close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need to rethink my carry.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TimmyR41, Feb 17, 2010.

1. TimmyR41

TimmyR41

I will start with a little background. I work for a family business in a relatively quiet neighborhood. My mom, her brother, my two cousins and I are the owners. I wear a long sleeve button down dress shirt tucked in pretty much every day except for Fridays. Fridays are dress down days so I will usually wear jeans and an un-tucked button down dress shirt. I have been trying for over a year now to figure out how to carry my g19 in a c-tac in my dress pants with a shirt tucked over and have failed to do so. Because of that up until today I have been carrying when I can conceal which is Fridays only and the other days I have the gun in my vehicle.

My mom and one of our employee were meeting with an angry customer today and it got to the point where I thought he was going to go across the conference table after my mom or our employee. (Unfortunately it was something that was totally beyond the control of our company but the customer would not accept that)

It never got to the point where a gun would have been needed but it got me thinking. What if it had. I have my pistol out in my vehicle but that would do me no good there if things got out of hand in here.

There are a couple of options to consider.

1. I could just bring the gun in with me every day and put it in my desk. This would be the easiest thing to do and I will probably do this until I find a more suitable alternative. Down side is the gun is not always with me. Sometimes I'm in another office. I may have a bad guy between me and my gun. Not ideal.

2. Buy a smaller gun that I can more easily tuck a shirt around or that I can pocket carry. This is probably what will happen in the end but due to financial reasons now is not an option.

3. Purchase equipment to aid in carrying the 19. This is where I'm at I think. At least until i can fund the purchase of a second pistol.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Holster suggestions, clothing considerations.

I was thinking maybe a shoulder holster under my dress shirt would be an option. I've never had any experience with a shoulder holsters to know if that would work but I was thinking it may be an option.

I've shied away from trying different "tuckable" holsters because I figure if I can't tuck with the c-tac I probably can't tuck with anything else. I could be wrong though so if someone has a suggestion for something to try I'm open to options.

I probably should add that I am about 6'2" and weigh 225.

Thanks.

2. 357glocker32

357glocker32

I wear a crossbread suptertuck everyday with a g32 (same size as your g19) and have no problems with tucking the shirt in. My father, who knows i carry, is amazed at how it dissapears. I wear dress pants and a button down shirt everyday. I have no experience with the c-tac, but it is incredibly easy to tuck with the crossbread. It takes about 15 more seconds to tuck my shirt in. I wear mine at about 330-4 oclock.

3. rayc12

rayc12 Fort worth, Tx

I also use a Crossbread supertuck with a Kimber 1911. I work in jeans and a polo shirt every day(and lucky jeans and affliction shirts the rest of the time) and have been very impressed with the holster, in any clothes.

+1 Crossbread

4. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

LCP in the pocket or on ankle.

5. TimmyR41

TimmyR41

i have tried everywhere from right over my hip to about 5:30 or so and nothing has worked so far. Maybe I need to just keep trying. I don't see much difference in the design on the super tuck over the ctac aside from the leather backing. probably makes it more comfortable but I wouldn't think it would be any easier to tuck. I could be wrong there though.

I'll keep trying to tuck but I'm still interested in other options that may be available.

6. TimmyR41

TimmyR41

LCP in a pocket or ankle is a thought I've had, other was a Smith 642 in pocket or ankle. However I don't really have the funds for a new gun at this point unfortunately. So I'm going to try to do the best I can with the 19 till I can afford another gun.

Maybe I can convince the company to buy me a "work" gun. haha.

7. perkins3120

perkins3120

i agree with the ankle option it is forgotten most of the time but it is great

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I have a Glock 26.

If you wear an inside the waistband (IWB) holster, and have a loose dress shirt, you can tuck the shirt in over the gun, and just make sure your shirt is "bloused" so it is evenly loose around you. Then you won't print too bad. I wear on my hip at my side. I prefer an IWB that rides low, so most of the gun is below my beltline except for the grip.

Something like a .38 snubbie is much easier to conceal, wearing it the same way. I have one of those, also. MUCH EASIER.

To make your current gun work, you might also consider wearing a sportcoat (dress jacket, often worn with a tie), over your dress shirt. That would aid you in concealment. Simple and easy to do. It will only make you look classier, and give you better chances with the chicks. Seriously.

9. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

With a sport coat he could conceal a Kel Tec PLR-16

10. js0ne

js0ne

I tuck my shirt with both my C-Tac and M-tac with no problems (G19). Clips are visible and my rights side is a little wider than my left.

mainly the only time I tuck my shirt in is in church, so there's always someone standing right behind me. I have yet to be discovered.

if you look for it, you'll see it, but hardly anybody looks for it.

11. TimmyR41

TimmyR41

I've thought about a sports coat but I don't really have any need to impress the chicks as I'm getting married soon. I see a few problems with the sports coat.
    1. It is extremely uncharacteristic of me to dress up that much. everyone will know something is up. It took me a few months of wearing something other than tshirts on the evenings and weekends for people to stop making comments like, why are you so dressed up.
    2. The office really isn't that dressy. Most people wear a polo or a button down dress shirt with no tie. I would stick out like a sore thumb against the other employees. I'm sure its just because I carry but if I walked into a place with a bunch of employees in polos and 1 guy in a shirt tie and coat I would assume the guy with the coat was carrying.
    3. What do you do with the gun when you have to take the coat off? I work on the computers a lot here and I'm often crawling under peoples desks. Not exactly sport coat occasion.

That being said there are probably a few occasions where that would work so I may have to go out and get myself a new sport coat.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  12. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

I can tuck shirt in with Crossbreed and Mtac holster. Putting it in your desk is a good option until you get a smaller pocket gun but I would rather have a full size on me in my crossbreed. Look at some youtube videos of people concealing with tucked in shirts and what they are doing as it will give you a better visual.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The key is confidence, man. If you are confident in your appearance, then nobody is going to care. Maybe you are just growing up, or maybe it is because you are getting married. Who knows. But you started to dress nicer. It is your decision. You and I know it is because it helps to conceal the gun.

In addition to the sportcoat, look for some other dressy options, like a vest, or cardigan sweater. Get a few different things, and rotate them around. So, you like dressing up nowadays. People will get over it.

As to crawling under a desk, so maybe that's a time nobody's watching you as closely. Tell them to step out to give you room. Or untuck your dress shirt when you are about to go under the desk, to give you more flexibility to reach computer wires.

As to the chicks, just because you are getting married doesn't mean you can't look sharp. Maybe even your future wife will appreciate it.

14. TimmyR41

TimmyR41

Those are some valid points ithaca.

I will give it serious consideration. I don't think it will be a solution for every day but it is a possible solution for some days.

I am growing up, haha. It took me awhile to be comfortable wearing what I wear every day now. I hate to dress up. But I made the changes in my evening and weekend attire so I could carry, I guess I have to at least consider doing the same with my work attire.

Thanks.

On a side note I assume you are from the Ithaca area. Have you heard of the band Revision? I believe they got their start in the Ithaca area while they were going to college there.

15. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

when moneys an option i think ankle carry would be your best option, even something like a .22lr would do the job if youre in an office setting. but otherwise wear what you normally would to work and go to a local 'upscale' gun shop and let them know the problem: they will more than likely let you try a few holsters on and see what works best/most comfortable.

16. boomhower

boomhower

My vote would be to stick in your desk until you can get a pocket gun. LCP, LCR, and P3AT would all be good choices.

17. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

18. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

19. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

My vote is for option 2 and buy yourself a gun you can have on you everywhere. If you already have a C-tac and can't find a way to tuck your G19 in, I don't think spending money on another tuckable holster would necessarily work for you. As for the off body carry option, never have or will be a fan of it if there are other options at your disposal. Most pocket and mouse guns aren't that pricy unless you venture towards companies like Kahr and Rohrbough.

I also suggest you look into some non-lethal options like pepper spray so the gun is not your only option should a situation turn violent at your business.

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Never heard of that band.

Some people suggest leaving the gun in your desk. I think that's a crappy option. The gun belongs on your body.

But, I will at least mention that I've seen day planners that hold a gun. You could take it with you wherever you go in the office. OBVIOUS problem is if you forget it and leave it on someone else's desk :rofl:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/cont.../Dillon__039_s___039_Plan_B__039__Day_Planner

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/CCWPlannerPAGE.htm

http://www.jagwear.com/jagwear1.htm

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-d...ock-27-walther-ppks-sig-sauer-p239-9mm-k.html