Need your input on Glock 19 or Glock 30S (cancelled delete so others may benefit from postings)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Triple Taps, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Triple Taps

Triple Taps

Need your input on Glock 19 or Glock 30S (cancelled delete so others may benefit from postings)

Since others may benefit from all the postings I will continue the thread.

Please keep the helpful comments coming, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. sig357fan

sig357fan

well for me it came down to round count, yes I'm a fan of the 357 Sig but for few ounces more, I can carry more ammo with the 9 mm platform than other rounds, running a +P round in a G19 with 2 G17 mags with extensions gives me 55 rounds.

just my $0.02 worth,

sig357fan

"Cold Dead Hands" ! likes this.

3. rudeguy

rudeguy

I carry a 19 and have no complaints. There are about a million comparison videos that convinced me that 9mm is more than enough for personal protection. If I need more than the 13" of penetration the Gold Dot +Ps give, then chances are that I am somehow fighting an elephant who is high on bath salts and I probably shouldn't have messed with him in the first place.

4. GlockManDrew

GlockManDrew

I don't own a G30S, but man my G19 is a damn fine weapon. My daughter, niece, and nephews each will receive a brand new G19 on their 21st birthday for carry.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

I find the G26 a bit easier to carry than the G19. I think the G19 is about the best choice as a single handgun but I like the G34 or G41 more at the range.

6. seattlesetters

seattlesetters

The 9MM is just as effective as any other normal service cartridge. I admit that and I am a HUGE fan of the .45 ACP.

Since it also happens to be easier to shoot and offers more capacity in similarly-sized guns, it's a no-brainer. Especially so when HD is part of the equation.

G19 FTW.

7. rudeguy

rudeguy

I really, really want a 45 but I'm so cheap!

8. seattlesetters

seattlesetters

If you want a .45, go big. Think G21 or G41. Then, the capacity issue kind of almost goes away.

My nightstand gun is a G41. I figure that there isn't much I can solve with 15+1 of 9mm that couldn't get solved with 13+1 of .45 ACP. Drop that down to a G30 of some sort, and the difference in capacity becomes a big plus for the G19.

If you wait and watch the various online outlets, you can get 1,000 round cases of .45 ACP delivered to your door for around $300. It really isn't that bad. You have to be patient, have the money on-hand at all times and be diligent about checking those websites 3-4 times every day. After three or four such purchases, you're golden and don't really need to worry too much about the added expense vs. 9MM.

Cred's Cariad likes this.
  9. Gomez93

Gomez93

Like most everyone else, I enjoy shooting my G19. I can't offer a comparison to the G30s yet as mine is still on order. I do however have a G36 and my wife will shoot it all day over the G19.

10. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

You should try out a g30S before you decide if you havent already.
    Im a 45acp fan and like the size and capacity of the g30S. But the
    gen3 grip is not for me. I have to get a grip reduction done on it. I can shoot it ok but the hump hits my hand wrong. Gen4 g41 fits my hand way better.
    Gen4 g19 and Vickers gen3 both have grip dimensions that suit me. G30S feels odd in my hand.
    I have medium hand and short fingers.

11. seattlesetters

seattlesetters

Yup. I love the idea of the G30S but not the Gen 3 frame. Once (if) it is available in a Gen 4 version I'll be the first to plunk down the cash.

RetailNinjitsu likes this.
  12. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have and carry a G-19 and it makes a great carry pistol especially with + P rounds. I also Have and carry a G-30s it is also a great pistol, and I like the 45ACP. To make a choice between the two is a hard choice. I got my 19 first, and later on the 30s when I heard that they were available in my area. The 21 magazine will fit the 30s gives you 13 extra rounds.
    Either way you have a good pistol with you.

13. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

I don't own a G30, but I do have a Gen 4 G19. I didn't like the way the G30 uses part of the magazine to extend the grip. Don't like it in other models that do it, either (like the SR9c).

I love my G19, which I really didn't expect when I bought it. I just figured that if I well-and-truly hated it, it'd be easy enough to sell, and I could trade up. Three years, one slide lock spring, and ~1800 rounds later, she rarely leaves my side. She eats any and all kinds of ammo, is more accurate than I am, and doesn't care if I don't break out the Q-tips after every range session. All that and 15 +1 of 9mm in a ~30 oz package? What's not to love?

Rockermann likes this.
  14. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

I have (3) 26's (1) 33 and (1) 30s left. I prefer the 26 or 33 over the 30s, in performance and the platform. I also have (3) 17's and I shoot all equally well.

I have no issues with recoil and carry the 26/33 in pocket or appendix. I feel the .357 sig offers head and shoulders above the choices you have selected. The 9's and 45's were for competitive situations and the .357 sig for defense. If defense is your criteria then this exercise is a no brainer.

15. wyntrout

wyntrout

I like both... bought my wife a G19-3, then a G19-4 for a smaller grip and sold the Gen 3. It's easy to shoot and I would go with the Speer +P 124-gr Gold Dots Short barrel. I like my G30S better for the firepower increase over my usual Kahr P40/P9/PM45 carries. For me, either is a large pistol for concealment, but I did carry the G30S about 4 times just to try it out. I always knew that it was there, unlike the Kahr single-stacks that seem to disappear. I dress with long large-sized tees and polos, so I could hide just about anything and reach for a top shelf without "showing".
    I really like the G30S and can shoot it as well or better than anything else. I have a choice of mags... usually 9+1 + always carry a spare in 9, 19, or 13 rounds opposite side, since all Glock double-stack .45 ACP mags fit it. That was a big consideration being able to use double-stack mags from my G21 SF.

For carry, I use the Speer 230-gr GDSB, but the BONDED Remington 230-gr Golden Sabers are also used.

For my "battle pistol" I have the G21 SF and also a G23C for home defense.

I put Trijicon HD NS Yellow FS on all MY Glocks, as well as the Ghost 3.5 Connector, extended slide release and slide lock levers and mag release. I also added to the G30S a bike tube grip cover using 1.75 tire size.

Wynn :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Gomez93 likes this.
  16. Bryanmc57

Bryanmc57

I own both and you can't go wrong with either. The 30s replaced my 30 in the carry rotation because it's a little easier to conceal.

Ray26 likes this.
  17. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

I've carried a 19 for many years now. I also bought the 30s with the intent of carrying it. I prefer to carry with a backup which for many years was a J frame Smith & Wesson.
    When I got the 30s, I also picked up a double tap Derringer in 45. This was going to be my bug, carried in my weak side pocket.
    I've gone back to the 19. I've also bought a 43. The 43 serves as my bug and is carried in a pocket holster weak-side.
    The reason I went back to the 19 with the 43 was total number of rounds available without a Reload. I just feel more comfortable with a 19 and the 9 millimeter than the 45 caliber. Your mileage may vary.

18. BlkSheep

BlkSheep

I go hard for the 19. Have 5 of em and 2 26s.

19. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

image.png
    G19 for her.
    Nice but I want one too !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  20. glock-fan

glock-fan

I have a 45 in my night stand, the g17/g19 is on the range bag, and the g43 is my EDC.