netzero experiences

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Timothy658, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

Today I made the decision to switch to a different internet provider. Right now I have wal mart connect, and after doing a speed test on it, I discovered that I have a 28K internet connection speed. I had always thought I had around a 56K speed, but I guess I am wrong. Any ideas on why so slow? I also get a lot of disconnects. Very annoying. I was thinking of switching to net zero in hopes that this would correct the problem. Does anybody have anything to say about their experiences with net zero?

2. prism

prism more ammo

you can get a free netzero account to test the speed. (10 hours a month free) I have a free account I use as a backup, and it connects at 40+ kbps. http://www.netzero.net/

look at earthlink, too. http://earthlink.net/

3. Timothy658

Timothy658

prism....your name sounds very familiar. Are you the one who ran the glock chat room for a while?

4. prism

prism more ammo

yup, I had a glock chat room. it was good for awhile, but traffic gradually tapered off to about zero.

5. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Timothy and prism -

I've had my wmconnect ISP account for about 2 years. I DO connect at 56K and extremely rarely get a disconnect (maybe once-a-month). I usually then bounce over to Mozilla Firefox and use that browser.

Like prism, I also have a free NetZero account "just in case". I don't really like it very much, therefore don't use it often because of ALL those darned pop-ups! I suppose that's why it's free.

After being on the internet for 5 years now, I'm going to look into getting Adelphia's cable connection for my computer. My son just got it at his house for his computer and pays only $20/mo. + $3/mo. for modem rental for a year. That sounds pretty good to me.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I've had free Netsero for about 5 years.It was unlimited at first.Then 40 hours a month.Now I guess it's 10 hours a month.The internet was using up my phone line too much so I considered getting a second phone line and pay for internet but at the cost of a second phone line I got DSL.I'm switching to fiber optic now for another $5 a month.

7. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

How much does that cost? (I don't mean to be nosey.)

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

DSL $29.95/month plus taxes.I hear someplaces it's $26.95

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The speed was recently increased from 750kbps to 1.5mbps.I had to call to get the extra speed although it's now at no extra cost.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I don't have cable TV so cable internet would cost me over $68 a month.

11. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

One thing about dial up and especially Netzero,is call the phone company and make sure those connection numbers are not "metered calls" from your number.That's sort of long distance even if you don't dial a "1" first.They can get very expensive.Some will even be listed in your town and still be toll calls.

12. lwt210

lwt210

Agreed. Make sure the numbers are local calls and you will be okay.

I have had NetZero high speed now for some years and we enjoy it. It is fifteen a month and farily quick for dial up. But that speed comes at a cost. If you want it fast, you have to adjust the settings to lower the resolution on pictures and whatnot.

It does have a feature where you can enhance certain pictures if you want a better view by just right clicking on them.

For occasional internet and e-mail, it is a good deal. I didn't like the free version much because of the banner ads. I don't have to suffer with those on the high speed version. And I rarely get disconnected but it may be due to the fact that I am in a farily large town with multiple local access numbers.

My father, who has DSL, commented that my dial up was faster than he thought it would be. I have never had anything but dial up and really can't justify the expense of better internet right now. Netzero works well for us.

13. Dandapani

Dandapani

We just got bumped by Brighthouse to 4-5Mbps FREE. Nice. Ya, we pay $40/month for cable internet... but speed, baby, speed!

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I never had the "high speed" dial up.I think it uses some memory/compression.I was happy with normal dial up speed at 44K-53K.Normally get 48K-50K.It was just that we were online so often the phone line was tied up and DSL seemed a better deal than a second phone line.Now we have more than enough speed and the phone is not in use.I do make use of the broadband for large file downloads but I wouldn't pay much more for it.

15. nickg

nickg

after using a 14.4K, then 33K and then "upgrading" to 56K dial up for about 10 years i was FINALLY able to get DSL where i live. i got Verizon DSL about 2 months ago.

$29.95 a month. consistent 1.5Mbps speed with no disconnects or waiting forever to log on.

i was paying $21.95 for dialup plus $5.95 for CallWave Internet Answer Machine so now i'm at about the same cost only with MUCH better service and not tying up the phone line.

16. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I send and receive faxes on my computer via my dialup phone line. Will I be able to send/receive faxes if I switch to cable for my computer?

17. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I think for faxes you need a phone line in your modem.I haven't tried it but I know people that have broadband do send and receive faxes.I use a seperate fax machine.