about, just aware of and educated on. Idoubt, even with a grip and thumb safety, you wouldn’t check to make sure the area was clear when holstering your 1911. It’s not different than the Glock.

I have carried and trained with a Glock on duty and off for many years and never had a problem. Just things to educate yourself on while you’re waiting for it.

And if there’s any concern, dry fire, clear it out, holster it around the house and do your day to day activity. You’ll be reassured the gun just doesn’t fire for no reason.

If you can get comfortable with the grip and the trigger, it will serve you just fine.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
And, forgot to mention. If you can maintain and work on a 1911, you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to detail strip, clean, maintain, and “fit” (I use that term loosely) parts to work in a Glock. Especially factory parts.

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
Same rule regardless of gun, keep finger off trigger and no rush to reholster. "Look" your gun into the holster. The 41 makes a good brush gun. I always wanted one but have never bought one.

Trigger pull is not a 1911 but I have always liked Glock triggers and can shoot them pretty accurately. Think you are overthinking it a bit.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
JAFO
4,405 Posts
Welcome to G.T. from southern Illinois. Enjoy your Glocking experience.

Reactions: Louie Rocco
1 - 20 of 70 Posts