close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Network usage by process

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Toyman

Toyman

Ok network geeks, I need some recommendations on some software.

I need a program that will show me the network bandwith useage for the processes on my computer. (not worried about the rest of the network, that comes later)

Basically, I want to know which processes are hogging my bandwidth, and so I can see how changes in some settings affects the use.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Are you looking at the impact on your WAN? Are you looking for a serious, commercial-grade solution that has both monitoring and shaping? If so, you should examine Packeteer offerings, but they are not for casual use, unless you have a good chunk of change to throw around. For functionality and power you cannot beat them, though.

---
    Disclosure: I teach Packeteer QoS products and make a living at it.

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Toyman,

I can't find anything yet specifically for Windows. However, there's an open source project called Nethogs that might provide what you're looking for.

Disclaimer: I'm not a network guru and I've never used this software. Just the result of a Google search.:cool:

HTH,
    Joey

4. Nyper

Nyper

Not sure what you are looking for either.. but +1 on Packeteer. Great product & easy to use.

5. Toyman

Toyman

Some clarification on my "I want to know which processes are hogging my bandwidth, and so I can see how changes in some settings affects the use." statement.

I need to know which programs are using my network bandwidth, and how much. Basically just what NetHogs does, but for windows.

More info: Sometimes I'm browsing the web and it becomes slow, I see from ZoneAlarm or my router that something is sending and receiving data. Now I run a virtual video card (MaxiVista) and a couple of other things that use the network traffic, but sometimes it seems like my bandwidth is being eaten up by something else. I'm try to track down what that is. So I can determine if it's this computer slowing down things, or one of the other 5 computers in the house or the kids XBox Live.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.