Need tech support type help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Clyde in CO, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

So a couple of days ago my Trendmicro PC Cillin anti virus/firewall program quit.

it would no longer update, the task tray icon said 'loading' and was unclickable.

I could end task on the process and get rid of the icon, but could not uninstall the program. After selecting uninstall nothing happens, it just stays in the list.

Called dell tech support, got an indian that tried the same thing six times in a row, then tried safe mode, then said "sorry, call trendmicro"

so my question is how do I remove this POS program that's pooched from my system.

Also, what is the best replacement for it? A while back there was a thread listing free antivirus programs in order of effectiveness that I can no longer find. I also need a firewall. PC Cillin did both of these things, but I'm so pissed I will never use it again.

I needs the helps, thanks in advance.

end of line

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

3. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

wow fast reply~

the program is pooched. thoroughly.

can't remove the program thru the uninstall feature.

ran pcctool.exe and tried to force install, and got an error unable to uninstall because ncfg.exe is missing.

any other way to uninstall it/

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

In the instructions I think it mentions using the CD or reinstalling the program over the present install if you don't have it on CD and installed through a download.