Never found a comfortable way to carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Glock!9, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

Maybe I am doing it wrong :)
    I have tried the OTB, and its too hard for me to conceal. I have tried IWB at 6, 3, and 4 positions, but nothing is really comfortable.
    Anyone have any better suggestions? I have used pretty standard holsters nothing real pricey. I have a wide range of carry guns from a Keltec P3at, to a G19, G17, and M&P9 (full size).
    I am right handed if that helps.

2. badr1

badr1

spend some $$ on a holster. You get waht you pay for. Try a Crossbreed or similar, or a pocket holster for the P3AT.

3. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

It may help to tell us your height and weight. Some gun/holster combinations work better for people of different builds. When you try IWB, can you adjust the cant of the gun? I used to carry a Glock 19 in a Bladetech IWB, but could never get it to be comfortable. I switched to an MTAC and played around with the cant and now it's much more comfortable. Many will also suggest getting a gun belt to help distribute the weight.

4. jmb79

jmb79

In addition to a good holster, you need a good gunbelt. What belts and holsters have you been using? Also, in what way are the holsters you've tried uncomfortable to you?

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Get a better belt and a better holster. Then see if this thread still is relevant.

6. banger

banger

Pistols are supposed to be "comforting" not comfortable.

In the mean time, use the smaller weapon.

Have you tried an ankle holster?

7. hungryhippo45

hungryhippo45

alot of guys that work at the gunshop that i frequent carry a kel-tec in their back pocket like a second wallet. they make special holsters for this type of carry and it seems like it would be pretty comfortable standing but im not sure about sitting.

also, try possibly carrying at 12 o'clock. i can put my s&w j-frame there and forget that i even have it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  8. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

If you can't comfortably carry a P3AT you probably aren't cut out for concealed carry. :supergrin:

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:agree:

I think the belt is even more important than the holster. I've carried cheap holsters on nice belts, and it was doable. I've carried nice holsters on cheap belts, and it sucked. 90% of people should be able to conceal a 19 w/ little difficulty. Might require a wardrobe adjustment, etc.. but IWB or OWB, its pretty easy to conceal.

IGF

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

I have a wide range of sizes depending on the weather and my mode of dress. All the way from the G20 to a Keltec P3AT. Although I don't carry the G20 or the G37 much, I do rotate between the G19, G26, and PM 9 a lot. The P3AT is my last resort. I'm always armed. You can always make something work, hell A P3AT you can almost hide behind your ear. It doesn't get any more comfortable than pocket carrying a P3AT.

11. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

Doesn't a P-3at weigh like 11 oz. loaded? That's only a little heavier than a cell phone man. I have a feeling you may just one of those people that can't have any extra weight, bulges or objects on them in order to be comfortable. Nothing wrong with that, just means carrying a gun will never truly be comfortable for you, but like others have said, a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

12. 8905c

8905c

Glock!9 -
    Check out Stoner Holsters (www.stonerholsters.com). Click on shoulder holsters, then click on Stoner Concealed Carry Shoulder Holster. A friend of mine has one of these holsters and loves it. I have tried my friend's holster on and it is very comfortable. Conceals any size handgun very well.
    8905c

13. Ironbar

Ironbar

I carry with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster almost exclusively now. There are times when my gun literally disappears as far as comfort factor goes. The only time I really notice it's there is when I have to sit down in a hard backed chair.

Oh, and I'm a big guy too- 6' 5" and 290. Works great for me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  14. Glock!9

Glock!9

I can carry the Keltec without an issue. I should have been more clear. I was more concerned with something bigger for capacity. I have a standard (on the thick side) leather belt, it seems to work just fine.
    I will look into the suggestions.
    Thank you

15. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

I carry a clipdraw with my G19 at 6. It's very comfortable even driving. I've gained some weight in the last few months. When I was about 20lbs lighter I carried in a crossbreed supertuck at 4. You may want to buy some bigger pants.:whistling:

16. ranger1179

ranger1179

I have a pocket holster for my p3at. I carry in my back pocket 24/7 and standing or sitting you will never know it is there.

17. MattG23Seattle

MattG23Seattle

A better gun belt is not always the answer for some positions. I find that I can not use my Beltman gun belt with my minotaur holster at my normal 3 o'clock carry position as it does not allow the holster to conform to me narrow hip size - the rear J tab will not be in contact with the belt. I use a softer leather belt to keep everything close and secure.

But, yes your first remedy is to buy a quality holster. There are many listed here on the forums to choose from and some you do not have a 6 month wait time on. I would say $150 is necessary to spend but it does not guarantee comfort as everyones body is different.

18. dosei

dosei

...compared to....?

My suggestions for comfort...
    1-1/2" wide Gunbelt (an Aker B21 is an inexpensive starter belt)
    Pants 2" larger in the waist than your pre-carry size. (get 1 pair, see for yourself)
    Comp-Tac M-TAC holster or Tucker "The Answer" holster (very adjustable, very comfortable)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  19. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

I felt the same way until I tried a Crossbreed Super Tuck. It is by far the most comfortable holster I have ever used.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That just confirms your belt is the problem....

Aker B21 is a good, inexpensive recommendation.