GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A family member is away at college and quickly comes down with the following symptoms: chills, body ache, fatigue, sore throat, and runny nose. The following morning reports to the campus medical for a Covid test and quickly receives a Negative on the rapid results test.

Told to quarantine until the symptoms are gone. But, if they continue or worsen, to come back for another test. Gets plenty of rest, stays in, and over the next 3-4 days the symptoms gradually subside.

To me, this sounds like a false negative. But, I guess it could be something else.

·
NRA Life Member
63,378 Posts
A family member is away at college and quickly comes down with the following symptoms: chills, body ache, fatigue, sore throat, and runny nose. The following morning reports to the campus medical for a Covid test and quickly receives a Negative on the rapid results test.

Told to quarantine until the symptoms are gone. But, if they continue or worsen, to come back for another test. Gets plenty of rest, stays in, and over the next 3-4 days the symptoms gradually subside.

To me, this sounds like a false negative. But, I guess it could be something else.
Sounds like the flu.

The bad news is, if you are under 25 the flu is more likely to kill you than COVID.

The good news is, the chance of the flu killing this person, while greater than COVID, hasn't been a big enough deal for us to worry about it in about 100 years.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
What? They just started school and they already have to take tests??? That’s some bull**** right there. He probably didn’t even have time to study.

PS, it sounds like he was hung over. He’ll need to up his party game at college.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
What? They just started school and they already have to take tests??? That’s some bull**** right there. He probably didn’t even have time to study.

PS, it sounds like he was hung over. He’ll need to up his party game at college.

Hahaha

Reactions: jimcorbin

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to rain on anyone's parade, and thoughts of staying home as a teenager, but.... I never said the family member was a boy.

That's what cracks me up. They don't care about anything but Covid. They could be testing for everything and mapping it all right now.
I agree. So, you're negative for Covid. Go home and quarantine anyway. If you get worse, come back and we'll test you for Covid again.

As for it being a cold or the flu, maybe. Just seems like you have lingering symptoms for more than 3-4 days with either of those.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts

It sounds negative for CoVid. did they run a flu test? Any fever? The quarantining sounds right, because if you are sick stay out of the public.
Everything is not CoVid-19. Most things aren’t.

·
emeritus
3,046 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade, and thoughts of staying home as a teenager, but.... I never said the family member was a boy.

I agree. So, you're negative for Covid. Go home and quarantine anyway. If you get worse, come back and we'll test you for Covid again.

As for it being a cold or the flu, maybe. Just seems like you have lingering symptoms for more than 3-4 days with either of those.
We moved on. Short attention span.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds negative for CoVid. did they run a flu test? Any fever? The quarantining sounds right, because if you are sick stay out of the public.
Everything is not CoVid-19. Most things aren’t.
They did not run a flu test. I assumed a fever because of the chills, but don't know for sure about a fever.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Sounds more like Flu...

from what I have read, and know from a couple of people who contracted Covid-19, it starts slower and gets bad 4 or 5 days in. The two I know who had it said it started with a mild sore throat which lasted 3 or four days, then kind of exploded into fever and infection in the lungs. Their lungs hurt, and their cough was dry and unproductive, and by the time they got to the doctor about a week in, shortness of breath, and fever of 102 or so.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds more like Flu...

from what I have read, and know from a couple of people who contracted Covid-19, it starts slower and gets bad 4 or 5 days in. The two I know who had it said it started with a mild sore throat which lasted 3 or four days, then kind of exploded into fever and infection in the lungs. Their lungs hurt, and their cough was dry and unproductive, and by the time they got to the doctor about a week in, shortness of breath, and fever of 102 or so.
I've heard very similar stories of Covid progressing in a similar manner. But, I don't know about the younger crowd. Usually, I've just heard mild or no symptoms. What were the ages of the couple?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Old Bob was banging them left and right.
I couldn’t have never anticipated where this thread would go!

Update: family member is doing very well and is now symptom free. However, just before coming down with symptoms last week, ran into a friend who has now tested positive. Family member has to continue quarantine and will be scheduling another test due to being near someone who has tested positive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts