close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need suggestions for a new vehicle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kevin108, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

My girl drives about 40 miles a day and I want her to have something reliable. Her 04 Forenza is holding up fairly well. The dealer installed a new head gasket and trued the head. I've installed a timing belt, water pump, cam shaft position sensor, thermostat and maybe another item I'm forgetting.

We'll be ready to buy towards the end of the year. We're planning for a family and have a trailer with two ATVs we need to be able to tow. Loaded, it's 2,000 lbs or less. 4 doors is nice. The higher mileage the better. It would be great to get away with spending less than $30,000.

We originally were looking at a 4-door 4x4 Silverado but I think I'm going to drop the 4x4 requirement I originally had. I wanted to be able to take it down to NC and drive on the beach but other than Carova, the recent law changes have priced that once-enjoyable destination out of my range. Since I doubt I'll ever get enough use out of 4 wheel drive to justify the cost and mileage hit, I think 2WD will be just fine for this vehicle.

I'm considering an SUV or a car big and strong enough to handle the trailer. We get great pricing on GM stuff, so I'm partial there but I'm open to most anything.

2. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

Traverse or Silverado. Drive them both and pick the one you like best.

If you are planning to trade in 24-42 months buy the truck for sure. Resale value is much better.

3. RenoF250

RenoF250

Look at the F-150 with the ECO-Boost.

4. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

For a compact SUV you might check out the RAV4. It comes with an optional 269 horsepower V6 in either 2 or 4 wheel drive. The V6 will tow 3500lbs which is alot for a compact suv. I own a 4 wheel drive V6 and I am averaging 20mpg around town. I like the extra power of the V6 too. It really puts a smile on my face when I step on the gas.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. Kevin108

We will definitely give those a look! I've said often how I never plan to buy another Jeep but in the back of my mind, the Wrangler Unlimited keeps popping up as an option here... :shocked:

6. glock509

glock509

I second the ford

7. Firefightermdc

Firefightermdc

Ford has more interior space for sure, being a prior ford tech, I'd wait a few years to see how reliable that Eco boost motor will be..Chevy has a much better warranty

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I got the call nobody want's two days ago. My older sis called me frantically, that her niece was in a collision with her 2010 Volkswagon Jetta. Her parents are in FL, I am in NE, the niece goes to college here, and the wreck happened about three miles away from my home.

The pic is about 48 hrs. old:
    [​IMG]

Get the vehicle with the highest safety rating. She walked away from a highway speed t-bone when the driver crossed the line and over corrected. Luckily both sustained minor injuries.

My take home point is upgrade to the latest safety features if you can!

9. Restless28

Restless28

Hold out for the new Hyundai Sante Fe this fall and into 2012. A sport version is coming soon and a 7 passenger one is coming next year. Both are totally redesigned and carry a killer warranty!

If I pay the stupid tax on a car again, we would give that Sante Fe Sport a looksee.

10. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I've traditionally been a Jeep fan, but my brother's Wrangler Unlimited. It was seriously under-powered and the gas mileage sucks. He did a cold air kit, cat-back exhaust and chip tune. That helped quite a bit with the power, but the mileage is still not great. Eric

11. Restless28

Restless28

I'm glad she is ok! My cousin put her daughter in a MB because of safety concerns.

12. Firefightermdc

Firefightermdc

Op said it will be something that needs to pull..that Hyundai is a good buy

13. Kevin108

The "latest safety features" are why her Forenza carries a salvage title. A few years back she bumped into the back of a car that stopped suddenly. Literally, a slight, slow bump. Both cars had the same cheap fiberglass-over-honeycomb bumpers. No damage at all to either vehicle. There wasn't even any paint transfer! But both of her airbags deployed and the seatbelts locked. She sustained injury to her arm from the airbag. Safety indeed. :upeyes:

Sorry for the rant. Glad your niece is okay! A Jetta isn't going to be able to tow two ATVs although I did tow my one quite a bit with my 05 Corolla. (Sold it in 08 when I moved 2.5 miles away from work. Couldn't justify $400 a month for new car/new car insurance no further than I was driving.)

[​IMG]

14. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

A Hyundai is a good buy but I hope you never plan on selling it or trading it in. They drop like a stone!

15. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

My wife drives a 2011 Rav4 Sport FWD V6, and it is a great vehicle. Power is more than ample, the back seats are huge(I am 6'3 and can fit comfortably in the back seat, with the front seat all the way back), and there is plenty of cargo room.

16. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I just got a 2012 wrangler...not an unlimited, but the new motor/trans combo gets me 18ish mpg in a 4x4 on 32 in mud terrain tires. Great power difference from the 3.8 JKs.

Be aware that the max tow package is needed to tow a trailer like yours.

If you like Jeep but want a little more family friendly vehicle, look at the new Grand Cherokees. Big upgrade from older models and plenty of towing capacity.

17. Glock 1

Glock 1

That ****'ll buff out. Glad everyone is ok. I loved my 05 Jettas.

18. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

A 2 wheel dr quad cab-

You don't have heavy towing so a Ford 3.7 v6 supercrew would work.

Or a Ram quad cab with 4.7 v8

Or a Tundra 4.6 v8 doublecab

Chevy-oh no, not after the last 3 Chevy trucks I owned Don't do that to yourself.

You will find a 4 door pickup is probably the most versatile vehicle you can buy-it has a hundred uses.

Good luck

MG

19. kiole

kiole

What year is it? The 2012s engine is much better then the 07-11 engines. I just picked up a 2012 sport s and it's got better get up and go then the older motors.

20. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

I just bought this 2012 Toyota Rav4 today and I love it. If you get the optional V6 you would have no issues towing the trailer and still get good gas mileage. These vehicles are amazingly spacious inside.

[​IMG]