Need Some Winter Reading!

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by 685cmj, Oct 2, 2007.

1. 685cmj

685cmj Guest

Hey, I think this is my first post! Anyway, I was looking for some meaty and excellent winter reading (here in Minnesota the winters are long and cold, and reading at the fireplace with a hot cup of something is mandatory for survival!), preferably on self defense/tactics/ etc. Would love to hear some recommendations for outstanding things to consider! I am currently about half way through Pincus' Combat Focus Shooting (somewhat disappointing thus far) and recently finished Ayoob's Combat Handgunnery. What else along these lines have you read which really helped formulate your mindset, training or tactics? And thanks!

2. 685cmj

685cmj Guest

Anyone? Anything?

3. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

More books here than you could possibly read in a winter.

https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714820

I do recommend however,

The Long Walk, Slavomir Rawicz
    A Question of Honor, Lynn Olson
    Sea of Gray, Tom Chaffin
    The Bounty, Caroline Alexander
    Blind Man's Bluff, Sherry Sontag
    Into Thin Air, John Krakauer
    Into the Wild, John Krakauer
    Inventing Wyatt Earp, Allen Barra
    Dereliction of Duty, Col. Robert Patterson
    The Cuckoo's Egg, Clifford Stoll
    Troublemaker, Harry Wu

4. 685cmj

685cmj Guest

Hey, Thanks Axel. I actually have read both the Krakauer books, and I agree that they were terrific! I will peruse the others and the mentioned thread. Thanks!

5. Sgt. Rambo

Sgt. Rambo

Great Border war fictional novel just came out called "Crossing the Line" How do I know...i wrote it... It's available through Tate Publishing and just type in the title. I'm hoping to let more people on here know about it. If you like guns, adventure, and current events, you would be helping a fellow GTer out by purchasing it. "Crossing the Line."

6. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink

"To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth" By Jeff Cooper

http://gunsite.com/store/page1.html

"Knowledge of personal weapons and skill in their use are necessary attributes of any man who calls himself free". To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth covers all aspects of shooting including grip, presentation, mindset, weapon and caliber selections. Various uses of other weapons are also covered. 377 pages, soft cover, illustrations. By Jeff Cooper.

7. TFL_Rob

TFL_Rob

I wondered if you have had a chance to finish the book?

I value feedback, so if you're up for it, it'd be great to hear what you have found disappointing.... probably best to do in a new thread.

As for winter reading, if you haven't read Grossman's On Combat or Murray's Training at the Speed of Life, they are great for the issues you asked about.

-Rob Pincus

8. 685cmj

685cmj Guest

Hey Rob! Didn't realize you resided here as well as the Firing Line. Do people here know we have a celebrity in our midst? We had a conversation over there about the book after I had finished...and I am waiting eagerly for your longer treatise coming out next! Thanks for the recommendations as well. You are a scholar and a gentleman, which is far better than being a celebrity!

9. TFL_Rob

TFL_Rob

Okay, Thanks! I recall now... I float around a lot of forums and the "handles" get mixed sometimes.. this is one of the few forums that I, for whatever reason, didn't switch my user name..... back in the old days, people knew "TFL_Rob" was me based on my activity over there!

As for the 2nd book, its been getting a lot of attention lately, I still expect it to be in print by SHOT Show.....

-RJP

10. Dan H

Dan H

I always like to read Jack London stories and Robert Service poetry during the winter months.

Call of the Wild, White Fang, Cruise of the Dazzler, and the Sea Wolf were much better read as an adult than for lit class in high school.

:supergrin:

Dan

11. Sundown

Sundown

Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. Best book, ever.
    On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
    Principles of Self Defense, by Col. Jeff Cooper
    The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker
    Any of the War Stories series by Col. Oliver North
    Band of Brothers, by Stephen Ambrose

12. tsherry

tsherry Guest

Shameless commercial plug by me, the author. Natural disasters, extreme weather, adversity, and a little gunplay. Available on lulu.com for a five buck download, or a heinously expensive trade paperback. (Not happy about this, but it's beyond my control for the moment).
    :wavey:

13. seamus

seamus Guest

I just finished a book about the New Guinea campaign in WWII called "The Ghost Mountain Boys" by James Campbell. It's an excellent book mostly about the 32nd division's struggles in the early days of the war in the Pacific. It's a great read, you won't want to put it down.

14. saunderscc

saunderscc US NAVY CHIEF

I say anything by Vince Flynn. The newest one in his Mitch Rapp series "Protect and Defend" was great, so great it got me hooked on the entire series.

15. BillHickock

BillHickock Guest

Being abit of an old sea dog...Patrick O'Brian's "The Wine Dark Sea", (Master and Commander author). I'm hooked on Captain Jack Aubrey and the Stephen Maturin series and the men on the HMS Surprise. Talk about honorable men kicken ***** and taking names. I was born 200 years too late. Oh yeah...the nightstand #2, "In the Gravest Extreme", Massad Ayoob.

16. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

17. night

night

How about Shelby Foote's 3 volume history of the Civil War. I spent a whole summer reading it once. One of my best reads ever.

18. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

19. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In