Need tech (night vision/thermal) insight for work

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by NW IL River Rat, Jun 12, 2020.

1. NW IL River Rat

NW IL River Rat

Due to budgetary constraints (which thanks a real jag-off) seem to change by the week...we got hit *hard*....like punched-by-Hulk hard.

One of the things that is necessary due to geographic limitations and the evolved methods of the criminal element is night vision. This is listed here for the specific reason that I am requesting insight from guys who have experience with nv/thermals during the course of time on the job. Here are features we've been trying to locate

Able to take clear photographs
    Able to record and store video via memory card
    Able to withstand rain/dew
    Operational range between 50-300 yards (would love 600...but we know that ain't happening)
    Price limit is $500
    If at all possible, needs to be devoid of any "aggressive" features (cross hairs, reticles as often featured on a scope).

If any of y'all can throw your experience/knowledge out there to help us out....maybe we can put the nagging notion that I'm looking for a unicorn that poops out gold coins to rest (not banking very hard on that lol).

2. SAR

SAR CLM

$500 is a pipe dream for quality night vision equipment. What you’re talking about is Gen III which runs into the thousands. I have used both. Thermal is better for picking up heat signatures in the dark, but isn’t great for clear photos unless you are looking for just a glow. Night Vision is capable of taking some decent photos, but you’re talking clear photos out to 300 yards, I’m going to say go Gen III minimum and you won’t get out the door for $500. Also, you will need a separate camera and adapter to go along with your NV optic.

NW IL River Rat likes this.

3. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Contact your ILEAS regional coordinator. There is a specialty equipment inventory available and the item you need may be something you can borrow.

NW IL River Rat likes this.
  4. NW IL River Rat

NW IL River Rat

Thanks for the tip....I know a little about ILEAS, but didn't know about that.

BL33D 4 M3 likes this.
  5. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Yes sir. Its a good resource. Hope you score.

On a side note, I did get my LEOSA qual done through IROCC. Thanks again for your kind offer to help on that.

6. NW IL River Rat

NW IL River Rat

Any time. And it still stands. Last I heard it seemed that IROCC quals are becoming available again....but if that doesn't hold....let me know (as long as I still work in Illinois - we'll see how long that lasts give the current shenanigans in the states/country).

BL33D 4 M3 likes this.