Neighbor/Zoning

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by dbow, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dbow

dbow

Got a letter in the mail today from our zoning administrator saying that there will be a public hearing regarding the fact that my new neighbor wants to build a private kennel to house her 8 dogs.

Tell me if you think i'm crazy but what the **** do you need 8 dogs for? I don't like the idea of 8 dogs barking all ****ing day. I purchased my little 4 archers of heaven to have peace in quiet, not noisy dogs. plus i have two kids under the age of 5, what happens if one attacks my kids. I've also harvested deer on my land, dogs would totally mess that up.

Now that you know how i feel:

Do you think i'm being irrational, what would you do?

If i go to this hearing and raise holy hell is it really going to make a difference?

2. JBnTX

JBnTX

Go to the meeting and make your concerns heard.
    I'd be very upset if I were in your place.

I'd raise holy hell about it and not back down.
    I wouldn't put up with that incessant all night barking.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

3. railfancwb

railfancwb

4. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

I wouldn't stand for that.

Attend that meeting, and every meeting they hold afterwards (if they are serious, they won't stop at just one if it gets denied)

Make sure you voice your concerns over your children's safety, your own safety, how it would affect the deer, etc.

You've got the right idea (and the right) to object.

5. dbow

dbow

What is the process, am i going to be talking to a judge, or county commissioners? Is this something that i should hire a lawyer over?

6. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

lol no man, it's most likely going to be a city council/town hall meeting.

You don't (or at least I don't think you would) need a lawyer.

7. GAFinch

GAFinch

8 dogs by themselves will make a lot of noise. Make sure you find out if they're at least neutered/spayed.

8. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Dont know about there, but here, you have a Planning Commission meeting first. Planning/Zoning Staff will review application, note pros and cons according to their Zoning Code and recommend either approval or denial or some variation (maybe approval with a 12 month review and re-hearing... etc)

Staff should also note number of neighbors in favor or against applicant. So, write, call and attend.

Once Planning Commission decides, after the public hearing, it may or may not move on to County or City Council. If Planning Commssion is last word, APPEAL the decision within 5 days, written. That should then kick it up to City/County Commissionors hearing the case.

If it is to be heard at higher council write, call and attend voicing your concern.

Questions I would raise:

What type of dogs?
    Puppy mill?
    Ages?
    Location of kennel relative to your land?
    Design of Kennel?
    Noise abatement issues?
    Odor control?
    Fencing?
    Insurance?
    Veterinary care?
    What size acerage does neighbor have? Does Zoning Code have a limited number of dogs allowed (probably, hence the hearing) and if so what was their basis for whatever number they have written in their Code?

Now, if neighbor is doing, say a Collie Rescue operation... or somesuch, or if they work Service Dogs, well, that's one thing compared to a Michael Vick's sorta dog kennel/club.

If they raise hunting dogs... well, thats another.

Go talk to your neighbor first. Seriously.

9. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

If she needs a hearing, I assume she needs a variance and approval of her neighbors within a certain radius.

No need to raise hell, just state she needs to build her kennel in the proper location as it would be a non-conforming use. I doubt they will let her unless she has some special pull.

Now if you ever need to apply for a variance, you may want to stay on the good side of her as she may attend your hearing.

10. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

I feel for you, but as long as its legal, its their land. They should be able to do what they want with it the same way you get to do what you want with yours.

It really depends on the owner, not all dogs are loud. If they were, depending on where you are (assuming rural) you may be able to do something about that.

Bark collars work, there are options. I hope you don't have any problems.

11. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Your neighbor should have asked you first about building a kennel before wasting money on an application fee.

She needs your approval for the variance. At least that is the way it works around here.

12. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Yep she should have talk to you first! My neigbor did when they wanted to run a daycare out of there house! I'd be concern about the puppy mill thing! Make sure the city does inspections and let her know you'll be the first to report any infractions to the authorities when they occur!:whistling:

13. Syclone538

Syclone538

I do feel for you, but...

Being libertarian, I don't believe that you have the right to prevent your neighbor from owning 8 dogs.

I don't think making an enemy out of a new neighbor is a good idea, but you could explain your concern for your children's safety, and don't want to be kept up all night.
    quan ao shop do lot do so sinh cho be thoi trang cong so thoi trang cong so chup anh san pham tai ha noi
    If you feel it necessary you could explain what will happen to any dog that comes onto your property.

edit

4 acres is enough to safely shoot on as long as you know where the bullets are going. Would you want anyone that lives close enough hear a gunshot, or to actually get shot if you were to somehow shoot at a 45* angle, be able to tell you that you can't shoot on your property?

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  14. akroguy

akroguy

.22lr and a suppressor.

15. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Sounds like a moderate-minor inconvenience for you at most. Where I have trouble is when you assume you have a say in what your neighbor builds in his yard. Are all the lots 4 acres or bigger? 4 acres sounds like a great place to run 8 dogs to a person who likes dogs.

Is the area zoned for dogs or for peace and quiet?

16. yamen1999

yamen1999

Tell me if you think i'm crazy but what the **** do you need 8 dogs for?

Why do you need an AR with a 30 round magazine?

don't like the idea of 8 dogs barking all ****ing day.

I have 4 large dogs and they don't bark all day.

I purchased my little 4 archers of heaven to have peace in quiet, not noisy dogs.
    plus i have two kids under the age of 5, what happens if one attacks my kids.

From your sig line it seems you own guns. What about your kids getting a hold of one.

I've also harvested deer on my land, dogs would totally mess that up.

Really. The deer come up to my back fence line all the time. They also walk around the road at times. As do the turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, and other wild life.

You should get some facts before you get your shorts in a wad. You also sound like the same idiots in DC trying to pass reasonable gun laws.

Go talk with the neighbor before the meeting.

17. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I missed the 4 acres part. If she has 4+ acres too, that is considered a farm around here and a kennel would be an appropriate use.

Hopefully, your 4 acre property provides enough of a buffer zone that you are not bothered.

When you live out in the country, you have the sounds and smell of farming.

18. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Sounds to me like the lady is trying to go about it the right way rather than just building the kennel and later having legal problems. At least she has eight dogs in kennels rather than running loose and going onto other properties. Nothing said about the breed or size of the dogs and why she has them. Could be they are show dogs not mutts and she wants them properly safeguarded in a kennel. Many breeds are not noisy so I would ask a few questions before having a cow. There is a big difference between having eight silky terriers and eight red bone coon hounds.

19. JBnTX

JBnTX

Being libertarian...:rofl:

Well me being a fascist neocon, I don't have to put up with those 8 dogs barking all night and stinking up the place.

Whose rights have priority here?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  20. bug

bug

Shooting range my friend owns, has been their for years..
    zoned, licensed, insured.
    Last year guy buys land behind it knowing it there builds house and now he calls a complains about the noise...

I say if you bought land in the country then you have to put up with this kinda stuff.
    If its a allotment in a HOA then I think you have a say for sure...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013