close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nero 6- The OEM Suite

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gadgetman, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

I can get this for $5.00 Plus $3.00 shipping. You don't get the box and the only instructions are on the CD. Is it any good? It has to be better than the one that comes with XP Home Edition, I mean if I want to delete something on a CD I burned with the XP software I have to erase the entire CDRW you can't just erase one item, at least I can't.

Any thoughts?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Nero 6 needs an update to work properly with Windows XP SP2.Make sure it can be updated.

3. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

Thanks DC I'll check it out.

4. Zoolander

Zoolander Castrated

I want to buy the Nero 6 - The OEM Suite as well.

It's much cheaper.

5. Tuan

Tuan Millennium Member

It doesn't matter what software you use. CD's aren't magnetic disks that you can copy and delete whatever you want from. You can only write once to a CD or several times on open session, but once you finalize the CD then that's it. With a CD-RW you can write over it again, but the whole disc has to be erased.

6. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

I find this hard to believe. You are telling me that in the year 2005 that I cannot pick and choose what I want to delete on a CD-RW?

As you can tell from my questioning this I am a newbie with using CDRW's but that makes no sense to me.

7. Tuan

Tuan Millennium Member

Sorry, Freedom. But that's how it is. You can do that with a hard drive or other magnetic drive because it uses a magnet to change the data; with a CD or other optical drive, it uses a laser to "burn" the information onto a disc and that involves erasing the whole disc if you want to change it.

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Errrr...I am using a copy of Nero 6 OEM Suite I got with a Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM, and it'll remove single files on the rewritable disk, multiple files on a RW, or the whole thing at once.

I have never had a problem with this sort of thing when using any brand of CD-RW OR any brand of RW media...this has always just worked for me, ever since Nero 4.xx!!

Sorry if you have had problems with this function, but that isn't the normal order of business.

Even XP Pro will do this if I just R. Click an item on a RW CD and select Delete...poof--it's gone.

9. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

Tuan,

What say you?

10. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I believe the basic reason you can't pick & choose what gets erased is because a CD-RW cannot be defragged.

A CD-RW has a limited lifespan. You cannot re-write a disk an unlimited number of times, like a hard drive. The reason is that when someone says "burn" a disk, they mean it quite literally. There are dyes in the disk that change color when you burn them with the laser. Burn them at a different intensity, and they change to another color, the color that indicates no data. Burn it over and over, and the dye simply wears out.

Files are written from the center of the disk, to the outside.

If you continuously deleted files from the center of the disk, and rearranged all the other files to move inward, giving you free space on the outer edge, you would quickly wear out your CD-RW.

The way to get the most life out of them is to write to the disk once, then erase it once, etc. Not continuously be re-arranging things.

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

That could be so, JTemple.

Though that was more true in the beginning, most RW media now produced uses a two-layer system of heat-sensitive polymers.

When the CD-RW is made, there is a clear layer on the bottom, then a layer of polymer that becomes opaque at medium temps; that same layer also has a temp range for opacity that is quite a bit higher. This means that the plastic becomes clear once again when the 'erase' laser heats it over a given temperature.

Therefore, with the newer CD-RW media, it matters little if the disk is burned piecemeal, if 50MB bits of data are outright removed from it, or if the disk is overwritten all at once.

Since it is a fact that any RW media will eventually become unreliable due to the opacity not reaching the required percentage that the read laser requires, I choose to accept that the method I use will result in parts of the disk failing to retain data before other parts of the same disk do.

Because of those limitations, I use CD-R's when archiving large amounts of data and typically use CD-RW's for moving data such AV app .dat files or Stinger and other apps like CWShredder2 that are always changing.

Using the Verify Data feature in Nero6 will tell you when the disk is caput, too. Which is nice.

12. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

I cannot delete single items when using XP Home Edition. When I try to do this a window pops up that says "Cannot remove folder. Files on CD are read only". So I go to properties and click Attributes and deselected read only, then go back and try and delete a file and the same thing happens all over again.
    That is why I ordered Nero 6.

13. kevfan

kevfan

Freedom,

The difference is that Windows XP doesn't support UDF (packet writing) format. UDF is what allows you to treat a CD RW disk like a big floppy to add, rename, delete files like a floppy. XP Home by default just has burning capabilities to a CDR or CDRW, which means that the file gets burned and the only way to delete is to reformat the CDRW and reburn. That's why you are getting the message you are.

Nero comes with INCD, which is their UDF Packet writing software.

Just informational, the only difference between Nero OEM and Nero Ultra Edition is the key that you enter. Based on the key entered (serial number), it turns on the options accordingly.

14. Zoolander

Zoolander Castrated

Hmmm. Is the OEM version fully operational?

Freedom1955, when you get it, tell us if it came with a key to activate. You might have to use an illegal key generator.

Hehehe.

15. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

I'll let everybody know.
    I was told that I will get a serial number and that I'll need that to be able to get the update for Nero 6 so it will work with SP2.
    Thats all I know at the present time.