close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need to seal Jalousie windows

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bocaboca, Apr 6, 2010.

1. bocaboca

bocaboca

I live in south Florida and summer is on its way. I have 22 jalousie windows in my house. I can’t afford to replace them with “up to date windows” so I’m stuck with windows that don’t provide a tight shut which allows the a/c to escape. I don’t want to put visqueen over them (that would look trashy). Is there any way to get a better seal other than caulking them?

the house was built in 1959....so were the windows

For those of you who don’t know what jalousie window is: A jalousie window is a window which consists of parallel glass louvers set in a frame. The louvers are locked together onto a track, so that they may be tilted open and shut in unison, to control airflow through the window. They are usually controlled by a crank mechanism.
    thanks

2. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

The quickest and most effective way is going to be filling every single one with silicone (not caulk).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

3. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

Our house in Atlanta was built in 46, we bought in 58. The front porch has a door, and 8 windows. The next year we purchased a roll of soft plastic or rubber U shaped , which we placed on the bottom edge of each piece of glass and cut to fit. 51 years later, it"s still there although yellowed and hard. Saved a ton of money over the years.

4. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

That's what I was going to suggest at first, but he has 22 windows so I figured he was looking for a quick fix. If he's willing to put the time into it, he could put the weather stripping on all of them like you did and the windows would look better and still function.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. Speakeasy

Speakeasy TelecasterJones

Did you find a solution? One possibility if you don't mind never opening the windows again, is to fasten a sheet of plexiglass to the inside. Or build a hinged wooden frame and have the plexiglass swing in (or out) like shutters. It would be expensive, but much cheaper than total replacement. And if you use Lexan instead of plexiglass (much stronger) it would help if you had flying debris in a hurricane - double duty!