close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need to find a home for my GSD.....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by W Turner, Feb 21, 2005.

1. W Turner

W Turner

We adopted Stoner from a local animal shelter last April and he has lived in a home with another GSD, a cat and as of July of '04 a newborn with great success. Stoner is app. 24 months old, is a healthy 75lbs. and is a great companion dog. He is neutered, and is up to date on all of his shots and his heartworm preventative.

The problem is that he has a severe allergy to fleas that causes him to have occasional outbreaks that closely resemble severe acne on a teenager's face. This reaction creats dander that has contributed to our son continually staying congested/sick throughout the winter. We have taken him to the vet for numerous treatments for this including oral medication and steroid shots; this is in addition to keeping him shaved regularly. We have started treating him with benadryl and this seems to have helped with the allergic reaction.

The other factor that has made me decide to find another home for him is that he needs a fenced yard. We own 2.75 acres and it is not feasible to fence it in right now due to financial reasons and this is not an issue with our other GSD. He will not do his business while on a leash or tie-out and when we let him out, he runs off an average of 3x a week. In our area this will eventually result in him being shot.

I am asking for help to find a home for this dog. If we did not both work full-time and have a newborn, it would be different, but my son's health comes first. We have already rescued Stoner from being put down at a shelter, so I want to find a good home for him.

I did not post this to hear recriminations about how adopting a dog is for life or about how I am a bad pet owner for wanting to push him off to another family. I want to find a good home that can meet his needs. I have already contacted a GSD rescue in our area and they are working to find a foster home for him, but he is the third dog on the waiting list.

If you are interested, I can send a pic in an email.

Thanks,
    Bull

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Hey Bull......

You may want to repost this in General Non Glocking for a little more traffic and viewings......(it will get viewed alot more over there than here in the Pet Forum)

I do wish you all the luck in the world.....I am betting one of our GT'ers will be able to help you out by finding a good home for Stoner........

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Also, you might want to post in your state club, if there is one.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

too bad i'm not closer, my wife just said i don't need another dog. for the fence you might want to look at instant fence and invisable fence. i have the instent fence, totally wireless and keeps my girls in the yard and safe.

5. CottenClown

CottenClown

I know a woman in North Carolina that runs a German Shepherd rescue. Great lady. I've adopted three dogs from her over the years. If you've had no luck, let me know and I'll dig her number up. She'd probably even go to you to pick him up. BTW, last I knew, she has about 10 fenced acres. Knowing her, it's gotten bigger by now. Let me know and I'll get her number if you need it.

6. W Turner

W Turner

Cotten Clown..

That is great. If you could PM me with her contact info I would greatly appreciate it. So far we have taken an ad out in the local paper, maintained communication with the rescue, posted an ad at our vet's office, and he is currently listed on www.petfinder.org We had a few calls from the ad, but nobody would commit, especially with the fenced in yard requirement.

The good news is that his skin is almost completely clear and we are able to pretty effectively manage it for right now so the urgency to find him a home is not there. If we find a rescue that could take him in or find a good home, we would still part with him as he would be better suited to a home that has more free time to take up with him.

Thanks again,
    Bull

7. CottenClown

CottenClown

PM sent. Let me know if there is anything more I can do.