close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Your Help-Most reliable AR-15 rifle!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Coffee Dog, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Coffee Dog

Coffee Dog

Hello shooters!
    I am looking to purchase a AR-15 rifle that is extremely reliable for both home defense & plinking at targets! I am no beginner to shooting this style of rifle --I shot Colt's M-16 for 3 years while active in the Marine Corp! I need a AR-15 rifle that has a barrel lenght of 18 thru 20 inches long and is extemely resistant to jamming!

Thank-You for your thoughts!

2. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

3. internal

internal

All guns can jam.

The guys who are sitting the best are not the guys who have spent mucho $$$$ on a supposedly "nonjamming" rifle, its the guys who know how to wrench and troubleshoot their rifles.

I would say ANY AR15 with a good quality and fully inspected/tested BCG would be a "reliable" AR15.

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

5. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

Colt, Noveske, BCM, LMT, LWRC.

But if you want the most reliable AR, the choice is simple;

AK-47 :rofl:

hardeyes

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

A great place for AR-15 info, with a high ratio of pros to internet commandos:

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7206084761

If you want to post, follow the rules in terms of posting an introduction and fill out your profile after registering. Use the site search before starting a new thread. There are stupid questions - if you ask one, it will be pointed out to you. Enjoy.

ETA: You can get a lot of good training and equipment info by reading the AARs for training courses in the 'Professional Development ' forum at the same web site. If you want, PM me and I will email you a long Word document I distilled from a lot of AR15.com posts by Pat Rogers, a noted trainer who posts great AARs over at Lightfighter in the aforementioned forum.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. PaulTX

PaulTX Millennium Member

I've got a Rock River Arms AR-15 and it runs great!

Paul

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Bushmaster
    Rock River
    M&P
    :supergrin:

9. limestonebeef

limestonebeef

I purchased a DPMS Sportical because it was the lease expensive AR I could find new. I wanted it for plinking and paper punching and for an introduction to the world of AR's. I've been pleasantly surprised by its accuracy and problem free operation. I purchased 1000 rounds of ammo for it, and I'm more than half way through them with no jams yet.

10. Wickersham

Wickersham

11. renotrainer

renotrainer u must train

Smith and Wesson M&P 15T.

Love mine. Just keep it oiled and you will have no issues. Great customer service also on my hand guns anyway never sent in a AR style black rifle

12. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

13. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Being that you were in the Marines you probably know the key to a rifle being reliable is keeping it clean and taking good care of it.

The most reliable AR15s are Gas-Piston. Check out the Stag Arms Stag-15 Model. Here is a review of it: http://www.gunblast.com/Stag-Model8.htm

[​IMG]

14. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

I'd be interested in this, if you don't mind. Sending PM.

15. fowler

fowler

Its not a AR ,but a Ak or sks.

16. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

Take you choice, There are many nice ARs out here to chose from. BushMaster and DPMS are two great ones. Not cleaning the gun and forcing WOLF ammo down it and all bets are off....

17. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Bushmaster and DPMS are considered 'hobby' guns, not top tier rifles at all, by people who know what they are talking about. Unfortunately, I own a number of them but would not buy another now that I have educated myself.

Nothing personal, but you don't know what you are talking about. Neither did I, but I learned. So can you and the other readers. The following is a link to probably the most comprehensive discussion of the technical specs of all the major M4 style carbine components, and which companies use which spec. I would assume the specs hold for rifle length and mid length systems, where applicable.

Notice on the chart where Bushmaster and DPMS fall in terms of the specs they meet - at the bottom.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA

18. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

While I dont have an AR myself. My best buddy has a Bush Master model unknown. I have never seen it or heard tell of it malfuctioning. Believe me! We shoot the crap out of that gun every weekend.

19. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Being that he was in the military (as I was) he was probably NOT taught that the single most important thing he can do to keep his AR pattern rifle/carbine running is to KEEP IT LUBRICATED. Cleaning is secondary.

The military, for most soldiers, does a terrible job in teaching the proper use and maintenance of small arms. Instead, the emphasis is on wasting time cleaning to a white glove standard, that in many cases ends up damaging components by wearing off protective coatings. There is an over-reliance on square range administrative safety and a lack of realistic live fire training, and a lack of training in basics like gunhandling, ammunition carriage, and reloading. It took me 10 years after I got out to figure that out for myself. If you doubt what I am saying, here is one vivid example:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38540