close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need your opinion on a G19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Citori Shotgunner, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Citori Shotgunner

Citori Shotgunner

Hi Folks,

I don't post here much, but I generally read a lot. That's why I need to ask your opinion on something.

Currently, my home defense gun is a Kahr K9. I have carried it some, but mostly it has been a home defense / truck gun. The reason for this post is that I am thinking about trading it in for a G19. Here's why...

First, I would like something that will take a higher capacity magazine. Fifteen rounds for the G19 vs. Seven round mag for the K9. Second, the fact that the G19 has a rail for mounting lasers / lights. Since this is an HD gun, a mounted light is important to me.

My Kahr has served me well, but I think it's time for something a little more for HD use. My everyday carry is a G27 or a Ruger LCP in the front pocket. My wife has a Taurus 85 .38 spl that she carries. Here are a few questions...

Those of you who own both Kahrs and Glocks... which do you prefer and why... the G19 or the K9? Second, how well does the G19 carry if there were ever an instance to where I needed to carry it? If my wife can effectively shoot the K9, do you think she would have a problem with the G19? Finally, what do you think a fair trade in value would be on a Kahr K9 that has had around 600 rounds through it, but has no other visible wear or scratches (I have taken extremely good care of it)?

Thanks for your replies in advance. I would love to keep both, but I own several other handguns and a ton of long guns. My wife has respectfully asked that if I get something new, to please trade something in. I know that sucks, but I want to keep her happy.

2. cciman

cciman

Owning a PM9 myself, I prefer any one of my Glocks for the same reason you said : round count. The only reason I'm keeping my PM9 is for "dressier" occasions where I can slip it into my pocket with just a pocket holster. K9 is I think is roughly the same size as G19, just slimmer.

If your wife can shoot the DAO trigger on a K9, she will have no problems on a G19. She does have to get used to a shorter trigger reset, faster followup shooting potential.

3. den888

den888

The G19 has much better magazine capacity, 15 rounds in a G19...

4. conpro

conpro

G19 is the way to go and very reliable.

5. redmanlives

redmanlives

Go for the G19 , its one of the best guns I own.

6. j-glock22

j-glock22

15+1+training=good I recommend the 19 for you as well.

7. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

I own Kahr K9 and G19. For use you describe most definitely upgrade
    to more firepower and one of the best Glocks ever. Get some good
    HD ammo and practice for that scenario (e.g. home invasion). Good
    luck!

8. coal

coal

The Glock is the better, cheaper, higher-capacity all-around defensive shooter: Why Glock. The K9 is smaller; that's about its only benefit IMO.

I owned the P9 and MK9. Both great guns. The MK9 is a small, but heavy belt gun; it's too heavy for pocket. The P9 was a great gun. Very small, very light for a full-grip gun. Both were reliable. But, for me, it came down to 16rds vs. 8rds and 11-12rds vs. 7rds. Simple choice: Glock 19 and G26. However, I'd gladly take my P9 back just to have that carry option.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  9. viniglock

viniglock

I own Kahrs and Glocks, like them all. I like options.
    But under your predicament the G19 will serve you.

10. PrimitiveHunter

PrimitiveHunter

I had a G19. It failed to eject and/or feed once almost every mag. Brass would fly in all directions; sometimes hitting me in the forehead, sometimes on top of the head, and sometimes on my cheek under my shooting glasses. The bullets that left the barrel were just about as wild. I couldn't hit the side of a barn if I were standing inside. I sent it to Glock and they brought it up to current standards which solved the jamming but not the random points of impact. I dumped that one and bought a G31 which is the most accurate handgun I've ever owned (lest you think I hate Glocks). I loaned it to my Son for his CHL qualifying class and he put 11 holes in the target with 50 rounds; of course 1 hole was really big.

I think Glocks are just like Colts, Kimbers, Sigs, etc. Every once in a while a bad apple comes off the tree and I picked that apple for my G19.

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

+1000!

12. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

Glock 19 w/ a Mounted light and high capacity mag? Not many HD guns can beat it, unless it is another Glock of course.

13. rd3

rd3

and you can slap a g17 mag in it for home defense and get 2 more rounds or even put a g18 33round mag in it. Can't do that with the kahr I don't think anyway

14. 303brit

303brit

You will not regret a G19, and they conceal and carry very well. I use mine as my everyday carry.
    During the work week were I have to holster and unholster a couple times a day, I use a hybrid IWB holster. On the weekends where I just strap it on and don’t take it off until night I use leather OWB.
    Both just about disappear under a light cover shirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. b/smith

b/smith

+1 on the g19

16. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

Glock 19 is the best bet... you can use it for home defense and CCW too. KAHRs are too over priced as compared to Glocks.