close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Some More Help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by blue0623, Jul 23, 2006.

1. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

I'm looking to find a copy of window 2000 or 98se that I can load onto my computer. I've got an old system that I tried to load XP on and since then the nic card won't work because of the drivers(which I can't seem to find) Anyone happen to still happen to have a copy that I could get(buy) off of them.

Thanks in advance!!

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to just install a newer NIC?

BTW, are you certain the problem is lack of driver support and not defective hardware?

3. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

Yea it would but the slots in the computer ar the older longer ones not the PCI slots. And i've went all over and no one carries the old cards(much less any that would be any more compatible with XP) I would of love it if that one would of worked but that's the first route I went

And yes cause it worked till I reformatted with XP. I should of left it alone but I was trying to update it. (GUess that's what I get for fixing something that's not broke!!)

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If the PC is THAT old(I haven't saw ISA slots in a while), have you considered a MB/Processor upgrade? That would fix the problem for sure(assuming you wouldn't have to buy a new case, upgrade memory, etc.).

IGF

5. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

Yea I thought of that but I don't know that much about all that to do it and didn't want to spent that much on the computer. I just thought I post and see if I could come up with some cheap bright ideas to get it back up and running. That's why I was just wanted to come up with a copy of a cd someone had laying around, no big deal just a second computer I aquired.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

No Offense, but if you have the mental capacity to turn a screwdriver, you can build a PC. Its really not hard.

IGF

7. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

No offence taken, when I finally got home broke the case apart and low and behold i have two PCI slots. Don't know what i was thnking but anyway this weekend I'll put a new NIC and all should be well.
    Thanks for all the responses, I am tring to learn in more than one area and this site is great for just about anything I want to get into.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yep, that should work out.

Only concern, might be if the onboard NIC somehow conflicts with the PCI NIC card you buy. Just because XP doesn't see it for some reason, its still there.

You can try this..

Restart your computer
    Press Delete during start up
    When you get to the BIOS
    Go through the Integrated Peripherals menu, and see if there is an option to disable the onboard LAN.
    Save any changes and Exit.

I've never installed a NIC card, as I've always used the onboard one on MB's, but it should be pretty painless and fairly cheap. I haven't priced one in ages, but from the looks of things, they aren't real expensive. DLink has a pretty good reputation for quality.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=200&

Good luck
    IGF

9. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

They aren't hard on XP since is a plug and play, when you put them in and restart most of the time all you have to do is run the cd and it does every thing else for you. That's one thing i like about Xp and it's one reason I was trying to put it on that computer so it easier for the wife. I actually work for a cable company so i've got the NIC's that fit pci slots but we don't got much futher than that. When I was trying to get it formatted I had problems and went to the BIOS, I don't remember seeing anything like that but if i have any problems I'll try that first thinks again for all the help IndyGunFreak.