close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Network, workgroup, and 2 routers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Toyman

Toyman

Ok, so I've got my primary router 192.168.1.1 and most of my computers are connected to that.

Then I've also got a wireless router connected to the primary router and it is 192.168.0.1.

How do I enable my wireless computer to see the shares on computers on the primary router? Bridging or something like that? VPN?

2. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

well, if you are using a class C subnet mask (255.255.255.0) I don't think they're going to see each other (they're on different subnets). I think you will have to change to a B subnet mask (255.255.0.0) on your wireless stuff, or what I'd probably do, set the IP on the wireless router to 192.168.1.x and not mess whith the mask. Make sure if you are using DHCP that only one of the routers is handing out addresses.

3. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I'm not sure, but I think you probablt need to set a static route to the 192.168.1.1 router from the wireless router. (?)

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

So is this the idea?

-------------
    Your
    computer
    -------------
    |
    |
    ------
    switch
    net 192.168.1.0/24
    ------
    |
    |
    -------------
    Wireless
    router
    -------------
    |
    |
    net 192.168.0.0/24
    |
    |
    -------------
    server shares
    -------------
    |
    |
    --------------
    edge router
    --------------
    |
    |
    CLOUD

===
    Is that the picture? If so, I don't see why you should have any problems. I use a very similar layout with an additional firewall and a shaper on the inside of the edge router. Your edge router should advertise DNS and routing to the wireless router, which should then pass the info to your workstation.

Can you ping the server where the shares are located? You are not filtering any Windows advertising on the wireless router, are you?

5. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

This is kinda how I thought I might do it. Hwyhobo, lemme know if I goofed up somewhere.

[​IMG]

6. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I guess I might be making a wrong assumption that the wireless is just acting as a WAP and not actually routing. Is this correct?

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That's what I am thinking. If it's just an access point, that's a different story, but if it is really a router, then we should have different network IPs on both sides.

Also, the "DHCP scope of 192.168.2-.9" stands contrary to the assigned DHCP addresses below of 192.168.1.2-.3. The ones that were actually assigned are all on network 192.168.1.0/24 - which is correct - whereas the DHCP scope would seem to indicate assignments from a different network range, which would likely require a netmask of 16 bits, not 24.

Minor nitpick would be that most routers would reserve a range of low addresses for static assignments to servers and internetworking devices, so DHCP range on such networks would probably start around .100, but it is not technically wrong, just customary.

8. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

You are right in pointing out an error on the diagram. the DHCP scope on the router says "192.168.2-.9" it should say "192.168.1.2-.9". I dropped the 3rd octet. I put IPs on the wkstn's as examples of what DHCP might hand out, not static addresses for the workstns, just for clarification.

I take your point on the addressing scheme. Usually what I do is have servers, appliances, etc. at the low end (x.x.x.2-.x-number of servers) then other static devices (printers, etc), then based on subnet and number of hosts set DHCP scope to x.x.x.100-.whatever)

I was using the low numbers here just to keep things simple as I (may have wrongly) assumed it was a very simple SOHO setup; in which case i tend to lump stuff at the low end.

Thanks hwyhobo. I'm getting back into hands on stuff (been a mgr. for awhile) and need to get my technical chops back up to speed (all my certs are expired - dreading getting them current. MCSE first. ugh).
    :steamed: :alex: :)

9. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

PS- that was my first diagram using Visio 2007!

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Heh. I let all of mine (except for the most relevant couple that I need for my present work) expire as well, and I am not planning on recertifying unless I have absolutely no choice.

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

A work of beauty. :)

Have you ever tried Design Expert from NetFormx? It absolutely, totally blows Visio out of the water. Unfortunately, it is very rare to see it used anywhere. Cost could be an issue. I used it while consulting at Cisco some time ago.

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Thx for the tip on netformx. Never heard of it. i'll look.

Thx for the kind words on the visio.:thumbsup:

Hey, toyman. Sorry for the thread hijack!! did any of this help???