Need WMA-MP3 help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CarlosC, Feb 24, 2010.

1. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Okay, so I downloaded Koyotesoft's converter to convert my WMA files to MP-3 and I tried it with two songs, but the file size difference is now only .03MB less from WMA to MP-3. Where did I go wrong??? I have the sampling set to 44,100HZ and the Bit rate to 128 kbit.

2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

If they are both 128bitrate the size between them should be virtually identical with MP3 taking a very slight lead (due to filtering out inauble signals a little differently).

ETA: WMA is actually a very efficient codec ... who'dathunk M$ would creat something efficient? Of course, it's proprietary so, there's the M$ thinking, right there.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010

3. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

So, what settings should I use to reduce the size of the file, but still retain good quality?

4. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

128k should provide you with about a meg a minute at cd quality ... what more are you looking for?

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, a 3 minute song should be about 3megabytes in size ... is that what you're experiencing?

5. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

So at that setting, I should be able to get about 100 songs on a typical CD, correct?

Why then, if the file sizes are so close, would I be able to get that many songs onto a CD in MP-3 format, but only about a dozen songs on a CD in WMA format?

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Songs on CD are in AIFF format not WMA ... the difference here is the way you're burning them not the file sizes. If I burn songs to a cd that any old cd player can play, even my 1992 sony walkman I get about 12-20 songs depending on a few variables. If burn the WMA or MP3 files directly to disk as data I can get a dozen albums on there (more on DVD). That doesn't have anything to do with file size between MP3 and WMA.

100 songs per cd is a bit of a stretch unless they are very shorth songs, the shorter the songs the more you can fit :D ... but ~ 80 minutes of 128k audio should be about right. 80 songs at 128k should be about right depending on the length.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Thanks. Sorry for the dumb questions.

8. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

They aren't dumb at all ... I apologize if I sounded annoyed or condescending.

I was just trying to explain the nuances of the different variables you appeared to be facing.

9. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

CarlosC, you might try using VBR set at like, 4 or 5, as opposed to using 128k cbr (what you're using now).

This would keep the same (or higher) audio quality and probably yield smaller file sizes.

The difference being that variable bit rate (vbr) ups or lowers the bit rate depending on the complexity of the sound, vs. CBR keeping the bit rate the same no matter what.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I maintain that the file size difference will be negligible and have no real bearing on the difference between getting 12 songs on a cd and 80 at 128k ...

But you're correct VBR will yield slightly smaller MP3s with virtually no change in audible quality.

If you're ripping a collection now, try both and see what you think. If you currently have a collection ripped, re-ripping is not worth my time, YMMV ...

11. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

One last question....when I burn the MP-3 files onto a disc for playback, on a car stereo that has MP-3 capability for example, is it just a matter of burning the files like regular files, or is it necessary to burn them through Media Player or something else?

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Just the data files, even in folders if your like, as long as the head unit plays MP3s specifically.

13. Linux3

Linux3

14. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Why?

That won't help him burn files to disk.

15. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

If nothing else, this will help with the personal thread counts.

Okay, so I transferred the files to the disk. I tried it in my car...disc error. Tried it in the BlueRay....disc error. I looked at the disc and it says I have 160 songs (685MB), all in MP3 format. It plays fine on the PC. So where did I go wrong?

16. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Did you finalize the disk? That's a common error. Often the disk will be readable on the PC it was burned on but no other devices will read it until it is finalized. It should be a function of your burning software, something to the effect of "do you want to close this session? You will not be able to add more data to the disk once it is closed" ... or similar verbage.

Aside from that, I have no idea why it wouldn't work, unless your head unit/BD-player doesn't play Mp3s, which I would find hard to believe if they were purchased in the last 3 years.

17. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Yes, it was finalized. In fact, I can take it and play it on any PC, but just not the BlueRay or my car. My BlueRay is a 3-month old Sony and it even says it plays MP3s.