close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Never owned a laptop, help me choose one

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sharpshooter, Oct 13, 2006.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I need a basic laptop for work, for typing up reports on the go. Battery life is not real important. I don't play video games. I do surf the net a little bit (wireless not important) and I do play around quite a bit with photoshop and lots of digital images on my down time. Needs to have a CD burner. I'll watch movies on it now and then.

What do I "need" without spending a million bucks? I'm looking at Dell but I'm open to other suggestions.

I don't really know much about the different processors etc. Should I consider upgrading the monitor since I do lots of photos? How about the HD or memory? Or will one of the basic models do? Thanks.

2. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

I love my Acer Core Duo laptop. Reasonably priced and haven't had any problems. I have the TravelMate 4200.

3. FDC

FDC

I've heard a bunch of stuff bashing Dell's laptops. I'm still happy with the one I bought 3 years ago. I'm not exactly gentle with it either. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Dell again, as long as it's not like the POSs they sell they government.

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

My dell was a piece of crap, so much so that we refuse to do business with the company anymore. We've bought 4 computers from them, no more.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If your'e gonna watch movies, you may want a DVD writer.

IGF

6. Bluzman

Bluzman

I've been looking for a new laptop too. To tell you the truth it sound's like they are all P'SOS to me. Go to newegg.com and read the buyer reviews. One guy has had one laptop replaced twice and it still shuts off because of overheating. I'd hate to be the one to drop a Grand on a laptop that is unusable, and forget about Tech Support from the MFG. Unless you speak Hindu and don't eat Cow's.
    I think there are some good reviews on the Avertech and Acers at Newegg.
    Good Luck and God Bless.:thumbsup:

7. lens

lens

Check the fliers in your local Sunday paper for sales at places like: Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.

Pick the best deal in the $1000 or less category after rebates! Brands that are typically good: Toshiba, HP, Compaq, Acer and Averatec come to mind but is NOT an all inclusive list.

8. wanna19

wanna19

OK, you'll want something with a decent HDD, a DVD burner, and anything with 1024x768 or higher. This found on NEWEGG's homepage.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115285
    buy now and get $10 instant savings... or something like that. Photoshop's a memory whore, so a gig or more of RAM is preferable
    Here's one with 2 gigs of RAM, 120gig HDD, and 1440x900 17in display.
    Weighs near 8lbs, which is oo heavy for me, buy yhen again, my computer weighs about 2.5lbs and cost 2.5x as much

9. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

Of all the laptops I have had for work, my IBM ThinkPad was my favorite. I also serviced many of them for co-workers (complete disassembly for component replacement, including motherboard, processor, etc), and the Thinkpad was build to last. It was solid, dependable, and from what I have heard they have gotten better over time.

They will NOT will any beauty pagents, they do not have "the best" in each category (best graphics, largest screen, etc), but they are solid and depentable. You can get DVD drives, CD RW drives in them, etc.

10. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

It's a toss up now in the latop market.

I would always recommend an IBM Thinkpad but I have not been privy to the new Lenovo line of Think Pads.

2 years and you pretty much throw them away now, kind of like cell phones.

11. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

12. coopal_131

coopal_131

13. lens

lens

Check out the BlackFriday specials. Some namebrand laptops for as low as $300!

http://www.bf-06.com/