close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need training advice...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by gunguru1, Jan 5, 2006.

1. gunguru1

gunguru1

Hello all,

In order to add variety to my workouts I am thinking about switching from using a barbell to using dumbbells for my biceps training. My question is, if I were to switch from using a barbell to using dumbbells and then back to using a barbell again would I need to reduce the weight of the barbell? For example, I currently do 3 sets of 8 reps with a 60lb barbell. If I used only dumbbells for a while and then went back to using a barbell would I need to start at, say, 55lbs? I was thinking of training my biceps with dumbbells only for about 6 weeks.

Thanks in advance,

gunguru1

2. b8es_

b8es_

You typically wouldnt lose strength going between a barbell or dumbbells, unless you radically change how you are lifting, like doing sets of 20 or something instead of your typical 8. You typically get stronger if anything by adding some variety.

3. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

You can keep using the barbell. Dumbbell is fine too.

Here is a suggestion though:

For example, you could go "Old School" and go 5 sets with 5 reps each w/ the barbell. For arguments sake you do 1 set of 5 at 45lbs. The 2nd set of 5 reps at 55 lbs. Now you do 3 sets of 5 reps at 60 lbs. If you've done that, then next week go up to 62.5 or 65 lbs and use the 3rd, 4th, and 5th sets as "working" sets.

Every time you can move up the weight do so. If you can not get the 3 sets with 5 reps work on it until you do.

Bottom line though, fool around with it and see what works for you.

4. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

You might have to drop a few pounds when you go back to the barbell, but everyone is different.

Reason being that your body won't be accustomed to the barbell movement, even though it essentially the same as dumbell curls.

But stereotypically dumbell movements are a little harder and work stabilizing muscles a little more, since your arms are free to go in other directions since they aren't held on the same plane as with a barbell.

So if you keep the same intensity with your new dumbell workout, in theory you might come back a little stronger, and be able to do more with the barbell.

It will also depend on if you're trying to get stronger, or just maintaining your current strength.

Give it a shot and see what happens.;)