close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some online tutorials to learn programming

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jumper, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Jumper

Jumper

Hi Tech Talk -

I am building a robot and I need to learn some basic programming. I am thinking Visual Basic would be the easiest but what about Java and C++? Is programming hard to learn? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Blue59

Blue59

What language do you need to program the robot in? Is it a PIC microcontroller type-thing?
    ~

3. Jumper

Jumper

I havent decided yet. It was going to depend on what was available for pre-made downloadable programs or, what was possible to do myself. The PIC microcontroller is definitely an option. There are some smart devices out there taht could allow it to function in a WiFi environment with the processing /control program running on my desktop. I imagine these options would require knowledge of C++ but I'm not sure.

4. mouser

mouser CLM

In all probability, your 'bot will end up using either a Basic Stamp or a PIC processor. Each has their own "language", loosely based on a very slimmed down version of Basic. You wouldn't end up using Visual Basic to program the robot's actions, because most of the Visual Basic environment is for displaying the program in a Windows type environment.
    There are processors which will allow you to have more complex actions with the robot, but for these, you will have to integrate memory chips along with the processor -> not for the uninitiated.
    If you PM me, I'll send you a PDF with the Basic Stamp programming instructions. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of a PIC SDK.

5. mfackler

mfackler

*Sorry* Hijacking your thread */Sorry*

I too have been interested in learning a bit about Electronics and Micro controllers. I know a little programing (Basic, VB, PHP, C {Hello World}) I have a few Radio Shack Books as well a a few others they seem to be OK, but nothing really seems to have "stuck" yet. I think it might be time for some "hands on." Can anyone recommend a good resource for learning? (I also wouldn't mind picking up some Assembly language along the way) I'm thinking some kind of kit.

Thanks

Mike

6. Jumper

Jumper

I have seen a lot of starter kits. Budget Robotics has some great resources. I would start there.

7. lens

lens

Check out this IEEE Robotics group. Send Email to the address listed asking for some pointers to WHERE you can get the info you are looking for.

http://www.robotics-boston.org/

Good luck.

8. gte338m

gte338m

If you are interrested in Java, you can find free tutorials at java.sun.com.

If you are trying to write code for a robot, might look at the MIDP API after you learn Java.