Neglected

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by edellson, Jul 22, 2018.

1. edellson

edellson

So I felt a little guilt today while cleaning my everyday carry (Ruger LCP) I saw a little spot of rust on the rear of the slide. Thankfully it rubbed right off, and I thought how I would never neglect any of my other $500 plus pistols this way. I have carried this gun for around 8 years and it has never failed with aprox 750 rounds down the pipe. It is the last gun I shoot at the range every time I go and then I refill with fresh sd ammo. If I paid as much attention to this little Ruger as I did say my Glocks or HKs would it hold up better than them? Maybe not, but I will say this little gun has seen way more harsh conditions than my others ever will and has earned my trust.

MNBud, ithaca_deerslayer and FullClip like this.
  2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

What are you worried about. Stay on the spot and maintain the weapon. All metal rusts at some point but the fact that you are on top of it immediately makes the difference. Same thing could have happened to the Glock. What I learned from your post is that you are someone who pays the proper attention to firearms. This is nothing but a good thing.

Congratulations!

edellson likes this.

3. edellson

edellson

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I work in and out of a -20 freezer truck and elsie will condensate all day. I am amazed it hasn't happen before now. A plus for M-Pro-7 gun oil I guess.

FullClip likes this.
  4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

We all have the tendancy to ignore our trusted and true friends (gunz and peoples) while always polishing the fancy ones we hold more valuble, but less trustworthy.

edellson likes this.
  5. AL Bundy's Dodge

AL Bundy's Dodge

My wife’s lcp rusted all over the slide, but it came off with no visible damage. My Glock rusts so frequently under the rear cover plate that the metal is pitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

You shoot it and you carry it. Maybe it's not as neglected as you say. I own more Rugers than I do Glocks (9 to 8), so that must say a lot about my opinion of them.

edellson likes this.
  7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My LCP is not my main carry, but is my main carry when I need a very small gun :)

There is a lot to like about a light, small, thin, reliable .380.

edellson likes this.
  8. plp

plp

Yeah, go ahead, guilt the hell out of me.

Same with my Smith and Wesson Bodyguard, also a small, thin .380. And yes, have to swab the lint out of the action and wipe off the rust. Of everything I own, gets shot the most, cleaned the least, and gets carried daily.

A milsurp rifle I shoot twice a year will get a complete tear down and cleaning 15 minutes after I get home from the range, the BG gets cleaned about twice a year.

edellson likes this.