close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need suggestion for first handgun

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Swiper, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Swiper

Swiper

Hello! New member here. Enter at own risk. :whistling:

I'm thinking about purchasing my first handgun. I work for a Prosecutor's Office and some of our 'clients' are not God's best children. I will primary be using it for home defense and at the occasional concealed carry if I ever will feel threatened enough.

I have never fired with a handgun, ie. pistol, revolver, but I am used to military assault rifles (M4, M16, etc) as I have a 10+ years of military experience. Hence, I have no true preference to a certain model, size, or type of ammo. However, I have carried, but never fired, a M9 pistol and found it to be quite cumbersome and way too big for comfort (I'm a big fella at 6'3, 230lbs).

So I'm looking for a Glock which is a good option for home defense and the occasional concealed carry. I will probably only be at the range every six months or so to maintain proficiency as it will not be a hobby or a sport weapon.

Any suggestion on a Glock model that might be a good match for me? Thanks in advance. :supergrin:

2. Swiper

Swiper

Bumping my thread.

3. Jim S.

Jim S.

A handgun is not the first choice for home defense, especially if you do not practice with it OFTEN!
    It sounds to me like you would want something on the smaller side that would be easy to carry and easy to shoot.
    One of the Glocks in 9mm would be the way to go for this. A compact such as the model 19 would be a good place to start.
    Actually holding them and shooting them before buying would be nice. That way you get the one that feels good to you and shoots good to you.

4. Halojumper

Halojumper

Based on how you described your situation, I would suggest a Glock 19. Some may argue that other calibers are more effective (and I'm sometimes in that group), but the 9mm will be easier to handle and control, especially if you don't plan to practice a whole lot.

5. Flinter

Flinter Hornady Fan

I would highly recommend a G19 as a starter, since you mentioned the possibility of future concealed carry. I would also recommend you try to get trigger time at least monthly if at all practical.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

My suggestion is to talk to your County Sheriff Department if you are a county prosecutor, or your state police if you are a state prosecutor. See what they carry. You make contact with some of their training guys, they can give you some insight and possibly hook you up with some range time.

If you are a no practice/low practice type, you might consider a revolver, maybe a model 10 or 13 or some other K frame.

7. 2nd2none

2nd2none

G38(45GAP) or G23(.40). The G38 has a little bit less "kick", but ammo is harder to find

8. Swiper

Swiper

Thank you for all your responses so far.

I work for US Army's Prosecutor's Office on a military base. Hence, I cannot bring a weapon to work or to any on-post ranges (at least not anymore). The MPs here all carry the M9 pistol (9mm Beretta) which is not the most stellar choice out there.

I'm aware that a shotgun probably would be the best option for home defense, but I would like to be able to conceal carry if there was a need for it and don't want two weapons (have a limited budget). The weapon would be resting in a gunvault until the need for it arises.

I'm thinking that perhaps a .45 caliber handgun might be most efficient against an intruder. I am not too concern about the price and availability of ammo as I would probably be firing about 50 rounds a year.

I noticed that there is a Glock Law Enforcement Dealer nearby so I will probably stop by his store and check the glocks out.

9. Tall Pine

Tall Pine

I suggest a G19 also, its a size that can do everything. If you have second thoughts with Glocks or semi-autos, try a good Smith & Wesson 357 revolver of your size preference. A great man stopper that can also shoot 38 special for target/plinking/range fun. Revolvers are utterly simple and reliable. Only downside is round capacity IMHO.

Find a local range that rents guns and try them out. It will open your eyes to all the options. Just stick with a good quality weapon with a reputation for reliability.

Let us know what you decide. HNY

10. Tall Pine

Tall Pine

Get ready to duck. Incoming!

Seriously, get something you will shoot a little more than that. You wont be proficient enough or confident enough to make it effective. 9mm is plenty capable. So is the .45 but it costs 50% more in ammo. Lets get you into something you will shoot more than 50 times a year!!!!!!!

11. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

My suggestion would be the G19 or the G26 used and spend $200 or so on a shotgun for the home if you can.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? It makes a big difference in suggestions, not too mention you would still need a decent holster and some ammo at a bare minimum.

Welcome to GT!

12. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Agreed. 50 rounds a year is not enough to be proficient, especially for someone that has no pistol training experience. If you do stick with the 50 rounds a year I'd invest in at least a laser sight and even that won't help too much if you plan on shooting past 7 yards (steady hands, proper trigger control, etc).

Just my 2 cents.

13. Just1More

Just1More

I'd get a 19 or 23.

14. Swiper

Swiper

About $500 for the gun, $200 for accessories, and maybe $100 a year for ammo and range time. I will have enough of hard time getting my wife's approval for anything above that amount. :embarassed: Yeah, she doesn't like guns so it would be hard enough to get a gun in the first place.

15. TeddyB

TeddyB

The G 19 can handle that 9 mm NATO ammunition with ease. That base carry restriction will lifted as soon as we get this moron out of the Oval Office and send him and his thugs back to the windy city.

16. 654Boomer

654Boomer

Purchase and practice with a G19; your "Alpha and Omega". Your "first and last" pistol that you will need! You won't need anything else, except quality ammunition such as Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +p, Corbon DPX 115 grain +p, Winchester Ranger 127 grain +p+, Remington Golden Saber, Hornady, Federal, etc. etc., . . . or any other of a multitude of quality self-defense loads. :cool:

17. Swiper

Swiper

I might be able to swing a little more ammo and range time, but I don't want to have to rely on it to happen. So the gun will have to be easy to shot just in case. I have been thinking about getting a laser sight for it but it seems to be somewhat out of my price range.

18. Tall Pine

Tall Pine

Join GSSF, wait 3 weeks, keep working on the wife, and buy a Glock of your choice for $398 (a little more for some models).

19. Swiper

Swiper

I will take a look at the G19 when I get to the local Glock dealer. :cool:

20. firedawg60

firedawg60