Neighbor is moving to Atlanta....using ABF trucking semi trailer.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LEO/Dad, Oct 9, 2015.

1. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I was quite surprised to see a short ABF trucking semi trailer in my neighbor's driveway this morning. I knew they were moving to Atlanta, but just assumed they were using a moving company. I can't wait to talk to him as to why he is using a trucking company.......maybe substantially cheaper!

2. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

It is. My ex GF used an ABF trailer. I don't remember the cost, but it was really reasonable. It was a pretty long move too. Indy to Vegas.

3. ray9898

ray9898

I also know someone who used a trailer from NY to GA but I don't know the price. I know it was no where near a moving company rate. It was basically 1/2 their stuff and the other 1/2 was another load. The driver parked it when they arrived and they had something like 4 hours to unload it. He came back and hooked up and off he went.

4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Our last move from Tucson AZ to Reno/Sparks Nv we used ABF, and it was really inexpensive.

The packing company we used let me know that there are NO SHOCKS on the ABF Trailers, and packed accordingly. We had the top of a very inexpensive table break, and it was no big deal for us,,, but others may want to be sure to pack well to address the lack of shocks on the trailer.

The good news was that the 1800's ladies dressing station my wife has made it fully intact! That includes the 5' H x 2'W MIRROR made it with no issues! Was sweating that little piece big time...

The SUPER high deck on the trailer was another PITA. The deck on ours was right at 5.5 to 6 feet high! Loooooong ramp to climb when loading... make big heavy pieces pretty fun... LOL

Made moving the 900Lb safe a real pain, but I have that process down using 2 4 wheel furniture dollys and the cinch down hooked straps. Works really well for the past 3 recent moves, and it will be the method to move it when the new house is ready.

So, let em know about the no shocks situation, just in case they have antiques!

5. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

when they say "no shocks" they are probably spring ride which is still a springed ride but just not as nice as air ride.

how are they compared cost wise to the ipod type of containers that you load on ground level and then are loaded onto a flatbed?

the big moving companies used to make the bulk of their money hauling exhibits to and from trade shows and since those have for a big part gone away, they still have corporate and military moves, they must have raised their household moving rates even higher than they were.

also the small "starving student" moving companies have probably taken a lot of their work. I would also price those guys too.

6. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Their trailers are dock height.

They work best if you can back up in the front yard and run the ramp to your front porch.

I did that once with a rental truck and it was almost level with the porch and a straight shot into the trailer! :woohoo:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

7. MSW

MSW

A. Reading this reminds me of all the times I helped people move (I had a pick up truck);

B. I think every time I helped someone move, it rained;

C. Everyone who promised to help me move always manged to be busy when I had to move; and

D. If I ever had to move again, this ABF idea sounds pretty cool.

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

My 3 step moving process is much easier:
    1. Buy gasoline.
    2. Burn old house down with stuff in it.
    3. Buy new stuff for new house.

Moving sucks big time.

9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

They are high, but closer to 5 feet.

I would think they lowered their prices since there is more competition.

10. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

If you use a moving company for a long range move, you have to pay their fuel, return trip and possibly overnight expenses. If you use a company like ABF, you load it yourself, they deliver, and they put their trailer at the closest terminal to be used in typical operations.

I suggested to a neighbor who was moving 2 days away that they use a U-Haul, hire guys to load and unload it, and pay for a one way rental. They did just that, and supposedly saved a chunk of change, but I never got the figures.

11. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

This last move, we used a moving company. Cost overruns into the thousands. "sorry, I miscalculated how much stuff you have, we need an 'overrun' truck, it'll be $3000, ok?" UM NO

It was a screwup all the way around. And while tiny inconsequential fragile stuff made the move, a very large plate/birdbath thing I'd had forever was put in the truck under something heavy and shattered. literally nothing else was broken. Packing was done in the most disorganized stupid way ever, kids' stuff in the kitchen boxes, bathroom stuff in the basement stuff, things just thrown in together.

I imagine some of this was because I was higher than a kite 99% of the time on drugs and couldn't exert my usual iron control. :supergrin:

Oh that and racing the truck across the country because as they (gleefully) told us, it would be something like $1200 for every day they had to wait. The trucker was likely busting all speed limits to get here, because even traveling at breakneck (teehee) speeds, they still got here a whopping 30 minutes before we did.

I told The Mister he better like the East Coast because I don't want to move cross country again.

12. CAcop

CAcop

I home my next move is into an old folks home because it sucks. Last time we did a lot of it ourselves to save money. My wife learned her lesson. This last time we packed but had pros move it. Way less stress.

If we ever move out of state I will probably just dump a lot of the furniture and buy it new there. The move before this last one we bought a new TV vs move the big heavy old one. This last one we dumped the old couch and bought a new one.

13. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Talked to the neighbor. Cost for trailer was $1600.00, Illinois to Atlanta,Ga area. I am not sure if he used all of the trailer. He said they would partition off their stuff, and maybe pick up more frieght going down. He said a moving company was going to be about $800.00 more.

14. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

If from the Chicago area, that is a very good price, and not likely for the entire load I would think. If closer than Chicago, it would be more inline with what I would expect for a full load.

I'm just ball-parking though. At work, we use step deck and flatbed trailers with the occasional lowboy and use the entire load. Price will vary depending on where you are go into/out of. Cheaper to come out of Florida than to go into. Most moves int he midwest are cheaper because of proximity to other large cities.

15. G22-2nd Gen

G22-2nd Gen

We moved from Billings, Montana to Dalton, Georgia using ABF. We used all but 6 feet of the trailer, so they were able to put something else in there. It was right around $3000, I can't remember the exact amount. I do remember being kind of rushed with loading and unloading, but it wasn't too bad. I would use them again, if I ever decide to move across country again.

16. hooligan74

hooligan74

When we moved from MI to NC, we rented a Penske truck. 25% off if you're a AAA member, was way cheaper than any other truck rental company would could find for a 1-way rental.

We fit all the crap we had from our small (1250 sq/ft) 3 bdrm ranch, plus both of our motorcycles in it, I drove the truck, the wife drove her car - I was intentionally between cars at the time of the move.