close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need some tips for whitetails (legal please!)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 357glocker, Dec 18, 2002.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

Well, muzzleloading season is winding down here in Nebraska, and I'm having some problems seeing deer. Earlier in the season I passed on some does in hopes of tagging a buck but now they have become nocturnal due to hunting pressure. My past couple of outings I have haven't seen any but they are around because of fresh signs. My question: are there any ways to lure these guys out of hiding during legal shooting hours? I'm hunting alone on a small piece of property so driving them is out of the question. Any tips or advise to tag one late in the season would be appreciated.

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

get "Aggressive Whitetail Hunting " by Greg Miller (really any of his books are good.

He pretty much tells you to find the bucks bedding and feeding sreas, if the buck is nocturnal, slip in close to his bedding area under cover of darkness and wait for him to return. His books are a fast read andvery informative.

he also has another good one called "Proven Whitetail Tacis" and "Rublines " is good also.

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

You need to get close to their "bedding area"... with hunting pressure, deer don't come out till right at dark if they can help it. Hunting a "bedding area" is hard to do without getting busted though...

If you don't have a "bedding area" on your hunting land, you may be out of luck or at least have to get lucky.

Remember, if it were real easy to hunt, everyone would do it!

4. TheActor

TheActor unsane

Late season is tough as the old bucks will be almost totally nocturnal. Younger ones that do not get a chance to mate will be a good bet with the use of scent. Bedding areas, food and water sources are a good bet. Getting on a trail to a bedding area well before dawn or hunting a feed area in the evening are good. Bagging bucks this late his rack might come off in your hands though. ;) Been there done that. Doe in estrus scents will still work but rival male scents won't have the punch they do in early season. Good luck.