Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Ruger Precision Rifle gen 2 or a Remington 700 5R gen 2 stainless?

• Ruger Precision Rifle gen 2

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Remington 700 5R gen 2 stainless

Votes: 9 32.1%
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Like its already been said, Savage or Tikka.

Savage has multiple long range rifles available in almost every price ranges (and I'm a bit of a Savage fanboy), with the added benefit of not being a Remington. Even the cheap-o Axis II sitting in my safe will do 1 MOA with a crap scope and any off the shelf 30-06.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Another good rifle is the TC Venture. I have one in 30.06 and it will shoot as good as they said it would.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have seen good reviews of the Savage Hog Hunter in .308 but have never shot one myself.

You might also check out their “long range hunter” which I believe has a 24” barrel and may be more suitable out to 1,000 yards.

Is this for target shooting or hunting, or both? There’s a new trend in long range target shooting to go with a 6.5 mm of some kind. Could be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My brother has a hog hunter. Good hunting rifle but not nearly a precision rifle. I’m assuming the OP is looking for more of a target rifle since Ruger Precision was one of the original choices. Again, CDNN has the RPR for 899 for 6.5 and 999 for 308 with 2 pmags, base and rings. Pretty good price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright all. I did it. I went out and bought the Bergara B14 HMR. I love it. For 900 bucks . . . Threaded barrel, Adjustable cheek rest, adjustable pull, box magazine, and shoots sub moa at 100 yards. I dont think it could be beat on what is offered for the price.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Great decision. Like I said, I love my Kimber, my 700 was a money pit, Ruger pr is ok. My next rifle will most definently will be a Bergara. You made a fantastic choice! Just wait until word gets out on these, price is going to jump.

·
M62/76
12,359 Posts
+1 for the Ruger as I have no use for a post-FG Remington firearm.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts