Glock Talk banner

Needs a new starter, right?

365 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  GLOCK19FTW

Already got the new starter last night, but before I start taking the old one out and putting the new one in, just wanted to see if there are any mechanics on here that can confirm the starter is the issue here.

May have to tap to enable sound on the video.

It's like the bendex isn't popping out and connecting to the flex plate at all. Just spinning in place instead.

Am I right? Pretty sure I am but a 2nd opinion never hurts.

Vehicle is a 2008 Honda Civic LX

Gonna be a pain in the ass to get to but whatever, gotta do what ya gotta do.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automatic transmission so it has a flex plate, not a flywheel. But yeah I was 99.9999% certain that's the issue, which is why I bought the starter last night and had it delivered.

Just figured it costs nothing to post and get a 2nd opinion before I start the work, so why not.

Well.. looks like I have some work to do.

I just don't feel like ****ing with it right now. Blah. lol if it was my old Nissan I wouldn't mind, that thing was so easy to access I would have it done in under 10 minutes.

This car though.. not so much. It's under the engine in a very hard to access spot :mad:

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyway to beat/bang hard enough to maybe jar it loose to engage. Nothing like a good hammer when in doubt.
Not for this car. No way to access it without raising the vehicle and crawling underneath. Might as well just replace it once you get that far lol

· Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Side note: that ground strap looks exposed and cannot tell if it's attached to the frame.
Make sure your battery is good first; all kinds of wierd stuff happens with a weak battery. It's probably a starter, but worth checking before you jack up the car and start busting your knuckles.
I feel your pain. Ain't nothing like 16" of ground clearance to work under a car.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm gonna cover that with electrical tape as well. It's never been an issue in the 2 years I've had it, but I'm still gonna cover it anyway.

And ****, I don't even think I have 16" clearance. Maybe like 9 or 10 max. Probably not even that much tbh. That's pretty much why I'm sitting here instead of working on it. Just putting it off until I decide to go do it lmao

· Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna cover that with electrical tape as well. It's never been an issue in the 2 years I've had it, but I'm still gonna cover it anyway.

And ****, I don't even think I have 16" clearance. Maybe like 9 or 10 max. Probably not even that much tbh. That's pretty much why I'm sitting here instead of working on it. Just putting it off until I decide to go do it lmao
If you don't have jack stands, put your front tires under the frame, just in case. Taking the tires off could give you more light too.
Maybe watch a couple diy YT videos on a Honda starter to get your motivation going.
That's one of my tricks when I don't want to get to something.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have two 3-ton jack stands I will be using. Will also chock the rear wheels just because I'm paranoid and would prefer not to be crushed by a giant chunk of steel today :D

· Registered
16,878 Posts
You can put blocks under the jack to get the height you need for the jack stands, which you absolutely need to use.

And, yes, thats the starter's Bendix not engaging properly, so a new starter is the fix.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can put blocks under the jack to get the height you need for the jack stands, which you absolutely need to use.

And, yes, thats the starter's Bendix not engaging properly, so a new starter is the fix.
I tried, the 2x8's are all I have and then it's not low enough to slip under the jack point. I really need a thin piece of plywood or something, like 1.75" sheathing would probably be perfect.

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
This has happened to me a couple of times and always in some inconvenient place and time. I keep a hammer in the trunk for just such issues. I have smacked the side of the starter and got it to engage. Of course, its probably time for a new starter asap.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Wow. The answer to my problem was sitting in the neighbor's yard.

Months ago a tree fell on their roof. There is a piece of scrap plywood that is exactly the right size that I need sitting in their yard from the repairs still being done.

Amazing coincidence. And there is tons of other stuff in case I need anything else sitting in the scrap pile. I might go stock up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts