Need some info reference old reload ammo

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sandyc, Feb 23, 2013.

1. sandyc

sandyc

I used to reload many years ago. I have lots of old hunting ammo, 270, 7 mag, and 300 win. Several hundred rounds of each that dates back to 1983. It's been kept in a dry climate (my house) and was well packed and sealed. I just lost interest at that time and loaded up a bunch for future use. My big question, would you use this ammo today and what do you look for to see if it's ok, excluding shooting it. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. My first concern is safety.

While unpacking all this ammo, bullets, primers, powder, etc.., I pulled out all my old RCBS equipment, and theirs a bunch of it. I might even start reloading again someday. Many Thanks

2. ColoCG

ColoCG

As long as the cases still look to be in good shape and your sure that they were safe loads when you loaded them, as long as they have been kept dry, they should be fine. The only way to tell for sure is to shoot them.

If the powder has degraded by some means, your load should be less powerful not more. So beware of squib loads.

The way you describe them if they were my reloads I wouldn't have any reservations about shooting them. I have powder and primers older than that, that I still use.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

There's .45ACP military ball ammo still around from way before 1983 and people still shoot it.

If it's been kept inside and everything and they were *my* reloads, I'd shoot them.

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Assuming the loads were safe then, they are safe now. Other than obvious corrosion, there's really nothing to look at. Even if you pulled a few, it wouldn't tell you anything.

They will work just fine.

5. sandyc

sandyc

Thanks guys for the info. I guess I'll go shoot a few and see if their still dead-on. All this gov restriction BS got me to thinking about pulling this stuff out of storage. I used to do 100 yd groups you could cover with a quarter. Again, thanks.