Nevada GTers- Please help me on this.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbhracing, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I have a female friend who lives in Las Vegas, Nevada. She likes to drive around with a loaded revolver under her seat in her vehicle. She has no CCW permit or any type of license.

Her justication- "I dated a Metro Cop and a 20 year US Marshal veteran. None of them cared how I handled my gun and its not a big deal to me. And I have friends in Metro Police, they will cover for me." (she told this to me twice)

So my question is- Is it legal to drive around Las Vegas, NV with a loaded firearm concealed and no CCW permit? Or is my concern too much?

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

3. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Assuming she can own a firearm, she's fine around these parts. Don't know about Vegas specifically though. Her attitude however leaves a little to be desired.

Boobs and name dropping can get you only so far with a cop who could care less

MF

4. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Thanks GR.

I found this-
    She is in Clark County doing a non-open/hidden carry with no permit. Is this a felony or misdemeanor?

She also told be I am a "worry wort" since this is still a "who you know town". I told her Clark County has over 400k residents and the local cops dont know every one.

Thanks.

5. Vegas Coug

Vegas Coug

Although I have never bothered to look it up for myself, my CCW instructor taught me that carrying without a permit used to be a misdemeanor but has been upgraded to a felony. I wouldn't risk it. I wouldn't consider knowing a few people that work for Metro as "knowing people", either, if the "knowing people" theory even has any validity.

6. SparrowBee

SparrowBee

I believe that having the firearm within your immediate reach counts as constructive posession and thus requires a CCW. Having it accessible yet outside of your immediate reach (eg. glove box) is completely legal without CCW.

7. gixxer603

gixxer603

Im not a lawyer but NV CCW only applies to being on your person, purse included. Being in the vehicle within reach or not, loaded or not is just like having it on your property of your home. There are no laws being violated by doing so.

8. sourdough44

sourdough44

Good looking ladies with a clean record & no ill intent may get a pass much of the time. If she were to run afoul of the wrong cop it could lead to problems though. I've known them to carry with no permit, part of that 'judged by 12 rather than carried by 6' mentality.

9. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Thanks for the answers so far. Bumping for the day crew.

10. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Can't say for sure on NV, but in MS, it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car even if you do not have a permit. MS considers your car an extension of your home.

11. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

In this case it's hidden if that makes a difference.

12. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

In MS, it makes no difference. Hidden or not, it's still legal here.

13. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

arizona it makes a differenece ..

although console in a holster is okay, under seat or in console by itself is not

14. jpa

jpa CLM

She has no problems provided a) it's registered and b) she's not a prohibited person. I would recommend a more secure method of storage when she's away from her car, but no ccw is required to keep a loaded gun in your car. She should avoid storing it in a briefcase or bag that she can carry on her person, but glove box, under seat, on seat, etc are all legal. This is Nevada specific, btw.

15. durf

durf

My CCW instructor (a metro officer) said that it's a no-no in North Las Vegas and in Boulder City.

16. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I dont know if its registered, but do know she doesnt have a permit. Is this a felony or misdemeanor?

17. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Not to be flippant, but does she say why she just doesn't get a permit?

Like you, I would think that would solve a lot of as of yet un-broached problems.

18. Gunny USMC

Gunny USMC #kingnothing

She is legal.

She does not need a CCW to keep a loaded weapon in her vehicle.
    North Las Vegas and Boulder City have a prohibition against it, but no where else.

She does not need a permit, but Clark County does require registration for handguns.

Failure to register is a misdemeanor.

19. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

A friend was stopped on the way to work south of Boulder City by the Nevada Highway Patrol. A search of his pickup turned up a loaded 9mm Luger from behind the seat. All the officer asked was did he want to sell it. They gave him a warning on the speeding and no more was said about the pistol.

20. jpa

jpa CLM

NRS 202.253 Definitions. As used in NRS 202.253 to 202.369, inclusive:
    2. “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
    3. “Firearm capable of being concealed upon the person” applies to and includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

NRS 202.350 Manufacture, importation, possession or use of dangerous weapon or silencer; carrying concealed weapon without permit; penalties; issuance of permit to carry concealed weapon; exceptions.

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 202.355 and 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, a person within this State shall not:

(a) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into the State, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give, lend or possess any knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a switchblade knife, blackjack, slungshot, billy, sand-club, sandbag or metal knuckles;
    (b) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into the State, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give, lend, possess or use a machine gun or a silencer, unless authorized by federal law;
    (c) With the intent to inflict harm upon the person of another, possess or use a nunchaku or trefoil; or
    (d) Carry concealed upon his person any:

(1) Explosive substance, other than ammunition or any components thereof;
    (2) Dirk, dagger or machete;
    (3) Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon; or
    (4) Knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle.

2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 202.275 and 212.185, a person who violates any of the provisions of:
    (a) Paragraph (a) or (c) or subparagraph (2) or (4) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 is guilty:
    (1) For the first offense, of a gross misdemeanor.
    (2) For any subsequent offense, of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
    (b) Paragraph (b) or subparagraph (1) or (3) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
    8. As used in this section:
    (a) “Concealed weapon” means a weapon described in this section that is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

Failing to register a firearm is a county ordinance violation. That's a misdemeanor and they do confiscate the firearm for that.