Home > Glock Talk > Glock Collector's Club > Neighbor's father left him a G17 Gen1 w/black internals (Pics)

Neighbor's father left him a G17 Gen1 w/black internals (Pics)

1. Others will be along shortly. I’d say $2000 easy.

2. Nice! Original parts, weekend sights, bullet box - if the manual happens to show up it would be complete. Still, that’s a great find!!!

CB154 recently auctioned for $700 with the box. I think we’d all agree this pistol with weekend sights and original parts is more desirable AND that auction (along with most of the December Gen1 auctions) ended light. Maybe $1,200 - $1,500 range might be more current but if things get hot like they did last spring/summer it could go for a lot more.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851414144

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Being all original, I’d start the bidding at 2G and see what happens.

4. If that 1st series box didn’t have the label you would think either a 3rd or 4th series for sure.
    Just another example of Glock using up whatever they had.

I absolutely agree with mt streams assessment. If this one hit $2000. i would think the box may have something to do with it. Maybe some would just assume older by that vs serial number.

5. Now that’s what I call pig nose.

6. What points would you emphasize in a gunbroker ad?

7. That the seller should keep the pistol as a family memento and not sell it.

8. Because it was such a trusty sidearm with tons of rounds through it? Because the pistol somehow retains the essence of the loved one?

Sometimes the best use for a gun is to sell it to someone who will fully appreciate it (ie a Glock collector who would love a NIB Gen 1). Far too many times families take guns to a gun show or worse yet gun store.. and they get taken to the bank.

If one isn’t avidly into an obscure inherited firearm, they ought to try to get the most money possible out of it by doing research. This honors the loved one, by at least not getting ripped off for the item that the former owner spent hard earned money on.

Now if you’re saying the seller should keep the pistol because it will continue to appreciate in value, that’s a reasonable argument.. assuming the seller has the financial luxury of sitting on such an investment.

9. Neither you nor I could answer your hypothetical questions above; only the seller could. Also, your idea of what "honors" a loved one may be completely opposite of someone elses. I've read countless times on just this website alone where many have shared how they deeply regretted foolishly selling or "getting rid of" a firearm that belonged to a family member or loved one.

And as far as value, this pistol is perceived to have value only to someone who finds value in it, proven by the fact that I couldn't care less about a NIB Gen1 Glock 17 nor what happens to this particular one; it could be traded even for a Hi-Point or Jimenez for all I care - and I wouldn't lose one nanosecond of sleep over it.

10. You seemed to care in the first post.

11. If it were mine I would keep it in my safe and pass it on when I die. However it is not mine and estates must be settled.

12. Monetary value is easily quantifiable with old Gunbroker auctions plus the collective body of knowledge on this site regarding what the market will bear. It’s a $2000+ Pistol.

13. Manual?

14. Thanks for all the help. My neighbor wanting to sell this pistol is doing so to settle his fathers estate. The neighbor is an old guy himself. A Vietnam Vet grunt who earned a Silver Star (no small task for an E-4) in the war. Trying to see that he gets the best possible price. For those who asked about the manual there is one (see below pictures). Looks like it has never even been opened. The old guy bought these things and they went from the dealer to the safe never to be opened again. Also, just noticed that the magazine baseplates have no hole in the bottom as do later magazines
    [ATTA.CH=full]686008[/ATTACH] G17 new 1.jpg

15. I think auctions held in December/January are never a good time to get maximum amounts. I think the bullet box itself has added value, even if "incorrect" for the time period of the gun and what looks to be essentially an unfired Gen1 gun as a complete package. For a collector to get weekend sights, uncaptured recoil spring, correct mags and loader you're looking at at least $500. Bullet boxes another $400?

16. Thanks much premiertactical. Very helpful indeed.

17. Wow, I think the manual could really change things. It’s now as complete and quality Gen1 example as someone could hope to own. It’s not a pencil barrel but as good as it gets outside of those.

Auctions are crap shoots, can’t get around that but that risk can turn into big rewards.

There are some threads on here about getting the most out of an auction. It’s unnerving but “No Reserve” and starting the bid at $1 tend to get the most action. According to eBay, ending on a Sunday night also tends to raise the final amount.

I’d try and get the words “bullet box” and “manual” in the title.

18. I would have said too high but then the Gen2 19 went for $1,200. This is about as good as a Gen1 non-PB can get.

19. It’s good for a C starting series letter as it relates to completeness and condition.
    But an A series less complete will ultimately be worth more.
    This handgun should be a no reserve starting one. It could get up into the $1700 but I’m not sure.
    Even when I was hard after any Gen 1 I would not get in on this one since the opening is so high. I would assume it’s over priced and such no real collector would be interested in it.

Better to go with a much lower starting bid. This handgun has been up on the forum and so members here know about it. That alone will drive action on it.

I suggest get images with a solid background. Not a light colored one either. Get a shot of all that comes with it and the proper cover of the manual being shown. Heck lay the handgun on the rug.
    Images such as what Verda LLC uses are excellent and leaves no questions.
    Start this at $300.00 and end it on a Sunday early eve.

good luck on this as it is....

20. What did a new gen 1 Glock cost in its release year (1982).

21. 1982 was the birth, late 1983 and 1984 first civilian “G17” production, first USA import 1986. In 1986 the suggested retail price was $443.65

22. Update - the auction ended without any bids.

I want to say, not surprising as the starting bid was so close to what might be the top of the market for the gun currently.

BUT, I recently saw “white gloves” get a buyer to pay $1,200 for a MPDC Gen1 FFxxx with holster wear, upgraded parts, post ban mag and a Gen2 box. So . . . If that was the standard, this gun should have done way better than failing to get a bid at $1,700!!!

23. I was watching this one closely. Thought about it for a second as I still haven’t landed the Gen1 missing from my safe. Timing just wasnt quite right.