need some SERIOUS help on rifle selection!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Airslick, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ruger Precision Rifle gen 2

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Remington 700 5R gen 2 stainless

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. Airslick

Airslick

So . . . I have been beating myself up researching and researching which bolt action rifle I would like to buy. I have narrowed it down to a Ruger Precision Rifle gen 2 or a Remington 700 5R gen 2 stainless. Both chambered in .308 and 20" barrels. I am having trouble deciding on one or the other due to the lack of information out there on which one is more accurate than the other . . . so that leads me to which gun will be sub MOA? Which rifle should i buy?

2. ede

ede

Both ought to be sub MOA big question is at what distance. It's easier to shoot 1/4" at 25 yards than 10" at 1000 yards. I've not seen anything but praise for the Ruger.

1L26, huskerbuttons and Airslick like this.

3. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Of the two you have it narrowed down to I would say it depends on if you want more of a traditional stock of the 700 or the more modern chassis style of the Ruger. Both should be sub MOA capable. I have both, the 700 is in a B&C stock, glass bedded, Timney trigger, lapped in. It beats my box stock precision but not by much. I also have a Kimber LPT and despite what you may read about Kimber rifles on the inter webs it absolutely destroys all my other rifles accuracy wise. It will put a 5 round group sub 1/2 MOA. You may also want to look at Bergara rifles. Very good value imho

Taco Junkie and Airslick like this.
  4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Ruger is far from perfect, but I have no use for new Remingtons.

Valmet, DonGlock26, APERS and 5 others like this.
  5. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Tikkas are great, I agree. Again, I think you should look at Bergara. You can get a HMR B-14 right now under a grand. It’s receiver is based on the 700 so rings and all that stuff is plentiful. Sub MOA guarantee and made in Lawernceville, Ga. if I were in the market for another rifle that’s where I would look. I think these rifles are priced very low for the quality you get. It’s just a matter of time before word gets out on these. I haven’t shot one personally but have looked at more than a few in a couple shops. Really really good value for the dollar

Taco Junkie and Aragorn77 like this.
  6. ronin.45

ronin.45

This^

7. Airslick

Airslick

I

I am looking at the Bergara and I keep finding it is manufactured in Spain.

scoose likes this.
  8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's made in Spain.

scoose likes this.
  9. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I would pass on a new Remington also. I hate to be that guy, but since Freedom Group took over I have seen some really poor quality control, and a very noticeable decline in overall quality.

Obviously I would pick the Ruger.

I would also seriously consider a Savage. They have a lot of options to choose from and really make a hell of a rifle these days.

I have an older Remington, but if I needed a new rifle tomorrow it would be a Savage.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Valmet likes this.
  10. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Bergara is a Spanish company. Bergara USA is in Lawrenceville, Ga. I was told that is where the US market rifles were being produced. I have not seen the location so I have no firsthand knowledge. I’m just saying personally, from what I have seen, dollar for dollar Bergara is the best deal going right now. However, I wouldn’t trade my Kimber for anything not even a $5k custom. Yet, on the internet people hate all over Kimber rifles. Maybe I just have an exceptional one, I don’t know. Bottom line for me, Ruger is ok out of the box and not many options to easily tune it. My 700 needed lots of help, ie: trigger, ditching that crap rubber stocks, lapping lugs, etc. That adds up quick. Tikka, Bergara, heck even Howa are ones I would be looking at. I had a Savage 10p that was ok but nothing spectacular as well. To me, the 700 and the Savage were pretty equal out of the box, neither are amazing. Like I said you will probably be very happy with whatever you get but Bergara is making a 700 based rifle that makes Remington look very cheap for really close to the same price. If the B14 HMR had been around I would not have even messed with my 700 and would have saved a grand in the process.

11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"since Freedom Group took over I have seen some really poor quality control, and a very noticeable decline in overall quality"

And if you think their quality control is bad, you ought to try dealing with their customer service.

Remington is no longer Remington. The only thing wrong with the Ruger precision rifle in 308 is that it only has a 20 inch barrel which is not optimum for ranges much past 800 yards. For long range the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better choice because it comes with a 24 inch barrel and is a better long range cartridge than the 308 anyway.

Taco Junkie likes this.
  12. Airslick

Airslick

I may start looking into a Kimber. I am going for the most accurate rifle within the 1200 to 1500 dollar range. I do also want to shoot this rifle out to a thousand yards.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1

Savage or Tika . Remington is can be hit or miss and remington outdoors aka freedom group owned by ceribus investments has been circling the drain for some years now and ruger can be better but Tika and Savage are shooters and better rifles all around .

14. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

I have a Kimber LPT as a stated earlier. I think a lot of the complaints about Kimber rifles( never seen any about the LPT) is mostly due to the fact that Kimber tends to build very light hunting rifles with relatively thin barrels. You need to have a good foundation of shooting to get a Kimber hunting rifle to perform to its capabilities. As for the LPT it is more of a medium heavy barrel, not a bull barrel. I take my time between shots, about 90 or so seconds and have hade nothing but tremendous results with it. The furthest I have shot so far is 600 yards but with the 24” barrel mine has 1k is very doable. I load 168 smk over 42 gr of rl15 and the rifle loves it. However, I have shot 165 fusion and Hornady through it well under MOA on 5 shots. I will never ever let my LPT go. My buddy has a 4K+ custom rifle and we shoot neck and neck even when we swap.

15. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Let us know what you end up with

16. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Older 5r’s yea.
    Newer ones,,,,,,,,meh.
    I voted the ruger, adjustability and modularity is great

17. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Buy a used 700 5R Remington, avoid the dumpster fire that is their current production.

GlockTrader45 likes this.
  18. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

There are much better options than Remington these days. Mine is good now but I have over $2k not including glass in it and my $1k box stock Kimber kicks it’s a$$. Remington is not the only game in off the shelf precision rifle anymore. If you want a project and are willing to pour cash into it, sure. But if you want to just shoot, Tikka, Bergara, Kimber, Steyr, FN,Howa, Weatherby (rebranded Howa) are all better out of the box than most Remingtons. Hell, if you look around you can probably get a savage precision for under $700 with 5r rifling. Funny thing, I had my 700 with all that money poured into it so my neighbor approached me about selling his Kimber. I had read all kinds of internet stuff about how Kimber rifles were not real great so I wasn’t interested. We went to the range and the second I sent a round off I had to have it. Made me feel silly for the amount of effort I had poured into the 700. The Kimber absolutely crushed the 700. I got the Ruger precision because a guy a know needed money and threw a crazy number at me. I bought it, have shot it a couple times but it doesn’t hold a candle to the Kimber either. I use both the 700 and Ruger as loners for friends now when we get together and shoot.

19. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

If you want a Ruger Precision look at CDNN NOW! They have them under a grand