Never Clean Your Glock ... I have a quesiton.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kda, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kda

kda NRA Life Member

To those who never clean (or rarely clean) their Glocks I have a question. Have you carefully inspected the bore for corrosion or pitting?

When I was a youngster (OK it's been a while now) I remember that we could look down the bore of a rifle or shotgun and see how well the owner cared for the weapon by observing pitting in the bore. So we learned to clean our weapons after each outing.

I imagine primers and powders are less corrosive now and materials use to manufacture weapons has advanced considerably, but is the possibility of bore damage completely gone now even if one doesn't keep their weapon clean?

And is the Glock a special case or could we expect all modern pistols, rifles and shotguns to be immune to bore damage?

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

No gun made is immune to damage from neglect or abuse. Properly cleaning and lubing guns is what I have always done. If others want to abuse or neglect their equipment I don't care but I have too much invested in my stuff to feel comfortable in not taking a little time for clean and lube.

3. AK74play

AK74play

What he said .....:supergrin:

4. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

With the advent of chrome lined barrels, corrosion & pitting isn't a major problem in most modern firearms.

5. ede

ede

advances in primer and powder has went a long way in eliminating bore pitting. i would not use lack of pitting as an indicator of care or lack of care given to a modern firearm.

6. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Most of us clean our weapons...at least occasionally, if not after every long range session. However, it must be said that even bores with rust and pits have been sometimes shown to be very accurate. Strange perhaps...but it happens.
    And rust and pitting is pretty darned rare with Glocks.
    sonnytoo

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Chuck Taylor used to claim that he only cleaned the test G17 every ten thousand rounds whether it needed it or not. How true this is I suppose is anyones guess. He also claimed to have shot 100,000 rounds the last time I checked. Only thing he reported changing as I remember was mag springs and a recoil spring.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  8. Apprentice

Apprentice

Yes pretty much a total non-issue anymore.

9. MTS532

MTS532

I don't get it. Why on Earth would anyone buy a gun and not clean it? If it's for CCW, it's a disaster waiting to happen, regardless of who claims otherwise.

If you shoot it, you clean it. Period.

10. 03knives

03knives

Take care of your weapon if you want it to take care of you.Glocks are so quick to take down and clean you can do it in minutes,itsnot like a revolver or 1911.

11. FobulousGlock

FobulousGlock

if it's just your range gun for shiets and giggles, I am fine with testing the limits of the gun by not cleaning it. If it's your carry/HD gun, you are an idiot for not cleaning your weapon. clean your guns people.

12. fixer

fixer

just throw it in the dishwasher every other month. :supergrin:

13. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I cleaned mine in the fall of 2007 at work and forgot to bring lube. I ended up using axle grease that we had on hand. It smelled but worked until I fired a few hundred rounds.

Due to the heavy mosquito population the last two years I did not shoot it much maybe 2k of Ranger ammo and some Winchester Super X. I really does not need a cleaning yet but I did have to run it under a garden hose to clean out some wet insulation and drywall that I picked up working a case.

I have a Glock because it does not need the constant maintenance that most other guns have to have. I prefer a 1911 but on a busy day I had to clean it several times to keep it from rusting.

14. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

One quick "spin cycle" in the toilet and it's good to go.:whistling:

15. AustinTx

AustinTx

The Glock is a very special case, when it comes to the care it requires. The entire barrel is Tenifer treated and I don't think it will rust, but maybe so. The Glock bore isn't like any other new gun I have ever owned. The bore is as slick and shiny as if it were chrome plated inside. I think the rifling is formed by hammer forging as it's too nice and smooth to have been cut. A brand new Glock looks like it has a barrel that's been polished by several thousands of rounds through it.

16. nick425

nick425

You talking about the polygonal rifling in Glocks? :dunno:

17. multo17

multo17

This one ^ :cool:

18. ElrodCod

ElrodCod

I've owned a lot of gun but to the best of my knowledge, the AR-15 is the only one that has a chrome lined barrel. It would be helpful if you posted a list of manufacturers whose guns have chrome lined barrels.

19. hk_shootr

hk_shootr NRA Life member

The AR15, AR10, LR308, and MOST SKS model are the ONLY firearms I know of that have chrome lined barrels.

Most barrels that are built for accuracy in mind are NOT chrome lined.

20. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

But that was not his carry gun, a fact that is lost on many here.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)