Need some serious hvac advice!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Foxterriermom, Jul 13, 2020.

1. RovinOn

RovinOn

Now I have to ask,Was this an entire new system or just a condensing unit replacement?
    When you say they didn’t replace refrigerant lines? It could be that the original evaporator coil in the air handler is mismatched to the unit.
    If this was just a condenser change the same type should have been used.
    Now I have to ask was this a reputable dealer or just someone that installs them.

Foxterriermom likes this.
  2. Dave514

Dave514

So I just happened to talk to my HVAC guy and ran your problem by him. He's been doing this for 46 years and is one of those guys that doesn't look like he could do basic math but is a whiz on anything mechanical.

This is what he said.

1. Change the thermostat. Solid state thermostats can sometimes have a glitch of sensitivity that is so great that it will cut off the minute it's cool enough and kick back on the minute it's barely not as cold. He said that for a new and functioning unit to be short cycling, it is mostly likely the feedback from the thermostat that is telling it to turn on and off and not something inherent to the unit that will make it short cycle.

2. Have insulation put around "the boot" of the vent you saw the condensation. There is probably a spot where the warm attic is easily getting air to the duct work which is now colder than with the old unit because the new unit is stronger/more efficient for whatever reason. Have the person check for any exposed duct work that doesn't have any insulation covering it.

3. 3 ton for 1470 is a lot of unit and it is possible (but not super likely if the old unit was 3 tons and worked fine) that it's not until the hotest part of the day that it requires the amount of energy from the system that it will stay on for extended periods of time.

4. Make sure that the main unit doesn't have some kind of energy saver system on it that it came with or has been mandated by your local electric company. That has been known to cause short cycle issues as the unit is trying to be as efficient as possible with the electric usage.

5. Least likely but possible is a problem with the board inside the new unit that should be replaced if all the other steps don't work.

3. pgg00

pgg00

20200707_130200.jpg

4. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I have documents the on/off times and durations for two separate days for 10 hour stretches and supplied those to the company.

The inside and outside units were both replaced and the existing lines were used. I got three different quotes from three different companies and they all said they could use the existing lines.

The installer I used is the only authorized American Standard dealer in the area. He worked for one of the other local companies for seven years and has been out on his own for two years now. He had excellent reviews, although I realize they don't necessarily reflect authenticity.

Is it possible that both thermostats that have been used weren't good?

RovinOn likes this.
  5. Foxterriermom

Thank you for all of this! I would much rather the unit be running for longer durations of time than all the short cycling that is happening. When the second thermostat was installed, I was specifically told not to engage the energy saving feature that is has. I even marked the thermostat to remember not to touch that button.

All of the input given here from everyone is most appreciated and I feel like I am better informed.

-JCN-, Dave514 and Rinspeed like this.
  6. snappy

snappy

Let us know what the other company says after looking at it.

7. Foxterriermom

This may sound ridiculous, but this has caused me so much stress since it was installed on June 18th that I'm having chest pains. It's instances like this I hate being a female and not having a grasp on basic mechanics and how a system operates. On top of that, I have the classic female disposition of not wanting to be a trouble maker or running the risk of being labelled a "problem" customer. This is my first experience with a problem this deep and I'm really struggling with it.

8. snappy

snappy

Relax. Take a deep breath. This is just a small hurdle for you. Stop worrying about how you may be perceived with the contractor and just be honest and upfront and let them know this was and is a big financial cost to you. They’ll get it figured out and this will be behind you.

NJ1911, redrick, rugercat78 and 2 others like this.
  9. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
  10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

You are in my prayers.

FullClip and Foxterriermom like this.
  11. Foxterriermom

Thank you very much! That means a lot to me.

12. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

[​IMG]

13. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Best of luck to you FTM, did you consider calling the manufacturer.

14. RovinOn

RovinOn

On need to worry,,,As you stated in the beginning you laid out some worthwhile money to get this done. With everything you’ve explained this is not a correct operation. Of course this isn’t that old and under warranty. You are not being a pest customer you just want what you paid for and this has to be corrected.
    Let us know how you make out with this.

15. garander

garander

Wow mom. Sorry to hear about your problems. Hvac can be a dirty business sometimes
    My bud can get a Goodman package , 80,000 btu furnace evaporator coil and 2 1/2 ton condenser for less than $2000. Problem is many of these places charge $5000 to instal it all
    And it’s not that hard really.
    I just had my outside condenser plus line set and inside coil replaced last week
    A couple days later I bought this Honeywell big screen for the wall. You can use your phone to run it. What I notice is, It changes temperature very slowly
    In fact, I can set it at 76. It will run for twenty minutes then shut down. It will still be reading 76. Then when it restarts it’s still showing 76. I don’t know how it does it
    It has a mind of its own and it’s working awesome.
    Plus , I don’t believe you can change the start stop terms on these newer stats like you could with the mercury ones. 6D6017D1-2F37-4968-8B7F-796B757AD8E7.jpeg 6D6017D1-2F37-4968-8B7F-796B757AD8E7.jpeg 6D6017D1-2F37-4968-8B7F-796B757AD8E7.jpeg

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I don't know crap about AC. I live in the north and don't even know how to spell AC. Having said that...

Based on what someone else already sai, it is possible your new therostats are too sensitive. Buy 10 in a row, different brands, and they might ALL be problemtic.

What if you wrapped your thermistadt in a sock? Something that buffers it, something that makes it take longer to measure air changes?

I bet a good chance that fixes the problem (not the correct fix, just a test "fix"). I'd try duct tapping a coccoon around mine, just to see what happens :)

FullClip and Foxterriermom like this.
  17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Men stress and get chest pains too. The secret is, they don't admit it. That's why men live longer :)

18. Foxterriermom

Yes, but after I speak with the representative from the company coming tomorrow I want to give my installer one last opportunity to fix the issue before I go to the manufacturer. I don't want to play dirty and accelerate any bad feelings that may cause if I don't have to.

19. Dave514

Dave514

Not surprising at all. You are somewhat powerless in a situation beyond your(and my) expertise with money tied up and you want it right. I can get that way about car trouble that goes beyond my knowledge.

But like 99% of things, when it's all said and done, you'll look back and laugh.

In the meantime, it drags on and sucks. Hang in there.

20. The Father

The Father

Variable speed blower, first difficulty. “Variable” means variety of problems. Single speed, keep it simple. Simple thermostat. Heat/cool. Fan. Off/on/auto
    Temp just a dial.
    All variable & programmable parts are BS and problems.

NJ1911, Resqu2 and Foxterriermom like this.