Neighborhood excitement... crack house raid

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by thewitt, Oct 28, 2020.

1. thewitt

thewitt

There is a rental house on my street that was purchased by a rental company as a new home and has been rented for the last 17 years by a number of respectable middle-class families of all colors and races, typically for 2-3 years at a time as they make their arrangements to purchase a home or leave the area.

The owner has no desire to sell, though two of the past renters attempted to purchase. The market for middle-class homes as rentals in my area is very hot and these properties never stay empty for long. The rental is not cheap, however, so anyone paying these rental prices will be looking to purchase before too long.

Last year a "family" moved in and immediately there were problems. Lots of vehicle traffic at all hours, noise and "disturbances" and several visits by the police. Two adults males and one adult female seemed to be "parents" along with several children ages 12-17.

On July 4th, they had lots of illegal fireworks - though that was common throughout the state - and would have been fine with that except one of the adults decided to start shooting a large caliber handgun at something in the back yard and that got the attention of the police through calls by neighbors. One or two shots would likely have been ignored, but this guy was shooting excessively in a very dense suburban neighborhood. Not a great idea. He went to jail that night...

About a month ago, one of the "dads" was removed by the police, who also took away several duffle bags and briefcases in the middle of the night. The word in the neighborhood was that this man didn't actually live there, but he was out of jail from another state and tracked down his "family" - and they called the police. The duffels were apparently drugs and cash...

This morning, their world came crashing down on them...

A dozen police vehicles showed up at 0400, including SWAT. They were in the house in minutes, and appeared to have cuffed and hauled off everyone... Several high priced cars parked in the driveway and street - much more expensive than you might imagine belong to a middle-class working family with three kids - were hauled away on tow trucks.

That part of the street is still blocked off and there is a forensic unit and several squad cars there. It doesn't look like whatever is happening there will be ending any time soon.

One of the officers - whose car was parked in front of my house - was nice enough to tell me that "Mr Smith" will not be returning to the home, and asked if I knew the contact information for the owner. I did and shared that with him. I did not ask any other questions, but the officer volunteered that there would be city employees coming by with a large van and they will be emptying out the house this afternoon and tomorrow.

I can only imagine what could have caused this action...

This is a quiet, established, middle-class neighborhood about 15 miles from the city center, in a gated community where most neighbors wave and smile and talk to one another when they meet. There is a large racial mix here, and people get along well - with the exception of a couple of looney leftists who stir up trouble that would only happen in a first-world country...

Just makes me realize, again, why I always carry, why I lock my cars and my home, why I have a monitored alarm system and I always keep my situational awareness level on high - even in my own back yard...

Stay safe out there. The bad guys can be anywhere.

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Good news story of the day

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

maybe it's time to consider a better location?

Westexas, pittpa and Jonesee like this.
  4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

We have never lived in safer times so rest easy knowing that.

treg likes this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Years ago, living in Detroit, a crack-house clearly started up business at the end of our block.

Within a month someone had burned it out, and it was out of business.

Dynactus, Doc Holliday and ScarFace88 like this.
  7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Sounds like your neighborhood needs more Section 8 housing and environmental justice.

8. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Great Heads up. This sort of crap happens even in the "best neighborhoods". All they need do is pay the prices of admission (rent or buy) . Never assume you are safe because of your good income or great location.

doktor doom, Rotn1, pgg00 and 2 others like this.
  9. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Kwack is wack! ;)
    Btw, most of you would be surprised to know how many seemingly successful upper middle class people smoke crack.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  10. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

You do have to marvel at the stupidity of drug dealers. To rent a home as theirs, then deal drugs out of it, as well as probably manufacturing the product there, it's just stupendously stupid.

Like neighbors aren't going to notice a sudden increase in rowdy traffic at all times of the day and night, and report it to the local constabulary.

In Tom Clancy's novel Without Remorse, the fictitious drug dealers were smart enough to deal out of abandoned buildings in the city. Looks like real drug dealers are nowhere near as intelligent.

pgg00 likes this.
  11. Detectorist

Detectorist

12. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

A neighbor catty-corner to me was selling drugs when I first moved into my house 15 years ago (yes, I reported it). He disappeared for about 3 years (I think he had to take a mandatory vacation to a secure facility) and when he came back he seemed to be living a pretty clean life. While working from home during the earlier covid days, I quickly noticed a pattern of lots of short term visitors at his place again. I was just about ready to contact the local drug enforcer officer when I noticed his vehicle is gone and all traffic has stopped at his house. I'm hoping he is being forced to take another vacation. I do not live in a bad neighborhood. This is taking place in all areas of cities and towns and it is no longer a matter of living in the bad parts. Illegal drugs are a scourge on this nation.

Combatcomm, TGT, ZekerMan and 7 others like this.
  13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I live in a very upscale neighborhood in a suburb of Salt Lake City. We had it happen here. Same sort of rental situation.

Started with lots of late night traffic. The neighborhood got involved immediately. Taking photos. Calling cops. Reporting plate numbers. I personally raised hell harassing the late night visitors.

One morning cops from multiple local and federal agencies including a WELL ARMED contingent from Homeland Security, blew out the windows with a flash bang and hauled a dozen or so people out.

Turned out that the renters were politically connected to Iran. And criminally connected to organize crime throughout the Middle East.

They were running drugs, weapons and human trafficking. Basically house and sex slaves.

When it comes to the narcotics trade there are no “Good Neighborhoods”.

Flags and flyover like this.
  14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Libertarians want you to believe that drug abusers are fine neighbors but the police are goose-steppers.

15. John Watson

John Watson

Same thing happened to my daughter and SIL a few years ago. Nice enough couple in the rental home next door to their home resided at zero dark thirty , loud speakers, flash bangs, rocked then out of bed. They grabbed the two boys and his in the furtherest bathroom tub till all was quie . No indication that the couple next door were dealers . None of the usual odd comings and goings at all hours that would tip you of .

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

They should know that all drug users are bad.

Unless it's Rush Limbaugh then they need to mind their own damn business.

17. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Sounds far from a “crack house”.

pgg00, jimcorbin, treg and 1 other person like this.
  18. thewitt

thewitt

One large van just showed up and the "movers" are wearing white jumpsuits, rubber boots and heavy gloves, as well as respirators...

I'm guessing now meth lab... This house is 8 houses away from me and they are accessing it from the other end of the block. This end is blocked off by two police cars.

NJ1911 and Fatboy2001 like this.
  19. Caver 60

Caver 60

One morning I got to my rural Church early.

There were about a half dozen LEO vehicles in the parking lot. Then another one drove up and they all fell in line, and drove out of the parking lot going in the same direction.

You guessed it, news reported a hit on a big drug operation a few miles down the road.

20. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

That's usually what ends up in the suburbs around here.