Need some opinions, this morning started out like crap

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Delndskyjmpr, Sep 21, 2019.

1. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

Delete this thread
    Park it in the hood with the spare key in the ignition.
    You wanted a hemi challenger anyway

NJ1911 and nrajeff like this.
  2. teeceetx

teeceetx

Beautiful car, much like mine! Get it fixed properly!!! Don't try and fix it before you do, you may only create more problems.

BTW, I ALWAYS park it in gear, either 1st or Rev then apply the parking brake. For start up, I ALWAYS push in the clutch, put tranny in neutral, then put a foot on both the clutch and brake, THEN hit the start button. I always wait a few seconds before putting it in gear, THEN release the parking brake (in case I'm in the wrong gear).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    FlyFisher1 and Delndskyjmpr like this.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Spend $150 get a remote garage door opener. Vice grip, rubber hammer, can of spray paint. Done.

(Or just the remote door opener,moody shop)

nrajeff likes this.
  4. nrajeff

nrajeff

I was backing my Vette out of the garage, with the engine off. I put it into neutral, opened driver's door and started pushing it backwards when it picked up speed before I could jump in and close door before it got to garage entrance. Despite being made of fiberglass, doors on a 1967 Vette are pretty strong. Didn't hurt the Vette door much, but it took a chunk out of the trim around the garage door opening.

My 1969 Buick's clutch safety switch can be easily disabled using a paperclip as a jumper wire. It comes in handy when you're trying to find TDC, and you need to reach inside the car to bump the engine and then check the #1 spark plug hole over and over. Just make sure it's in neutral, or things get exciting.

treg and Delndskyjmpr like this.
  5. Berto

Berto woo woo

That's a sucky thing to happen. Hopefully it be fixed to your satisfaction....hate brain farts.

6. norton

norton

Agents come in two forms.
    Captive and Independent.
    Captive agents are really just employees of the one company they sell/service for.
    Independents have contracts with multiple companies. They really of course are looking out for themselves, but are more likely to be on your side rather then the companies.

7. Glockman4

Glockman4

Just pay the $100 deductible and get it fixed. **** happens. I have to get a new bumper for my 2 year old truck due to a deer collision. It’s a lease and has to be turned in as new. I’ve already filed the claim.

lazarus66 likes this.
  8. OGW

OGW SAF

As others have said, get it fixed properly and quit beating yourself. Humans (every single farking one of us) are fallible and f.u. periodically.

I've been driving manuals all my life and the ritual has always been to set the parking brake, vehicle in neutral when I park it (and I back into the garage all the time). Before I hit the start, it's clutch in and wiggle the shifter. If I get out for any reason, it's neutral, set the parking brake and wiggle the shifter first. I will park in gear if on a hill, but the ritual takes over the minute I get in the vehicle. Motor memory has saved my dumb ass many times, I'm sure.

nrajeff likes this.
  9. FlyFisher1

FlyFisher1

Pretty sure it’s going to be more than $100 deductible unless he has an incredible policy on the mustang. Get a quote and make a decision based upon the insurance adjusters quote.

10. Delndskyjmpr

Delndskyjmpr

So I finally just put the car back in the garage, this time left in N and set E brake. Just gonna have to get the muscle/ motor memory back, been 13 yrs sine I’ve had a manual transmission.

11. Delndskyjmpr

Delndskyjmpr

Yeah way more than a $100, I think I actually have $1000 deduct., just to cut down on my policy premium. Out of my 30 yrs of driving, only had one claim. So just playing the odds I guess. Just gonna suck it up and pay to have it fixed, the referral I got, the guy does high end European sports cars so pretty sure he’s good at what he does and even if I have to pay a lil extra.

One of my neighbors came over, she underwrites business policies and even she said more than likely my rates would increase filing a claim cause I was at fault.

OGW likes this.
  12. OGW

OGW SAF

You've got it. If it's fixed well, you'll forget what it looked like and remember the lesson. You've got a helluva nice car and don't need any reminders of a brain fart.

Maine likes this.
  13. RenoF250

RenoF250

Leave it in 1st, it does not want to roll forward in 1st anymore than reverse. (sometimes reverse is a bit lower geared but nothing to worry about).

Take it to a shop and get a quote, if <$4k just pay for it. I let insurance pay for a claim that cost them ~$2k and my premium increase over 3 years cost ~$8k.

14. Delndskyjmpr

Delndskyjmpr

i was saying the same thing earlier, end up paying a rate increase that won’t go down, at some point you end up paying way more.

15. benben

benben

I work at a large collision center, that’s a huge understatement! That’s going to be an expensive repair, definitely will need a door shell. And even though it’s new, with that color the painter will need to blend the adjacent panels, so the fender and quarter will be sprayed also, unless you have AllState, State Farm, Geico, or Progressive! If you have any of these......sorry about your luck!

They tend to take a bad situation like you crushing your door on your new car and then completely $hitting on you to complete the nightmare! I hate them all!

Wayward Son, K. Foster and Maxx702 like this.
  16. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

That's gonna need a new door. Make damned sure the body shop doesn't hang a "like quality" used door on it. It's a new car. Both insurance companies and body shops like to push that crap.

17. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Sorry, this is an insurance claim; writing a check for this one would be painful. Your next concern should be quality paint and body work. One strategy is to find out who your auto dealership uses for new cars that are damaged in transport or in their shop., then use them.

18. Maxx702

I can only imagine how aggrivating it must be dealing with insurance companies for the majority of your buisness.
    I'm in an industry that makes me deal with them only occasionally.
    In every single claim, I see:
    Horrible communication
    Dealing with disgruntled under paid adjusters
    Lowball estimates (even after you fight them there is no meat on the bone)
    Delayed payments

The body shop buisness has gotta be tough.

19. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Insurance companies often have qualified repair shops that can do the estimate and repairs without adjuster involvement. In my experience at Allstate our most satisfied customers used that option. The added benefit is the insurance company will often guarantee the work and step in if there is a problem between you and the shop. If you pick your own shop that’s off the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrajeff likes this.
  20. Maxx702

And insurance companies direct everyone to their "preferred shops" for the same reason they do everything else: Keeping claims to an absolute minimum. I doubt any of the cost cutting policies these shops agree to in order to get on that list benefit the insured.

benben and treg like this.